Sign in with
Your question

7.1 headphones

Last response: in Components
June 20, 2011 11:00:08 PM

Yo,

I am researching some headphones for my work, does anyone know about the Logitech G930 headphones? Supposedly they are 7.1, but I have read from multiple other places that there are no 7.1 headphones that have discrete channels, they are either upmixed or use 5.1. Any help would be great. Any other rec's would be great too. I am looking for 5.1 or 7.1 headphones that use DD 5.1 or PCM 5.1 or 7.1

More about : headphones

June 21, 2011 1:45:22 PM

There are no true 7.1 headphones; all 7.1 headphones are virtualized.

The only "true" 5.1 headphones either use Dolby/DTS + Optical, or use multichannel analog to connect to a soundcard.

If your in the market for a true 5.1 headset, I liked my Tritton AX Pro [before they broke...].

Also, if you use optical, make sure you have the ability to encode to DD/DTS formats, otherwise your stuck at 2.1.
m
l
June 21, 2011 2:05:30 PM

To be honest, I'm bemused by the very idea of 5.1 or 7.1 headphones.

Ordinary headphones are 2.0 - right?

Lemme see. I need to add a centre channel - I guess that presses against my head, between my eyes, or on my forehead? I need to add the surround left/right channels, I guess they sit behind my ears? Or do I move the front left/right forward to make room?

Then there are the rear left/right to make up for the 7.1 over 5.1. I guess they go on the back of my skull?

I'm scared to ask where I'm supposed to put the subwoofer... :D 

I saw some headphones a while back that had two speakers in each cup, one at the front and one at the back, which would have given a sort-of quadrophonic effect, but I was always quite dubious about how effective they'd be.

I just don't see how you can call any set of headphones 5.1 or 7.1. I can readily believe you might have a special headphone amplifier accepting a 5.1 or 7.1 signal and mixing it down to stereo to pipe to the headphones - is that what they are doing? Maybe even incorporating a movement sensor so they can change the mix as you move your head?
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2011 6:03:38 PM

gamerk316, we already have the Tritton AX Pro, and they are great, but our vendor stopped selling them so we have to find something else. Thanks for the info, it confirms our idea that we should only get optical cable based, DD decoding headphones that max at 5.1.

Compulsive, you need to try a pair of good 5.1 headphones before you judge. I was the same way, until I tried the Trittons.
m
l
June 21, 2011 6:14:12 PM

I think the most actual drivers in a headset is 3 per ear. But ultimately a good set of stereo headphones will give awesome sound positioning anyway. I'm using Sennheiser PC 350s and they are phenomenal for positional. The ONLY indistinguishable sound is perfectly centered front and back, but otherwise it really gives a full 360deg surround sound, even above and below.
m
l
June 21, 2011 8:41:05 PM

Personally, I prefer a good set of 2.0 headphones [like my beloved 350's] paired with Dolby Headphone to virtualize a 7.1 signal, but to each his own.

Oddly enough, while the Trittons were good, the BEST side channel processing on a 5.1 headset I've ever owned was a Sony MDR-3000, and I've heard good things from other people about Sonys Wireless headsets...
m
l
June 21, 2011 9:24:25 PM

The sony's are good. We have been using them for a while, but we are trying to do compatibility testing with other products.

If you were buying three different models, not considering price, which would you get? I need DD/DTS 5.1 optical or HDMI for the input. This is for console gaming.
m
l
!