Your question

New build will not

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Boot
  • New Build
Last response: in Motherboards
February 22, 2012 10:24:58 AM

EDIT[Forgot to finish the tile off] - New build will not boot Windows setup successfully.

Hello everyone,

Spec -

Asus P8z68-V Gen3
Core i5 2400
Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 2x 4gb
Corsair CX600W

OS Win 7 Pro

I have just put the above build together and am having some issues getting the system to load my windows setup.
A few points to add before I describe the problem. I have omitted my VGA card as I have already removed this and am using the on board graphics for testing.
I have no optical drive so what I am attempting is installing Windows from a bootable USB drive. I have two different bootable USB drives from a legit DVD.

When powering on the system, all seems to be fine. Memcheck reports ok etc. and I can enter the BIOS setup. On inspection of all components within BIOS, everything seems fine again, temps are normal, fan speeds etc.

I then select the boot menu from the BIOS and select the USB drive.
This then produces the familiar black screen with the white writing at the bottom stating "Windows is loading files" (or something similar to that). When the progress bar reaches the end, the familiar boot screen loads (shown below). This is where the system crashes. I have left it for over 45 minutes at this stage but this is where it stays. The only way out form this is to hit the reset button or disconnect power.

As mentioned above, I have created 2 different USB boot drives that both have the same issue. I have also tried booting a laptop using these USB drives and this will boot into the Windows setup process fine.

Today I am going to pickup an optical drive and attempt to boot form this but I suspect this will be no different.
I am fairly limited in my options for switching out things on the board but may be able to get my hands on some RAM.
The final idea I had was to reflash the BIOS, but this is a brand new board so also skeptical about that as well!

Does anyone have any ideas, or a stab in the dark about which component could be causing the problem?

Many thanks for any help.

Boot Screen :

More about : build

a c 435 V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 11:01:33 AM

I would try settting the ram in manual mode at 1333, 1.5v, and 9-9-9-24 for the timings. These are the most common settings for CL9 ram, and Intel recommends 1.5v for the max ram voltage.
February 22, 2012 11:24:03 AM

Hi 01die, thanks for the reply. These are the settings that the BIOS reports as default for the RAM anyway.
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 11:32:12 AM

Doesn't matter; use manual mode; it might run windows better.
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 11:41:24 AM

Are you trying to INSTALL windows from the USB or trying to RUN windows from the USB?
February 22, 2012 11:47:17 AM

clarkjd said:
Are you trying to INSTALL windows from the USB or trying to RUN windows from the USB?

Hi Clarkjd,

I am trying to install windows from the USB.

a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 2:19:33 PM

nhenson22 said:
Hi Clarkjd,

I am trying to install windows from the USB.

From the screen shots, it looks like the PC is trying to boot to Windows, and not to install. How did you create the USB image?
Was it something like this:
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2009/12/-the-usb-f...
February 22, 2012 2:28:34 PM

clarkjd said:
From the screen shots, it looks like the PC is trying to boot to Windows, and not to install. How did you create the USB image?

I created an ISO image of the Windows disc using Magic ISO and then used the Windows DVD/USB application to copy the image to the USB as a bootable format.

When I tested the bootable USB on the laptop it shows this splash screen directly before the window that pops up asking you to select your regional settings, Language, Keyboard etc. I went on successfully to select the partition for install but did not go further as I was obviously only using the laptop to test and did not want to install windows on the system.

EDIT : Yes, that was the exact tool I used.
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 2:35:09 PM

I had a very similar problem to this a few years back with Vista. Turned out that Windows was trying to install some files to my USB stick because it was the lowest numbered drive, or something like that. Caused the setup to hang indefinitely at exactly the same point yours is. Removing the USB stick made everything work just fine.

Can you try installing from the DVD? Might fix your problem too.
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 2:42:49 PM

nhenson22 said:
I created an ISO image of the Windows disc using Magic ISO and then used the Windows DVD/USB application to copy the image to the USB as a bootable format.

When I tested the bootable USB on the laptop it shows this splash screen directly before the window that pops up asking you to select your regional settings, Language, Keyboard etc. I went on successfully to select the partition for install but did not go further as I was obviously only using the laptop to test and did not want to install windows on the system.

EDIT : Yes, that was the exact tool I used.

did you try to building the USB key directly from the Win7 DVD?
Also the second page of the article gives a method of creating the USB drive without an .ISO image. You might try that.
February 22, 2012 2:44:28 PM

willard said:
I had a very similar problem to this a few years back with Vista. Turned out that Windows was trying to install some files to my USB stick because it was the lowest numbered drive, or something like that. Caused the setup to hang indefinitely at exactly the same point yours is. Removing the USB stick made everything work just fine.

Can you try installing from the DVD? Might fix your problem too.

Hi willard, thanks for the reply.

I had wondered if the problem may be as straightforward as that. I did the upgrade on a budget so missed out an optical drive, hence the bootable USB. I am leaving work shortly with and optical drive and a spare stick of RAM for good measure. Will reply with results this evening.
February 22, 2012 2:48:11 PM

clarkjd said:
did you try to building the USB key directly from the Win7 DVD?
Also the second page of the article gives a method of creating the USB drive without an .ISO image. You might try that.

Ok, I will give the second method a try as well. Will post results this evening. Thanks
February 22, 2012 6:56:26 PM

Ok, so switching out the hard drive actually solved the above error. Only problem was that then setup of windows would start but this would then blue screen with a message about a page_fault. Swapped out the RAM that I brought home from work and voila, Windows installed successfully, slowly added Graphics adaptor and other devices back in and all is running smoothly.

RMA for the ram and will order some new sticks.

Only thing that concerns me is that this is the second time in 3 years that I have had DOA Corsair RAM. Anyone have any alternative suggestions to this set?

Thanks for all the help.
February 23, 2012 8:40:00 AM

How do I mark as solved?
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2012 11:12:48 AM

nhenson22 said:
How do I mark as solved?

If you pick a "Best Answer" then it will automatically be marked as solved.
!