Sign in with
Your question

Cpu running hot (imo) should i have re-applied thermal paste?

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2011 3:05:19 PM

ok so basically i was building my computer using a 2600k and a noctua nh-d14 about a week ago, and i had put everything together nicely, when i realised i had put the cpu cooler brackets on the wrong way, but by this time i had pressed the cooler down, reasonably hard onto the cpu in an effort to screw the things in, oblivious to the fact it was on the wrong way. This meant it was obviously in contact with the cpu, and the thermal paste.

so i realised i had done this and took the cpu off and switched the brackets and put it on again correctly this time, using the same thermal paste. The paste was now not smooth but kind of bumpy and yucky.

I thought at the time perhaps i should have reapplied that but tbh i had to take my previous one apart first etc etc and i had been going at it for like 2 hours already and i just cba.

The cpu is not ridiculously hot, it idles at like 33 with speedstep enabled, in a 22 degree environment.

however on load for 2 hours it got up to 68 overclocked to 4.5ghz (dunno the voltage, i left everything on auto) and i oc'ed it to 4.8 (using 1.35v) and it went to 70 degrees within 3 minutes.

with this cooler, frankly, id expect the computer to not boot when overclocking before it gets too hot. Do you agree?

so basically, i am thinking i will reseat the cooler and reapply the paste, but am i right to do this? or is it just because im in a toasty environment
a c 788 à CPUs
June 20, 2011 4:49:49 PM

Your idle temp looks fine but load temps are high except if you are running prime95. Couple of hours on the paste (not dried out) should be alright for rearranging.
June 20, 2011 9:30:49 PM

rolli59 said:
Your idle temp looks fine but load temps are high except if you are running prime95. Couple of hours on the paste (not dried out) should be alright for rearranging.

yes it was prime 95. just figured out the volts at 4.5ghz, is only 1.28 with speedstep enabled, so it does it itself, and temps are like 65 after half an hour. Does this sound normal?

i literally took the cooler off and put it back like 5mins later, but the paste was all bumpy and i thought this meant it might have air bubbles in meaning worse cooling
Related resources
a c 788 à CPUs
June 20, 2011 11:32:25 PM

That would be normal for prime95 which is a load case you will never see in normal use. the bumpiness of the paste comes from pulling the cooler off, it should smooth itself again on reattachment.
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2011 3:52:33 AM

...if you applied reasonable screwing-down pressure. Assuming you did.
!