printer switch -> monitor switch??

zid

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
i currently have 3 computers at home and only 2 screens, i plan to use one of the comps(a P2 375mhz) as a router for sharing the connection and possible a fileserver later on.

anyways i got only 2 screens at home, one in my room and one in my sisters room, in my room i got my main comp(AXP1800+) and the P2, i have kb and mouse for each but to use the other one i need to stretch behind my desk and move the cable for the screen.

my mom knows i want a switch so she thought she had lucked out when she brought home a "manual data switch"(a thingie for switching a printer between 2 computers), i dont need it as i can do the same thing over LAN but i got an idea when i opened the "case" of it up.

there are flat cables going from a smallish PCB to the connectors so i think to myself:
Would it be possible to solder CRT connectors on and use it as a screen switch?

i dont know if it would be possible but as there are enough leads to connect all the leads from the screen connector im hoping that it will work.

anyone know if it would work?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zid on 01/31/03 06:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Only one way to find out!
i love messing around with stuff like that.
did she buy the thing or find it somewhere or did someone give it to her or what?
if she didnt buy it then i dont think shed be too upset if you broke it in the process, i mean as it is, you dont need it. pfft printer switching.
course you could always just buy a splitter, i dont know how much they cost though.

I dyed my body green, branded an "n" on my chest, and stood on a box in the middle of Time Square for 3 days shouting, "ATI is the Anti-Christ!" to boost sales after nVidia had a losing quarter.

zid

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
they are replacing all the computers at the hospital where she works so they were going to throw it away.

my first step is to get a soldering iron, i still dont have one :/
its good tho, im sure ill need one in the future.

anyone got any tips at what type of soldering iron i should get?