Advise on New Build

Stuart_B

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Ok time for a new PC. Im going to use it for purely gaming and maybe home theatre~. Currently using AMD dual core 5000+ x2, 8800 GTS so upgrade is needed :kaola:. I aim to overclock moderatly.

I originaly aimed my budget for about £500-£600 but now looking more £600~~ (yes I caved in).

Here is what I put together so far:

I already have an after-market cooler and 500GB SATA II WD HDD from my old system that ile use.

My concerns were the PSU and HDD. Shall I get a bigger PSU just in case I pick up another 460 in the future once the price drops or not bother? And of course the HDD, was looking into a simple SATA II or III Raid 0 array as SSD seem alittle pricey.

Slightly new to this but please fire away guys, advice welcome :D

Based off from what I can see here it looks like a very solid build that should run very well for you. I do have a single question do you already have an OS? I don’t see that on your build. Also you can use this tool to see where you need to be on the low end on power supplies http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. Also if you can find it from within your budget take a look at adding in a SSD. I am running the Intel® Solid-State Drive X25-M 80GB as a boot drive and I can get boot times around 20 seconds.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Stuart_B

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Yea Im looking into maybe a 32GB SSD for the OS. Sorry for not mentioning I already have a retail Win.7 Pro bought for me :p

Stuart_B

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Meh keeping the PSU and now upped my budget a little to make the GPU more future proof. lets say up to £700 now.

Looking at 560ti and the 6950s but never used ATI before!

Stuart_B

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Ok final try with about £30 left over, still not going to bother with an SSD, maybe in the near future i might. Shall I just buy another HDD to put games on seperately?

Thoughts and input...