Sign in with
Your question

My GTX 470

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2011 5:43:14 PM

Hi,

I have Asus GTX 470, this morning when I start to play Metro 2033 the fan start to make a loud noise I've realised thats because the temperature, I got afraid so I've shut down Metro 2033, then the card cooled down ...

Is that normal if I continued playing (I mean the temperature thing, the sound doesn't bother me at all)?

Thanks !

More about : gtx 470

a c 153 U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 5:47:31 PM

zoro_2009 said:
Hi,

I have Asus GTX 470, this morning when I start to play Metro 2033 the fan start to make a loud noise I've realised thats because the temperature, I got afraid so I've shut down Metro 2033, then the card cooled down ...

Is that normal if I continued playing (I mean the temperature thing, the sound doesn't bother me at all)?

Thanks !

Sounds normal, but that depends on the temperature. You said you know its from the temperature, so what temperatures were you getting? Those cards are made to run pretty hot.
a c 231 U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 5:59:02 PM

Hard to answer w/o knowing what the temperature was. Download OCCT and test ya system. The tests run 60 minutes and graph the results at the end.
Related resources
January 16, 2011 6:00:08 PM

Sorry, I didn't monitor it ...

I would use Everest to do that, but, I've read somewhere that it will change the spinning to Manually, and I don't want it to take control of my fan, I want to let it Auto (depending on the temperature of the GPU) ...
a c 153 U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 6:04:47 PM

Just check your temps with MSI Afterburner while gaming.

For reference under load normal temps are about 80-85c.
January 16, 2011 6:12:32 PM

Thanks for the reply,

So just to be sure, this MSI Afterburner doesnt' control the FAN ?
January 16, 2011 6:17:53 PM

So, I've did a quick test with OCCT, only for 6 minutes, IDK is that enough ... here is the result:

a c 153 U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 6:26:42 PM

zoro_2009 said:
Thanks for the reply,

So just to be sure, this MSI Afterburner doesnt' control the FAN ?

MSI Afterburner CAN control the fan if you want it to, but no it doesn't. In fact I use MSI Afterburner to set my own fan profiles but that is just me.

I don't know anything about OCCT, but those temperatures look alright to me. As I said, under load as long as you are about 80-85c you are fine.

Here is a thread for reference...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298157-33-temps
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 6:37:27 PM

I have Asus GTX 470, this morning when I start to play Metro 2033 the fan start to make a loud noise I've realised thats because the temperature, I got afraid so I've shut down Metro 2033, then the card cooled down ... said:

that's actually a good sign that your card's automatic fan control is working. hell, compared that to my old gtx260-216 that stayed @ 40% fan usage regardless of temp/workload, yours is golden.
a c 153 U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 6:39:06 PM

wh3resmycar said:
that's actually a good sign that your card's automatic fan control is working. hell, compared that to my old gtx260-216 that stayed @ 40% fan usage regardless of temp/workload, yours is golden.

+1

This was the point I was trying to make with my first post, guess I should have explained.
January 16, 2011 6:44:45 PM

Yes its working just fine, which is I want to leave it set to AUTO ...Depending on the task I do, I hear the speed of spinning change ...On Idle, I don't hear almost nothing, on heavy game, loud noise of the fan, like my PC is going fly or something !

But like I said, that doesn't bother me, whats bother me is the temperature, I guess I'm fine !
January 16, 2011 7:16:24 PM

Well, I can't monitor the temperature while playing Metro 2033, pressing "Windows" button, doesn't minimize it, nor ALT+TAB ...

And the CRTL+ALT+DEL doesn't let me join me the game !

Is there a software shows me temperature while playing like FPS with FRAPS ?
January 17, 2011 6:34:16 PM

So, I have a quick question: Knowing that I don't overclock (nor I want to) my card, which is better, set the fan to Auto, or Man ??
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 1:33:03 PM

auto is better since you yourself can notice the noise, but it will also depend if you can bare with it.
January 18, 2011 3:03:42 PM

Oh thanks ..

Is there a software that displays the GPU temperature in the upper corner while playing, like Fraps do showing FPS !?
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 4:07:10 PM

Helltech said:
Just check your temps with MSI Afterburner while gaming.

For reference under load normal temps are about 80-85c.

