Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Chipset running hot. (160 degrees F/71 degrees C)

Last response: in Components
June 20, 2011 11:31:00 PM

One of the components of my motherboard (a Nvidia NF-430-N-A3 chipset) is running at a peak temperature of 160F/71C.
I'm thinking this is a bit unsafe; how would I go about cooling it down? (It's summer where I live, highs of 95F/35C).

If it helps, I have a Dell Dimension E521 (only RAM and PCI cards were changed), the rest of my computer averages out at 100F-120F/38C-49C, and I am measuring it with a surface infrared thermometer.

Thanks.

Best solution

June 21, 2011 3:50:09 AM

That temperature should be OK. However, it's being caused by some other part; there's no motherboard component that can get that hot by itself. Get some temperature monitoring software like Speedfan or Hardware Monitor and see how hot the main components are.
June 28, 2011 1:01:17 AM

Using SpeedFan, I only saw the GPU and Core temperatures, which were 49C and 46C respectively at idle. I tested some temperatures while playing Team Fortress 2, and average temperatures were at 60C and 55C respectively.

I couldn't see any other temperatures with Open Hardware Monitor (I did see my second core, but the difference between the cores was negligible, with a maximum of 3 degrees difference.)
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2011 1:16:55 AM

Its probably time to reapply thermal paste on the chip; if it even has any (often they just have the heatsink sitting on them bare)
m
l
July 5, 2011 12:26:24 AM

popatim said:
Its probably time to reapply thermal paste on the chip; if it even has any (often they just have the heatsink sitting on them bare)

It doesn't have any cooling apparatus on it at all... :pfff: 

Only after going through Micro Center to plan out a new computer (The Dell recently kicked the bucket due to an unrelated incident) did I realize that most pre-built computers don't have chipset fans/heatsinks...
m
l
February 28, 2013 12:49:14 AM

Best answer selected by xomm.
m
l
!