Kodak CX7430 bg whistle noise?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 11, 2005 5:04:54 PM

Hi,

I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
normal sound but anyway disturbing.

Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov

If normal, what software should I use to remove the noise without losing
the video?

Thanks,
-Janne
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 7:01:36 PM

Janne Pyykkö wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
> background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
> normal sound but anyway disturbing.
>
> Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
> http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
>
> If normal, what software should I use to remove the noise without losing
> the video?
>
> Thanks,
> -Janne

Well, you might be able to do something with the audio with a video
editor that will handle .mov format. But, I didn't hear the whistle.
Could be the old ears, or the speakers I have.. Have you tried it on
another computer?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Maybe this noise is from the shutter opening at regular intervals.I got the
CX 7300, and not the CX 7330, because the 7330 is 3.1 MP in contrast to the
3.2 of 7300, and I don't need talking movies, I have my camcorder for that.I
paid for mine 144 euro, complete with 128 MB lexar card charger and 4 nicd
batteries.I strongly suggest for good videos get a decent camcorder, the
hi-8 ones sell for less than 400 euro, and for a penny more, you can get
digital 8 or dv.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> Hi,
>
> I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
> background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
> normal sound but anyway disturbing.
>
> Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
> http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
>
> If normal, what software should I use to remove the noise without losing
> the video?
>
> Thanks,
> -Janne
February 11, 2005 9:53:12 PM

Greeting Janne,

I am home with the flu right now, but do have an anwer for your sitaution.
Cannot recall if it was to turn off Auto focus or change the mode you are
in? I will check this and get back to you next week. Sorry I cannot recall
directly.

Ron Baird

Eastman Kodak Company

"Janne Pyykkö" <janne.pyykko@proha.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
> background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
> normal sound but anyway disturbing.
>
> Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
> http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
>
> If normal, what software should I use to remove the noise without losing
> the video?
>
> Thanks,
> -Janne
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:53:13 PM

Newron wrote:
> Greeting Janne,
>

> I am home with the flu right now, but do have an anwer for your sitaution.
> Cannot recall if it was to turn off Auto focus or change the mode you are
> in? I will check this and get back to you next week. Sorry I cannot recall
> directly.
>

> Ron Baird
>
> Eastman Kodak Company

Next year, get the flu shot! Recommended for us old guys, but I don't
get the flu, so I didn't get the shot...

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 2:11:05 AM

In article <janne.pyykko-21C93B.16045411022005@hiisi.inet.fi>,
Janne Pyykkö <janne.pyykko@proha.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
> background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
> normal sound but anyway disturbing.
>
> Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
> http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
>
> If normal, what software should I use to remove the noise without losing
> the video?
>
> Thanks,
> -Janne

It sounds like a beat between the digital audio sampling and the
switching power supply. Does it change pitch when the batteries are
low? Whatever it is, I'd exchange it.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:26:41 AM

Hi Ron,

There's no auto/manual focus selection in CX7430, but if there's another
trick, please let me know.

-Janne

"Newron" <rbaird1nospam@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Greeting Janne,
>

> I am home with the flu right now, but do have an anwer for your sitaution.
> Cannot recall if it was to turn off Auto focus or change the mode you are
> in? I will check this and get back to you next week. Sorry I cannot recall
> directly.
>

> Ron Baird
>
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> "Janne Pyykkö" <janne.pyykko@proha.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
> > background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
> > normal sound but anyway disturbing.
> >
> > Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
> > http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
> >
> > If normal, what software should I use to remove the noise without losing
> > the video?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Janne

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:31:49 AM

> Janne Pyykkö wrote:
> > I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
> > background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
> > normal sound but anyway disturbing.
> >
> > Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
> > http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
>
> Well, you might be able to do something with the audio with a video
> editor that will handle .mov format. But, I didn't hear the whistle.
> Could be the old ears, or the speakers I have.. Have you tried it on
> another computer?

I can hear it directly from my Kodak when playing the movie.

Now it would be helpful if you (anybody) could put another CX7430 sample
video into web, so I can compare noise levels.

