Is my PSU Dying, PC takes several attempts to boot

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
So I just built a pc on Friday (well upgraded an old one)

Parts are

CPU - Intel I7 2600k

Motherboard - Asrock P67 Extreme 4

GPU - ATI HD RADEON 5870

Memory - 4 gb DDR3 Gskill @ 2133 mzh

Power Supply - OCZ Gamexstream 700

Case - Coolermaster CM690

I reused several components, fans, case and power supply.

Since I built the computer it takes a few attempts to boot up after it's been off for a while (doesn't happen after a quick off/on, or on restarts)

What will happen is I'll hit the power, fans will turn on and it seems like its ready to go and will shut off. Sometimes it will then reboot, stop, and then it will fully come on. There is a monitoring led on the motherboard that will go to 60 when I boot and if it fails it will go like 30 then off. When it works it will go 60 - 90 back down to 60ish and then will turn into letters.

Is my system not getting the appropriate power? I have an OCZ Gamexstream 700, and once the system is up and going it works flawlessly.

Patience, Grasshopper. :)

This forum or the power supply forum will do. Hard as it is to believe sometimes, we all have lives away from THG.

PSU is one - the most likely, in fact - possibility. But it is not the only one. Could be motherboard or intermittent case wiring.

You can eliminate the case power switch by swapping it with the reset switch and trying to boot with the reset switch.

Try to borrow a similar sized PSU for testing.

SteveGP

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I reused several components, fans, case and power supply.

Since I built the computer it takes a few attempts to boot up after it's been off for a while (doesn't happen after a quick off/on, or on restarts)

What will happen is I'll hit the power, fans will turn on and it seems like its ready to go and will shut off. Sometimes it will then reboot, stop, and then it will fully come on. There is a monitoring led on the motherboard that will go to 60 when I boot and if it fails it will go like 30 then off. When it works it will go 60 - 90 back down to 60ish and then will turn into letters.

Is my system not getting the appropriate power? I have an OCZ Gamexstream 700, and once the system is up and going it works flawlessly.[/quotemsg]

It's probably your power supply. I built a new computer last week and experienced the same problem. The fans would run but I wouldn't get a BIOS screen then it powers down and restarts. I bought a new PSU and the computer booted up fine. BTW, I had an OCZ PSU too and this was the first PSU that ever died on me. The weird thing is that I didn't even use the computer that often. My previous build was running for 2 or 3 days straight and it never died on me. I decided to get a new OCZ PSU when I built my new rig and it lasted about 3 years with little use. I went with a Corsair in my current build. Good luck to you.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Thanks for the answer Stevegp, a question for you though, when you were booting would it eventually boot or just no booting at all? I'm going to try one thing first prior to taking my pc in to be looked at.

I talked to the IT guy at my work today who said has had the same thing happen to him before.

He inquired if I had unnecessary standards (the things on the case you put the motherboard on) and I said yes, just took out the old motherboard and plopped the new one on top.

He told me likely the cause of my problem is an unused standard is rubbing against the motherboard and causing a short.

So tonight I'm going to take everything apart and take off all the unnecessary standards to see if that works.

SteveGP

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
It wouldn't boot. The fans were spinning and I could hear the DVD drive running but I never even saw the boot screen. After a few seconds the computer powers down and then restarted by itself. I thought it was my mobo and I exchanged it for a new one but still got the same problem. After replacing the PSU, everything worked great.

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I think you don't have your memory in the correct slot! My computer had that same problem and I have the same mobo as you do! Once I put the memory in the correct slot it never did that again.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I'd like to thank everyone who posted for offering up ideas to solve my problem.

Just to sum things up the standoffs wasn't the problem, I checked behind the board I did have one out of place but after removing that the boot issue was still an issue.

At this point I believe the problem is solved as I've had three successful boots in a row on issues. In order to solve my problem I just reset the CMOS.

Make sense? ... I really am quite a noob when it comes to this stuff, kind of a do it and learn type so I'm not really familiar with the CMOS. Someone on another forum suggested it and bam seems to have worked.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I spoke too soon, turned it on this morning same problem occured.

I think at this point I'm going to take the computer to the place where I bought all the parts (they have a service dept). And just tell them to look at it and if they determine the motherboard or something is faulty they can just replace it for me.

grandmazza

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Hey there!

did you ever figure out what caused this? My new build have simmilar issues and I have been thinking that it could be the PSU. But if you discover something else, perhaps I can save the dough. So... did you figure this out?

Thanks;)