GTX 460 in a system with a 2.1ghz dual core

chronous3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
hey everyone, I have a computer with an old sempron 2.1ghz and an 8800gt. this thing can handle oblivion with crap settings, but really struggles at anything current. i was wondering... if i put something really new like a gtx 460 in it, would the cpu bottleneck that card so severely that it wouldnt even be much of a performance upgrade? or would it even be one at all?

(32 bit win 7 w/4gigs of ram)

Solution
The GTX460 would be held back drastically by your Sempron CPU and benefit would be minimal going from your 8800GT. Being an AM2 board you should be able to grab a cheap X2 around 5000+ of ebay which would be a much better match with the GTX460.
I would spend the money on a CPU upgrade instead of a card.It is possible you might see a small performance gain just by upgrading the CPU and still using the 8800gt.

What type of mobo do you have(socket)?
And plz list your full system specs.(power supply,mobo,CPU,etc.)

chronous3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
its an AM2 socket. i dont have much headroom for an upgrade =/ i cant find the actual motherboard online... i was planning on just buying a new computer since between the old mobo with a crap socket, non pci-e 2.0 graphics slots, old graphics card, and awful cpu, slow ram, etc.. the whole thing really needs to be upgraded. but i considered potentially saving a couple grand on a new top of the line system and getting a solid boost from just 1 card upgrade....

550watt PS

i should also add that i very foolishly bought this in a store, i was impatient and didn't know a lot about computers at the time. Acer AM1100-B1410A.

chronous3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Then I had the revelation that the GTX 460 is cheap and could technically go in my comp, and is a huge upgrade, buuuuut.... yeah. This whole thing is way overdue for replacement.

The GTX460 would be held back drastically by your Sempron CPU and benefit would be minimal going from your 8800GT. Being an AM2 board you should be able to grab a cheap X2 around 5000+ of ebay which would be a much better match with the GTX460.

Solution

chronous3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

I thought about that, I could get something like a 3.1 ish ghz X2 for pretty cheap, but I didn't know if that would honestly make much difference. Do you think it would by itself, and do you think if I did, that getting a 460 would be a large upgrade with a CPU thats 1ghz faster?

4gigs is still a lot,for an old computer.Does it ever max out when doing stuff?
What is the make/model of the PSU?
Also what type of RAM do u have?Maybe it can be salvaged.

So i'm guessing your budget would be around $200 since thats how much a GTX460 usually goes for.This is what i've got so far...

Phenom ii x2 555B.E.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846

MSI 770T AM2+/AM2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130307

So your around $160 for those 2.And you've got $40 twards a GTX460.
Also the Mobo is great for that prossesor it can unlock cores to make it a x3 or a x4,i'm not sure how many u will be able to unlock but the prossesor is brand new and competes with quad core's.

chronous3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

I've been planning on getting a new computer for years (keeps being pushed back for one reason or another). I was originally going to attempt building one myself from parts off newegg as I'd never put one together before from scratch, and it would be good experience. I found a site though, ibuypower, that has excellent selection and prices that when totalled, are almost the same as individually from newegg. So... I was going to buy one from there and save the hassel. If I end up getting a new comp, I'm currently thinking of going with an i7-950, gtx 580, and a P6X58D-E for upgradability. The 580 is kinda overkill, but I've never had a top of the line computer and would like to experience that for once haha.

edit: Thank you all for the advice. It's much appreciated. =)

minitron815

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
If it's an AM2/+ you can upgrade your processor very easily and can get that computer to be more than capable of running most games.

I would suggest a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

You can even put AM3 CPUs in there such as Phenom II X6s

Pairing a 3 gig quad/hexa core with that 8800/9800GT should allow you to increase the settings on all your games (it should handle Oblivion/Fallout with ease). PCI-e 1.0 is fine for any non-SLI/CF so you don't need to upgrade your motherboard unless you want to get a new CPU or move into a DDR3 system (which won't matter for games). The HyperTransport on that AM2 is probably a bit low but won't be a big deal.

So for $135 you can keep your current setup and play all modern games with relatively high quality even with your current video card.

Unless you want to play Metro 2033 @ 1920x1080 with 4AA/16AF on high you don't need a new computer.

adampcman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

I totally agree minitron815! If he change his slow Sempron CPU (huge bottleneck in his rig btw), then his GPU and RAM should handle almost any modern game today.