-Janne
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:31:50 AM

Janne Pyykkö wrote:
> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>

>>Janne Pyykkö wrote:
>>
>>>I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
>>>background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
>>>normal sound but anyway disturbing.
>>>
>>>Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
>>>http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
>>
>>Well, you might be able to do something with the audio with a video
>>editor that will handle .mov format. But, I didn't hear the whistle.
>>Could be the old ears, or the speakers I have.. Have you tried it on
>>another computer?
>

> I can hear it directly from my Kodak when playing the movie.
>
> Now it would be helpful if you (anybody) could put another CX7430 sample
> video into web, so I can compare noise levels.
>
> -Janne

You might try this review. There is a sample .mov movie clip you can
play. I can't hear the sound you mention in the sample you sent, so
listening to the clip myself isn't helpful. Give it a try, even though
it might take you a while to download the clip if you are on a dialup
connection.

--

Janne Pyykkö wrote:
> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>

>>Janne Pyykkö wrote:
>>
>>>I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
>>>background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
>>>normal sound but anyway disturbing.
>>>
>>>Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
>>>http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
>>
>>Well, you might be able to do something with the audio with a video
>>editor that will handle .mov format. But, I didn't hear the whistle.
>>Could be the old ears, or the speakers I have.. Have you tried it on
>>another computer?
>

> I can hear it directly from my Kodak when playing the movie.
>
> Now it would be helpful if you (anybody) could put another CX7430 sample
> video into web, so I can compare noise levels.
>
> -Janne
Oops, forgot to add the URL:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7430/samp...

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:49:01 AM

> > Now it would be helpful if you (anybody) could put another CX7430 sample
> > video into web, so I can compare noise levels.
> >
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7430/samp...

Thanks for the sample. There is a difference: Steve's sample has no
whistle. Unfortunately it has a continuous motor noise, so it's not a
perfect sample for my comparison.

Any video with silent background?

-Janne
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:18:53 AM

> > > Now it would be helpful if you (anybody) could put another CX7430
sample
> > > video into web, so I can compare noise levels.
> > >
> > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7430/samp...
>
> Thanks for the sample. There is a difference: Steve's sample has no
> whistle. Unfortunately it has a continuous motor noise, so it's not a
> perfect sample for my comparison.
>
> Any video with silent background?
>
> -Janne

Hi. I have the CX7430, and the noise you hear is from the camera's LCD
display. If you shoot your video using the viewfinder, and turn the LCD off
(by clicking the OK button--that toggles it off/on), you won't hear the
whistle. Kind of a hassle, but just knowing about it helps me work around
it...if I'm even bothered by the whistle. Try it for yourself.

February 16, 2005 3:01:18 PM

Hi Jane,

Me again!

I have reviewed the camera and the file you shared. I do hear the noise you
refer to, but wonder if it might not be related to the office environ you
are in? Please try the camera outside in a more quite setting, i.e. a park
etc. if that is an option. Wait till you are in a quiet area, then take a
movie and listen.

There are no settings I can think of in the camera that will reduce any
noise. If it continues to be bothersome, try another camera. Let me know
how you make out.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Janne Pyykkö" <janne.pyykko@proha.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just bought Kodak CX7430. Is it normal that there is a continuous
> background "whistle" noise in movies? The noise level is less than any
> normal sound but anyway disturbing.
>
> Here's a 4-second sample (500 K):
> http://www.brossco.fi/janne/image/disturbingwhistle.mov
>
> If normal, what software should I use to remove the noise without losing
> the video?
>
> Thanks,
> -Janne
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:19:58 PM

"Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> wrote:

> "Janne Pyykkö" <janne.pyykko@proha.com> wrote in message

> Hi. I have the CX7430, and the noise you hear is from the camera's LCD
> display. If you shoot your video using the viewfinder, and turn the LCD off
> (by clicking the OK button--that toggles it off/on), you won't hear the
> whistle. Kind of a hassle, but just knowing about it helps me work around
> it...if I'm even bothered by the whistle. Try it for yourself.

Thanks a lot!

This was the reson for the whistle noise. Though it's not nice to shoot
video without watching it on LCD, I can live with that.

-Janne
!