With a benchmark program (Furmark for example) the reference design can easily hit 94-95c. :) 

But yes, use the MSI Afterburner program and set up some custom fan settings. You can adjust them on the fly so either keep the card cooler, or quieter. I've balanced mine to keep it somewhat quiet at idle, but to allow it to ramp up the fan a little faster than it normally does to keep things a tad cooler.

The GTX 470's are just dang hot. ;) 
a c 624 U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 4:17:47 PM

The issue is not your temperatures, but the fan speed your card requires to maintain that temperature. Under normal conditions your GTX470 will run the fan around 70% to maintain its top temperature in the mid to upper 80c's. If something is wrong, your temperature may stay the same, but the fan may be forced to run at a higher speed, maybe 80% or above to maintain the same temperature. At that fan speed, the fan noise does become uncomfortable.

What you should do with Afterburner is check your fan speed to see if it is getting over 75% while gaming. If not, then everything is fine. If it does, I would recommend changing the thermal paste and cleaning out the dust from the heatsink fins. Leave your fan on the Auto setting.
January 18, 2011 4:48:10 PM

Thanks for the replies !

I will play Metro 2033 and monitor the fan and temperature while gaming and come back !
January 18, 2011 5:01:46 PM

Well, I played Metro 2033, on very high, the temperature kept changing between 90-91 and sometimes 92, the fan hit its max 88% ...

Is that normal ? Note that it is Metro 2033, on 1920x1080 resolution, all settings very high, take that in consideration ..
January 18, 2011 5:24:50 PM

I've just played Black Ops, well unlike Metro 2033, the fan never gets over 69%(1080p, 4xAA), the temperature is 90-91 though ...

So, is it normal ?
January 18, 2011 5:33:24 PM

zoro_2009 said:
Well, I played Metro 2033, on very high, the temperature kept changing between 90-91 and sometimes 92, the fan hit its max 88% ...

Is that normal ? Note that it is Metro 2033, on 1920x1080 resolution, all settings very high, take that in consideration ..

Well, "normal" is a relative term, based on your ambient room temperature and cooling in your case. If your room is warm and you have poor case cooling, then this may be normal for your GPU. But is it safe? That is the real question here. It sounds like the GPU fan on AUTO is doing it's job to keep it below 100C, but it is quite hot.

The GTX 470s do run very hot but NVIDIA stated they were designed to handle high temps well. I would say, be sure your room is as cool as you can get it without freezing yourself, make sure your case is clean (remove all dust, clean all dust filters on your fans if any are present) and make sure your case is rated well for air cooling. I have a CoolerMaster HAF932 and it works very well. Ugly, yes, but lots of airflow. The HAF X is nicer. Perhaps place a small fan pointed toward your air intake fan on your case to get more cool air in. Keep in mind that you need to make sure that the hot air can get out of the case fast enough, so be sure your exhaust fans are pushing out hot air.

Another option...If you have the cash, wait for the GTX 560 to release this month and sell the GTX 470. It will run much cooler and most likely be just as fast (if not slightly faster) as your 470.

Hope this helps.
January 18, 2011 5:46:22 PM

Yeah, I have nearly the same case, but not CoolerMaster, with one big fan on the side, so is this good ? I thought it was a bad idea, as its pushing back the heat coming from card, and not letting it out, so I should replace it back, lol !
January 18, 2011 6:08:41 PM

Or you can go buy a aftermarket cooler for it, preferably copper but that all depends on the cooler design.

a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 6:33:57 PM

zoro_2009 said:

Based on personal experience with a Reference GTX 470 & Metro 2033 @ 1920x1080 I can tell you this is normal.
a c 624 U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 7:05:08 PM

zoro_2009 said:

I don't like to contradict jerreece, but 88% on the fan is NOT normal, even while playing Metro 2033. As I stated before, your fan should not go above 75% if everything is running fine. Your 69% on Black Ops is more in line with what should be expected. It's hard to believe anything is seriously wrong if Black Ops runs fine with a lower fan speed, but Metro 2033 does not.

I'm speaking in terms of my experience with a GTX480, when my card suddenly started running consistently at a fan speed of over 80%, I RMA'ed it. Before that, for months, it never went above 74% on anything. Clean things out and make sure you have good airflow. If you could change your thermal paste, that would be my number one recommendation.
January 19, 2011 8:04:26 AM

But, I don't understand, its brand new Asus GTX 470 .. so I can't open it, and even if I can, I don't know how to do it, I've never opened a graphic card before !

