Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1500-2000 (with monitor) Gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 21, 2011 2:38:14 PM

Okay, I have built computers before and have some experience doing so. Currently I am without a computer except my wife's old laptop. I need *everything* for this build.

Approximate Purchase Date: End of this week or I can hold off a bit if there is a reason. If I hold off an additional 2 weeks I will easily have $2000+ to spend if that helps justify the wait

Budget Range: 1500 now, 2000+ in 3 weeks After rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, HD movie watching, internet browsing

Parts Not Required: I need all parts including a monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS. I'd even like to hear recommendations for headphone/mics from you guys

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I love newegg. Ordering everything from there would be ideal. I also live fairly close to a Fry's if that helps.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I love AMD but for this budget I will be going with Sandy Bridge all the way

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: As I don't currently have a monitor this can be tailored to the system

Additional Comments: This doesn't need to be flashy and the less bright LEDs the better. I'd like a quieter PC if possible. I'd like an SSD drive but i've read that much faster drives are due on the market at any moment. What do?

Parts I've found:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $224.99 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock P67 EXTREME6 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
OUT OF STOCK. :??: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $299.99
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX160G 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive Wait for new drives or go with this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Price: $159.98 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM



That is all I have so far and I could really use advice on which monitor to choose etc. The games I will be playing will include SC2, Black Ops (eugh, I know but my friends love it), DOW2 as well as other new games that come out.

Best solution

March 21, 2011 4:17:21 PM

This build allows you to add another one of those factory over clocked gtx 560's for SLI. If you wait another 3-4 weeks you can grab that Asrock mobo down below from newegg and for the same price and cheaper shipping. Those red LED case fan lights on that case turn off so you don't see the "red", and with the big 200mm fans it runs it runs quiet vs smaller fans that tend to sound like a rocket ship. That monitor down below is the "cream of the crop" as far as gaming monitors go. It's LED back lit, and has a 120hz refresh rate amongst other goodies it offers. The headset is linked to amazon for the fact newegg charges and arm and a leg for it when you add on shipping charges. The cpu h/s comes with decent thermal paste and it will allow you a decent o/c, The psu is semi modular and gives you enough juice to push two of those cards and still leave you head room for o/c, etc...

As far as an SSD goes...I would look at OCZ, G.SKill, Mushkin, Crucial, and Corsair and grab one on sale that fits your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $109.98 - $99.98 after mail-in rebate
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99 FREE SHIPPING
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67X4B3&tit... $153.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3 LGA1155/ Intel P67 B3/ DDR3/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$8.00 Combo Price: $246.98
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$15.00 Combo Price: $329.98
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $17.99 Free shipping w/ promo code EMCKGJE65, ends 3/21
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... ombo Discount: -$5.00 Combo Price: $159.98 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

http://www.frys.com/product/6417522?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN... $399.99
BEN Q XL2410T 23.6" LED Backlit Monitor (NVIDIA 3D Ready)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $64.99 FREE SHIPPING
Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlighting Gaming Keyboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1-Channel-Surround-Sou... $98.91 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Logitech G35 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Headset

Total: $1,842.76 *not including shipping, rebates, promo codes, etc..

http://www.benq.com/products/product_detail.cfm?product... <----- BENQ XL2410T monitor

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-pr... <--- review on that monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <--- more specs and customer reviews of that headset on newegg

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1098/pg2/asrock-e... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080/welcome-to-sandy-bri... <--- Review before the latest bios...and it still smoked the Asus and Gigabyte boards :) 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <----- ASRock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard
Share
March 21, 2011 6:00:21 PM

Quote:
As far as an SSD goes...I would look at OCZ, G.SKill, Mushkin, Crucial, and Corsair and grab one on sale that fits your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119197 $109.98 - $99.98 after mail-in rebate
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.618217 Combo Discount: -$8.00 Combo Price: $246.98
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.604446 Combo Discount: -$15.00 Combo Price: $329.98
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.frys.com/product/641752 [...] IN_RSLT_PG $399.99
BEN Q XL2410T 23.6" LED Backlit Monitor (NVIDIA 3D Ready)


Wow, that Ben Q monitor looks great but geez what a price tag. Is there a a way to shave that price down a bit? I've just been donated a keyboard from a friend so that saves some cash there. Also, that case looks great! I had previously just looked at the antec 300 v3 (?) and after looking around this case seems to be highly recommended, cool.

