Real-time camera view on PC?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 11, 2005 8:12:40 PM

Hi everyone,

I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.

Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?

Thanks!

Jeff

More about : real time camera view

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:12:41 PM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:12:40 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jeff"
<africanjeff-nospamplease-@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
>Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
>controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
>in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
>

>Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
>image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
>the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?

If not, you an use the video out and a small TV/monitor.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:12:41 PM

"Jeff" <africanjeff-nospamplease-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light
> box. Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
> controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC.
> It's in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
>

> Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
> image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also
> activate the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

The Canon cheapie cameras do this quite well.
February 11, 2005 8:40:23 PM

africanjeff-nospamplease-@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote in

> Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a
> real-time image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view
> finder) and also activate the shutter, all without having to touch
> the camera?

My cheapie Canon A60 came with such software; are you sure there's
not something like that with the stuff that came with yours?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@visi.com
Anonymous

"Jeff" <africanjeff-nospamplease-@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a
> light box. Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to
> operate the controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera
> from my PC. It's in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable
> connected.
>

> Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a
> real-time image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder)
> and also activate the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

It all depends on whether or not your camera is slr, if so it is not
possible. THe simplest explaination is that on dslr's the mirror is down
when not taking the shot so that the image is not projected onto the sensor
until the button is pressed.

On point & shoots there is no mirror so it is possible to project the image
onto the sensor even when the shot is not being exposed.

If anyone has a better description it may help.

Mick Brown
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 2:08:10 AM

At one time there was an accessory viewing attachment available for some
35mm SLRs that allowed viewing via a video monitor. The purpose was for
viewing images from cameras that were airborn using a blimp-like device.
Radio transmitters and receivers were required. I don't know if the device
is still available or if it would be economically viable.

KB

"Mick Brown" <nmcs_remove_@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> "Jeff" <africanjeff-nospamplease-@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a
>> light box. Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to
>> operate the controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera
>> from my PC. It's in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable
>> connected.
>>

>> Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a
>> real-time image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder)
>> and also activate the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> It all depends on whether or not your camera is slr, if so it is not
> possible. THe simplest explaination is that on dslr's the mirror is down
> when not taking the shot so that the image is not projected onto the
> sensor
> until the button is pressed.
>
> On point & shoots there is no mirror so it is possible to project the
> image
> onto the sensor even when the shot is not being exposed.
>
> If anyone has a better description it may help.
>
> Mick Brown
> www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
February 12, 2005 4:14:40 PM

Jeff wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
> Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
> controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
> in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
>

> Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
> image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
> the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

The Camedia software that ships with Oly cameras probably has this capability. At least it did the last time I looked at the
software, which I don't use.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:15:50 PM

In article <cI5Pd.363127$6l.77019@pd7tw2no>, Jeff <africanjeff-
nospamplease-@hotmail.com> writes
>Hi everyone,
>
>I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
>Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
>controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
>in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
>

>Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
>image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
>the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jeff

Yes, such software does exist as the Epson PhotoPC 800 (and 850?) come
with the Epson Photo!3 program which provides the USB connection between
camera and computer. One facet of this program is the Controls menu
which gives software control over various camera functions - image
quality, flash mode, self timer and macro. The menu also features a live
preview window although the update speed is quite low and not really
suited to moving subjects.

The PhotoPC 800 focuses down to .15 metres in macro mode but is only a
2.1 Megapixel camera with internal interpolation to 1984x1488 pixels
available as an option which may not be sufficient for your purposes.

As the 800 is available relatively cheaply on ebay it may be worthwhile
getting (complete with software) and experimenting.

--
David Wright
Anonymous

David Wright <dwright@foresthill.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In article <cI5Pd.363127$6l.77019@pd7tw2no>, Jeff <africanjeff-
> nospamplease-@hotmail.com> writes
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
> >Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
> >controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
> >in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
> >

> >Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
> >image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
> >the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Jeff
> >

> Yes, such software does exist as the Epson PhotoPC 800 (and 850?) come
> with the Epson Photo!3 program which provides the USB connection between
> camera and computer. One facet of this program is the Controls menu
> which gives software control over various camera functions - image
> quality, flash mode, self timer and macro. The menu also features a live
> preview window although the update speed is quite low and not really
> suited to moving subjects.

In terms of the E10, I believe the shareware at pinetreecomputing.com will
allow everything except the real-time image view. On many non-DSLR cameras,
but I'm not sure about the E10, you can hook up a TV screen to the camera, and
view that instead of the LCD.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Gee - all these posts and only one answer to your question - how Usenet
is THAT? :-/

Search for "Cam2Com" - it works well on my C-5060, and it's supposed to
work with the Oly E-series, also:

http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com

Good Luck!
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:53:12 PM

grruffbow...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Gee - all these posts and only one answer to your question - how
Usenet
> is THAT? :-/
>
> Search for "Cam2Com" - it works well on my C-5060, and it's supposed
> work with the Oly E-series, also:
>
> http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com
>
> Good Luck!

Hah! Here I go blathering my mouth off, and I don't know what I'm
talking about! Cam2Com works with most Oly cameras EXCEPT the E10 and
E20.... too bad, it's a good program and it's free. Michael Meissner's
suggestion (Pinetree) may be your only option.