I don't know maybe its really my case where the problem in the first place, do you think I should remove the big fan in the side ?
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 11:13:37 AM

you guys don't live in the same room dont you? your ambient temps is different from each other i suppose.
January 19, 2011 1:20:36 PM

What case specifically do you have?

Sounds like either a bad card/TIM application or very poor airflow.

I have a Silverstone FT02 which is pretty much the best aircooled case you can get, and my fan barely goes over 55-60% while gaming and doesn't generally hit temps any higher then 85 degrees. I think while running furmark I got to around 65%, but thats under heavy and unneccesary GPU load.

Post your case and fan config if different then stock and we can see what we're working with.
January 19, 2011 2:30:22 PM

wh3resmycar said:
you guys don't live in the same room dont you? your ambient temps is different from each other i suppose.

My room is cold, its freezing, espciallay this time of the year (winter), so thats not the issue !

Petey1013 said:

I have a Silverstone FT02 which is pretty much the best aircooled case you can get, and my fan barely goes over 55-60% while gaming and doesn't generally hit temps any higher then 85 degrees. I think while running furmark I got to around 65%, but thats under heavy and unneccesary GPU load.

Post your case and fan config if different then stock and we can see what we're working with.

Whats your card ?

I have a no-name case, but its nearly looks the same as the cooler master case posted above (CoolerMaster HAF932), except that I dont' have the fan in the back !
January 19, 2011 3:16:48 PM

Exactly how many fans does your case have? Do you at least have one fan sucking air out the back? I'm at work so I can't see pics and no I will not use proxies.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 3:17:42 PM

17seconds said:
I don't like to contradict jerreece, but 88% on the fan is NOT normal, even while playing Metro 2033. As I stated before, your fan should not go above 75% if everything is running fine. Your 69% on Black Ops is more in line with what should be expected. It's hard to believe anything is seriously wrong if Black Ops runs fine with a lower fan speed, but Metro 2033 does not.

I'm speaking in terms of my experience with a GTX480, when my card suddenly started running consistently at a fan speed of over 80%, I RMA'ed it. Before that, for months, it never went above 74% on anything. Clean things out and make sure you have good airflow. If you could change your thermal paste, that would be my number one recommendation.

I guess there's something wrong with my MSI GTX 470 and my Zotac GTX 470. :( 

I replaced the thermal paste on my MSI card and didn't see much change from the stock glob of gunk they had on it. But, I also used some old Antec Silver I had around, and not AS5. Though my Zotac does run slightly cooler than the MSI.

That being said, I use MSI Afterburner and custom fan profiles. So I haven't run mine at "default" fan control for a while. With the two cards in SLI while playing BFBC2 @ 1080p with all the settings cranked up I can exit the game and see temps in the 77c range by the time I hit the desktop. So I'm sure while actively gaming it's probably in the lower 80's.

But, part of that is probably due to the fact that BFBC2 is probably not pushing both GPUs to 100% either.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 3:18:23 PM

My room is cold, its freezing, espciallay this time of the year (winter), so thats not the issue ! said:
My room is cold, its freezing, espciallay this time of the year (winter), so thats not the issue !

the point im trying to make is that all of us have different ambient temps.

but if it's winter. i rest my case.
January 19, 2011 3:21:56 PM

A no-name case? Interesting. If you don't have the right fan setup for optimal airflow, all of the heat from the GTX 470 may be staying in the case causing the card to get hot. You should at least have a fan at the front or side of the case blowing that freezing air in your room into the case and another at the rear pulling the air out. As others have said, reapply the thermal paste on the GPU. There are tons of guides on the Internet on how to take the plastic shield and heatsink off of a GPU.
January 19, 2011 3:23:39 PM

wh3resmycar said:
the point im trying to make is that all of us have different ambient temps.

but if it's winter. i rest my case.

Winter where though? It is winter here in San Diego and it was 82F the other day. I'm just saying. :sol: 
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 3:46:16 PM

Winter doesn't necessarily mean anything. As misfit14 pointed out, it was 82F in San Diego. Plus, although it's in the 20's and 30's outside where I live, my office stays MUCH warmer because I have a furnace to heat my house.

