I7 920 motherboard upgrade help!!!

hey guys....

i have a gateway fx 6800-01e

my set up is:

i7 920 2.66
12 gb DDR 3 ram
750 gb hardrive
stock motherboard..
ati 4890 hd ddr 5 1gb


I got a 300.00 giftcard to bestbuy and a 200.00 giftcard to amazon..... I kinda wanted to use these giftcards for my pc.... any suggestions?....

i was thinking of keeping the same processor and looking for a good motherboard (300.00 bestbuy) to over clock my chip and using my amazon giftcard for a ssd (200.00).... and maybe power supply and cooling....

you guys have any suggestions on boards?.... or what route i should take with these giftcards!?!?!


thanks so much guys!!!!

ps... i use this system only for gaming.... ( fps, gta iv, company of heroes... ect....)
11 answers Last reply
More about motherboard upgrade help
  1. Don't spend so much on one motherboard for an old cpu (yes, the 920 is getting old; I once acquired one used for $100 to help someone pay his rent). If you are still using gateway's windows install, you'll have to acquire a new windows coa to change to a non gateway board, so I wouldn't do it. So, I suggest you sell off your gateway for around $600 and start over or get an ssd for your upgrade. I clone mine from the main drive so I have a backup in case the ssd fails. Here's one: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT128M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JKZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1329916747&sr=1-1.
  2. so even going the new motherboard route and overclocking the 920 isnt a good idea?... i figured running it oc till it fails... then get a faster processor to add to the new 1366 board with can be a i7 extreme.. (by that time prices should drop....) or a i7 3.6 or something......


    im no longer using windows install from gateway.... it came with vista and formatted to win 7......

    and id rather run ssd on sata 3 to maximize speeds.........
  3. I have to ask why you think you need a new motherboard for th i7 920 - yes it is an older design, but it is also a very capable chip and overclockes well.

    Down load cpu-z to find out the manufacturer of the motherboard (Gateway dont make their own) and post the make / model number here.

    A lot of OEM PC builders often use brand name parts like MSI / Gigabyte / Foxconn etc...

    If you are a gamer then the CPU itself doesnt need upgrading, but a video card and SSD would improve your performance no end. As for the Windows COA to re-install Windows on a new drive, this is not such a big problem as everyone makes out as long as you have the recovery CD
  4. The motherboard is foxconn. Foxconn is of no help checking specs for the board. Had the same model gateway. Board died. Replaced with:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665

    A good overclock and a new videocard and she will scream again...

    You might look at powersupply. Mine still works but damn if im not worried about it.
  5. thanks for all the great replys.....

    which video card did you end up going with? mr motion....


    the factory board i think is a intel.... no options to do anything with the chip... i dont even think it lets you enable turbo boost!!! hahaha
  6. I am in same boat as you are OP. I have the same computer and I am upgrading few componenets. My psu died recently so that got started to upgrade. I got Corsair AX850. Now I am thinking to get HD 7970 and new motherboard so I can OC 920..

    I just want to know If will I have any trouble ocing my i7 920? Does it have to be unloacked or something? Because this proccessor came with my system. This is my first time so I dont want to screw up.
    Fbram i dont mean to hijack your thread, i thought since we have same system, things might be useful for you as well.

    So Here's what I getting.
    Replacing Mobo with GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423
    Getting more Ram CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) CMX6GX3M3C1600C7.
    I also want to point out that i am not buying this brand new. i am getting it from Craigslist. Hopefully works out fine
  7. rajnikant91 said:
    I am in same boat as you are OP. I have the same computer and I am upgrading few componenets. My psu died recently so that got started to upgrade. I got Corsair AX850. Now I am thinking to get HD 7970 and new motherboard so I can OC 920..

    I just want to know If will I have any trouble ocing my i7 920? Does it have to be unloacked or something? Because this proccessor came with my system. This is my first time so I dont want to screw up.
    Fbram i dont mean to hijack your thread, i thought since we have same system, things might be useful for you as well.

    So Here's what I getting.
    Replacing Mobo with GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423
    Getting more Ram CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) CMX6GX3M3C1600C7.
    I also want to point out that i am not buying this brand new. i am getting it from Craigslist. Hopefully works out fine



    why did u decide to go with this board?.... looks like a good board?.... any feed back on this board?.... sata 3, usb 3 .... any idea on the overclocking features
  8. fbram said:
    why did u decide to go with this board?.... looks like a good board?.... any feed back on this board?.... sata 3, usb 3 .... any idea on the overclocking features

    Only I reason i went with that because i found that board on craigslist at cheap price. I did some research looks good. no major problems with and also seller has warranty. So that's why
  9. o1die said:
    Don't spend so much on one motherboard for an old cpu (yes, the 920 is getting old; I once acquired one used for $100 to help someone pay his rent).

    Ah ha...

    I'm pretty sure the GW FX6800-01e ships with a mATX MOBO, and IF possible get a standard ATX MOBO; sizes: mATX = 9.6 in (244 mm) X 9.6 in (244 mm), and standard ATX = 12 in (305 mm) X 9.6 in (244 mm) the 12" is height.

    mATX: ASUS Rampage III Gene - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131658
    mATX: MSI X58M - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130227

    ATX: ASUS P6X58-E PRO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131755

    No, don't get the UD3R -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-raid-bsod-disk-boot-failure
  10. jaquith said:
    Ah ha...

    I'm pretty sure the GW FX6800-01e ships with a mATX MOBO, and IF possible get a standard ATX MOBO; sizes: mATX = 9.6 in (244 mm) X 9.6 in (244 mm), and standard ATX = 12 in (305 mm) X 9.6 in (244 mm) the 12" is height.

    mATX: ASUS Rampage III Gene - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131658
    mATX: MSI X58M - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130227

    ATX: ASUS P6X58-E PRO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131755

    No, don't get the UD3R -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-raid-bsod-disk-boot-failure



    do u think going standard is the way to go.... also do u think that will fit in my existing board?
  11. You need to measure, but 9/10 your case lacks the PCI (expansion) slots; for ATX the typical number is 7.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Intel i7 Product