My GTX 470

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi,

I have Asus GTX 470, this morning when I start to play Metro 2033 the fan start to make a loud noise I've realised thats because the temperature, I got afraid so I've shut down Metro 2033, then the card cooled down ...

Is that normal if I continued playing (I mean the temperature thing, the sound doesn't bother me at all)?

Thanks !

Helltech

Distinguished

Sounds normal, but that depends on the temperature. You said you know its from the temperature, so what temperatures were you getting? Those cards are made to run pretty hot.

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Sorry, I didn't monitor it ...

I would use Everest to do that, but, I've read somewhere that it will change the spinning to Manually, and I don't want it to take control of my fan, I want to let it Auto (depending on the temperature of the GPU) ...

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
So, I've did a quick test with OCCT, only for 6 minutes, IDK is that enough ... here is the result:

1295208981272.png

Helltech

Distinguished

MSI Afterburner CAN control the fan if you want it to, but no it doesn't. In fact I use MSI Afterburner to set my own fan profiles but that is just me.

I don't know anything about OCCT, but those temperatures look alright to me. As I said, under load as long as you are about 80-85c you are fine.

Here is a thread for reference...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298157-33-temps

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

that's actually a good sign that your card's automatic fan control is working. hell, compared that to my old gtx260-216 that stayed @ 40% fan usage regardless of temp/workload, yours is golden.

Helltech

Distinguished

+1

This was the point I was trying to make with my first post, guess I should have explained.

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Yes its working just fine, which is I want to leave it set to AUTO ...Depending on the task I do, I hear the speed of spinning change ...On Idle, I don't hear almost nothing, on heavy game, loud noise of the fan, like my PC is going fly or something !

But like I said, that doesn't bother me, whats bother me is the temperature, I guess I'm fine !

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well, I can't monitor the temperature while playing Metro 2033, pressing "Windows" button, doesn't minimize it, nor ALT+TAB ...

And the CRTL+ALT+DEL doesn't let me join me the game !

Is there a software shows me temperature while playing like FPS with FRAPS ?

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
So, I have a quick question: Knowing that I don't overclock (nor I want to) my card, which is better, set the fan to Auto, or Man ??

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Oh thanks ..

Is there a software that displays the GPU temperature in the upper corner while playing, like Fraps do showing FPS !?

With a benchmark program (Furmark for example) the reference design can easily hit 94-95c. :)

But yes, use the MSI Afterburner program and set up some custom fan settings. You can adjust them on the fly so either keep the card cooler, or quieter. I've balanced mine to keep it somewhat quiet at idle, but to allow it to ramp up the fan a little faster than it normally does to keep things a tad cooler.

The GTX 470's are just dang hot. ;)

The issue is not your temperatures, but the fan speed your card requires to maintain that temperature. Under normal conditions your GTX470 will run the fan around 70% to maintain its top temperature in the mid to upper 80c's. If something is wrong, your temperature may stay the same, but the fan may be forced to run at a higher speed, maybe 80% or above to maintain the same temperature. At that fan speed, the fan noise does become uncomfortable.

What you should do with Afterburner is check your fan speed to see if it is getting over 75% while gaming. If not, then everything is fine. If it does, I would recommend changing the thermal paste and cleaning out the dust from the heatsink fins. Leave your fan on the Auto setting.

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well, I played Metro 2033, on very high, the temperature kept changing between 90-91 and sometimes 92, the fan hit its max 88% ...

Is that normal ? Note that it is Metro 2033, on 1920x1080 resolution, all settings very high, take that in consideration ..

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I've just played Black Ops, well unlike Metro 2033, the fan never gets over 69%(1080p, 4xAA), the temperature is 90-91 though ...

So, is it normal ?

misfit14

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009

Well, "normal" is a relative term, based on your ambient room temperature and cooling in your case. If your room is warm and you have poor case cooling, then this may be normal for your GPU. But is it safe? That is the real question here. It sounds like the GPU fan on AUTO is doing it's job to keep it below 100C, but it is quite hot.

The GTX 470s do run very hot but NVIDIA stated they were designed to handle high temps well. I would say, be sure your room is as cool as you can get it without freezing yourself, make sure your case is clean (remove all dust, clean all dust filters on your fans if any are present) and make sure your case is rated well for air cooling. I have a CoolerMaster HAF932 and it works very well. Ugly, yes, but lots of airflow. The HAF X is nicer. Perhaps place a small fan pointed toward your air intake fan on your case to get more cool air in. Keep in mind that you need to make sure that the hot air can get out of the case fast enough, so be sure your exhaust fans are pushing out hot air.

Another option...If you have the cash, wait for the GTX 560 to release this month and sell the GTX 470. It will run much cooler and most likely be just as fast (if not slightly faster) as your 470.

Hope this helps.

zoro_2009

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Yeah, I have nearly the same case, but not CoolerMaster, with one big fan on the side, so is this good ? I thought it was a bad idea, as its pushing back the heat coming from card, and not letting it out, so I should replace it back, lol !

Based on personal experience with a Reference GTX 470 & Metro 2033 @ 1920x1080 I can tell you this is normal.

I don't like to contradict jerreece, but 88% on the fan is NOT normal, even while playing Metro 2033. As I stated before, your fan should not go above 75% if everything is running fine. Your 69% on Black Ops is more in line with what should be expected. It's hard to believe anything is seriously wrong if Black Ops runs fine with a lower fan speed, but Metro 2033 does not.

I'm speaking in terms of my experience with a GTX480, when my card suddenly started running consistently at a fan speed of over 80%, I RMA'ed it. Before that, for months, it never went above 74% on anything. Clean things out and make sure you have good airflow. If you could change your thermal paste, that would be my number one recommendation.