Though my office ambient temperature does indeed vary depending on activity in the room. Some nights it is a bit cooler than others. But once I get my GTX 470's cranked up gaming a couple hours, it usually warms up a bit. ;) 
a c 624 U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 4:32:23 PM

I don't think it's an ambient air problem. I think there needs to be more testing on exactly what circumstances cause the fan to go above 75%. On COD, there are no problems, on Metro 2033 there is a problem.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2011 5:11:14 PM

COD games are generally not super taxing either. Where as Metro 2033 is an absolute beast if you have eye candy turned on. So that will indeed play a factor in temps while gaming. With a game like COD you can probably turn on Vsync, limit FPS to 60FPS, and watch your GPU use drop, temps drop, and fan speeds drop.

With Metro 2033 Vsync probably doesn't make a difference since you're probably not doing more than 60FPS in the first place.
January 20, 2011 12:59:58 PM

Sorry I can't believe I forgot to mention I have a 470 as well.

It's almost certainly your case first and foremost. While it may "look" close to another case, the fans and the exact layout have EVERYTHING to do with how well it cools. I could cool a system better with 4 good fans then I could with 10 lousy fans.

This is where I would start. Can you post any specific pics of your case?
January 20, 2011 1:22:16 PM

Like I said, my case is nearly the same as yours, except that I don't have the fan in the back !
January 20, 2011 1:27:01 PM

Doesn't matter what it's "like".

The actual specs on the fans and the EXACT layout make all the difference.

Your problem is your junk case almost certainly. So either post pics/specs so we can recommend new fans or a new case.
January 20, 2011 2:03:29 PM

OK I will (probably just drawing since I don't have a camera) ...

Petey1013 said:

you scared the *** out of me, its brand new one, how could be :( 
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:29:09 PM

zoro_2009 said:
OK I will (probably just drawing since I don't have a camera) ...

you scared the *** out of me, its brand new one, how could be :( 

It' a 470. 470's are hot and get loud.

It's true that better airflow will help. When things are perfect, the 470 is somewhat reasonable on loudness, but quickly gets out of hand when things aren't perfect.
a c 624 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 7:09:07 PM

zoro_2009 said:
Like I said, my case is nearly the same as yours, except that I don't have the fan in the back !

The back fan is the most important fan. If a case comes with only one fan, it will be the rear exhaust to pull air through the system (unless you have a top fan for the same purpose).
January 21, 2011 7:47:16 AM

jerreece said:
COD games are generally not super taxing either. Where as Metro 2033 is an absolute beast if you have eye candy turned on. So that will indeed play a factor in temps while gaming. With a game like COD you can probably turn on Vsync, limit FPS to 60FPS, and watch your GPU use drop, temps drop, and fan speeds drop.

With Metro 2033 Vsync probably doesn't make a difference since you're probably not doing more than 60FPS in the first place.

Thanks for the avice, I always turn VSync on, but I doubt that will do much at that resolution on most of the games, thanks any way !

Quote:
The back fan is the most important fan. If a case comes with only one fan, it will be the rear exhaust to pull air through the system (unless you have a top fan for the same purpose).

Well, I have holes instead of fan in the back, isn't that enough !
January 21, 2011 9:45:40 AM

Since Metro2033 is more demanding game than Crysis, I would say your temperature is normal according to the diagram below.

January 21, 2011 9:51:44 AM

By the way, it is really handy to have CPU-Z, HWMonitor, GPU-Z, CoreTemp, OCCT and LinX installed on your PC.
January 21, 2011 1:21:58 PM

No it's not enough.

So you don't have a fan in the back! Does it have any fans pushing air into the case?

If not there is your problem, your case probably does not have good airflow.

Add some fans, to it suck air out and your card won't spike that high might help a couple of degrees.

Keeping your case cool will also keep every component in your case cool, not just your gpu but also your cpu and chipsets.

January 21, 2011 1:48:09 PM

It's quite clear he has a terrible case. My advice is to just go pick up a Coolermaster 690 II Advanced or at the very least a Antec 300 with some extra fans or the illusion model. I dunno how you buy a $300 video card but stick it in a piece of crap case with no airflow. Especially a card that's known to run hotter then average.
January 21, 2011 1:49:23 PM

andy5174 said:
Since Metro2033 is more demanding game than Crysis, I would say your temperature is normal according to the diagram below.

Keep in mind most sites tested the 4 series in open air test benches where they performed very poorly compared to in a case with proper airflow.
January 21, 2011 7:27:49 PM

Okay, I can't afford a new case now, but I will add a fan in the back, so it'll be 2 fan, a big one in the side, and one in the back, should I add one more in the front ?...
I know its not the best solution, but it will help in a couple of degrees, right ?
!