There are a bunch of reviews of this kind of software at Steve's
Digicams:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_cameractrl.h...

I haven't personally tried any of these others though....

Good Luck!
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:57:59 PM

There are a number of different cameras that will allow control from
the PC. The one that I like the best is the Canon "G" series. 3,5, or
6. I use the G5 tethered to my PC for shooting product shots. It
allows full control of the camera including real time view and control
of the zoom lens. Shutter speed, aperture and white balance can all be
controlled as well. You click to take the picture then the image is
saved directly to the PC hard drive to a folder of your choice and can
be brought up immediately in PS or any other software and worked.

The Pro 1 has this feature as well and the software is supplied from
Canon at no extra cost.

I also have an A2 that I love and it can also be controlled by a PC
however KM charges extra for the software and I have not bothered to
acquire it so I cannot say first hand how well it works.

For my money the "G" series is at the top of the pile for this type of
work. I have my G5 on a tripod in front of a shooting table using med
grey seamless. When I have something to shoot I lay out the item, turn
on the camera and lights, fire up the software and can be done in less
than 5 minutes. This is NOT print work but rather for the WEB so my
quality is not magazine standard.

I am sure that if you look around you will find even more cameras that
have the capability that you are looking for but I am not sure you
will ever find software that will give you the same type of control in
the E10.

Good luck,

John

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:15:50 +0000, David Wright
<dwright@foresthill.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <cI5Pd.363127$6l.77019@pd7tw2no>, Jeff <africanjeff-
>nospamplease-@hotmail.com> writes
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I have an Olympus E10 and I'm using it to photograph jewelry in a light box.
>>Due to the positioning of the camera, it's difficult to operate the
>>controls. It would be ideal if I could control the camera from my PC. It's
>>in a fixed position and I always have the USB cable connected.
>>

>>Has anyone ever heard of software that will allow me to see a real-time
>>image on my PC (as if I were looking thru the view finder) and also activate
>>the shutter, all without having to touch the camera?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>Yes, such software does exist as the Epson PhotoPC 800 (and 850?) come
>with the Epson Photo!3 program which provides the USB connection between
>camera and computer. One facet of this program is the Controls menu
>which gives software control over various camera functions - image
>quality, flash mode, self timer and macro. The menu also features a live
>preview window although the update speed is quite low and not really
>suited to moving subjects.
>
>The PhotoPC 800 focuses down to .15 metres in macro mode but is only a
>2.1 Megapixel camera with internal interpolation to 1984x1488 pixels
>available as an option which may not be sufficient for your purposes.
>
>As the 800 is available relatively cheaply on ebay it may be worthwhile
>getting (complete with software) and experimenting.

I am opinionated and I know it. My advice is FREE and like all such advice it's worth exactly what you pay for it.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:34:32 PM

grruffbowwow@yahoo.com writes:

> grruffbow...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Gee - all these posts and only one answer to your question - how
> Usenet
> > is THAT? :-/
> >
> > Search for "Cam2Com" - it works well on my C-5060, and it's supposed
> > work with the Oly E-series, also:
> >
> > http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com
> >
> > Good Luck!
>
> Hah! Here I go blathering my mouth off, and I don't know what I'm
> talking about! Cam2Com works with most Oly cameras EXCEPT the E10 and
> E20.... too bad, it's a good program and it's free. Michael Meissner's
> suggestion (Pinetree) may be your only option.

Hmmm, I just assumed the E-10/E-20 were supported, since other cameras from its
era were supported, and it was designed as a pro camera. From pinetree's page
of supported cameras, it looks like it isn't support. Bibble Pro seems to
support it, but that is $129. The Olympus Software Developer kit for $40
allows you to talk to various cameras (presumably this is used by cam2ctl and
pinetree), but the E10 and E20 are not included (E1 is included though). There
are lots of times where Olympus' actions mystify me.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:18:36 PM

Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> writes:

> grruffbowwow@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > grruffbow...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > Gee - all these posts and only one answer to your question - how
> > Usenet
> > > is THAT? :-/
> > >
> > > Search for "Cam2Com" - it works well on my C-5060, and it's supposed
> > > work with the Oly E-series, also:
> > >
> > > http://sabsik.com/Cam2Com
> > >
> > > Good Luck!
> >
> > Hah! Here I go blathering my mouth off, and I don't know what I'm
> > talking about! Cam2Com works with most Oly cameras EXCEPT the E10 and
> > E20.... too bad, it's a good program and it's free. Michael Meissner's
> > suggestion (Pinetree) may be your only option.
>
> Hmmm, I just assumed the E-10/E-20 were supported, since other cameras from
> its era were supported, and it was designed as a pro camera. From pinetree's
> page of supported cameras, it looks like it isn't support. Bibble Pro seems
> to support it, but that is $129. The Olympus Software Developer kit for $40
> allows you to talk to various cameras (presumably this is used by cam2ctl and
> pinetree), but the E10 and E20 are not included (E1 is included though).
> There are lots of times where Olympus' actions mystify me.

Though you might want to check with both Bibble and Cam2Ctl, upon further
investigation, it looks like Bibble may not support tethering on Olympus, and
the Cam2Ctl site says the E20 just can't be controlled by computer. As I said,
the ways of Olympus are mysterious....

--
!