Does EM64T mean you should run a 64-bit OS?

zeu5

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hello,
I recently was looking at my processor's specs and found that Intel's site marks "64-bit" under "Advanced Technologies" as a yes. It's a Pentium Dual-Core E5200, and in the technical details it supports "EM64T". Does this mean I should reinstall Windows as 64-bit?

Solution
A 32-bit or 64-bit OS is not really going to affect the performance of your video card unless one or the other has poorly written drivers.

It will affect the amount of RAM available to you though. Win 7 32-bit will limit you to around 3.25GB while Win 7 64-bit can go beyond 16GB.
Nope, not at all. That only means that you can install a 64bit OS with your current processor but it's not a "must".

Now, if you have 4GB or more RAM, it's very advisable that you do, because 32bit OS'es don't see more than 3.5-ish GB of RAM usually (that's in simple terms and addressable RAM).

Cheers!

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
It means that your processor supports 64-bit extensions and that it CAN run a 64-bit OS. As to whether or not you should install Windows as 64-bit all depends on whether or not you have a 64-bit version of Windows to install, have more than 3.5 GBytes of memory (the limit for 32-bit Windows), and have all the 64-bit drivers you need for the peripherals you have attached to your computer. Some older legacy devices are not supported since 64-bit drivers have not been written for them.

it means CAPABLE

on the other hand here and now, you seriously should be running Windows 7 64-bit

if your running xp, you should be ashamed, that things a dinosaur

Yuka - 32bit OS's can address a TOTAL of 4gb of memory - that 3.5 max you see is because of video cards, legacy hardware and pci devices that need there resources addressed (all within a 4gb/32-bit limit) leaving your actual usable ram at an average of 3-3.5gb

zeu5

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
So if I do have 64-bit Windows 7 (I bought it on Microsoft's online store, so I can download it as either), would you guys recommend me upgrading to it? Because I'm planning on getting a much more powerful graphics card and 8GB of RAM as well.

zeu5

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Also I'm confused:
Is this a 64-bit processor with the ability to run 32-bit OSes and applications or a 32-bit processor that through some sort of emulation is able to run 64-bit OSes and applications?