To go back to the SSD, Does anyone know when the Vertex SSDs come out? Or would the Intel 510s be sufficient? I read an anandtech review http://www.anandtech.com/show/4202/the-intel-ssd-510-re... that liked it but also pointed out the ways the Vertex is better. My question is: for a normal user with SOME power usage etc would I see the difference between these drives?

What would make more impact for this system: 1) a fast SSD drive or 2) overclocking the cpu and gpu?

I guess I am just trying to justify the price of an SSD drive
m
0
l
Related resources
March 21, 2011 6:43:20 PM

cletus said:
Quote:
As far as an SSD goes...I would look at OCZ, G.SKill, Mushkin, Crucial, and Corsair and grab one on sale that fits your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119197 $109.98 - $99.98 after mail-in rebate
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.618217 Combo Discount: -$8.00 Combo Price: $246.98
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.604446 Combo Discount: -$15.00 Combo Price: $329.98
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.frys.com/product/641752 [...] IN_RSLT_PG $399.99
BEN Q XL2410T 23.6" LED Backlit Monitor (NVIDIA 3D Ready)


Wow, that Ben Q monitor looks great but geez what a price tag. Is there a a way to shave that price down a bit? I've just been donated a keyboard from a friend so that saves some cash there. Also, that case looks great! I had previously just looked at the antec 300 v3 (?) and after looking around this case seems to be highly recommended, cool.

To go back to the SSD, Does anyone know when the Vertex SSDs come out? Or would the Intel 510s be sufficient? I read an anandtech review http://www.anandtech.com/show/4202/the-intel-ssd-510-re... that liked it but also pointed out the ways the Vertex is better. My question is: for a normal user with SOME power usage etc would I see the difference between these drives?

What would make more impact for this system: 1) a fast SSD drive or 2) overclocking the cpu and gpu?

I guess I am just trying to justify the price of an SSD drive

An SSD loads proggy faster...nothing else. Some peeps get smaller ones to boot Windows quicker, some get larger ones to add more proggy's to them, but unless you have no life and never see the light of day .like one of those peeps who live on their keyboard and monitor, or if you make a living using a computer, an SSD doesn't do jack crap for you. Iv'e seen peeps on here gut builds, screw themselves quality and FPS wise just to fit an SSD in their builds. To me that's insane.

As far as a monitor goes...theirs decent ones on newegg for a lot cheaper than that BenQ.
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 1:24:51 PM

Here is my current build going off of what I have been reading up on:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $109.98 - $99.98 after mail-in rebate
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99 FREE SHIPPING
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67X4B3&tit... $153.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3 LGA1155/ Intel P67 B3/ DDR3/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$8.00 Combo Price: $246.98
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Price 99.88

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
2x GIGABYTE GV-R695D5-2GD-B Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card AND Windows 7 OEM Price: $679.97 after rebates

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $17.99 Free shipping w/ promo code EMCKGJE65, ends 3/21
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Price 64.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1 [...] 078&sr=8-1 $98.91 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Logitech G35 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Headset

Price 1801.67 (after 20 rebate for the video cards)


What do you think of the monitor? This also leaves room for an SSD drive to get around 2k
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 2:25:53 PM

cletus said:
Here is my current build going off of what I have been reading up on:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $109.98 - $99.98 after mail-in rebate
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99 FREE SHIPPING
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67X4B3&tit... $153.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3 LGA1155/ Intel P67 B3/ DDR3/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$8.00 Combo Price: $246.98
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Price 99.88

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
2x GIGABYTE GV-R695D5-2GD-B Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card AND Windows 7 OEM Price: $679.97 after rebates

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $17.99 Free shipping w/ promo code EMCKGJE65, ends 3/21
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Price 64.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1 [...] 078&sr=8-1 $98.91 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Logitech G35 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Headset

Price 1801.67 (after 20 rebate for the video cards)


What do you think of the monitor? This also leaves room for an SSD drive to get around 2k

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $189.99 - $179.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING $20 off w/ promo code EMCKGHH49, ends 3/23
ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

***Don't forget to make combo's to save some $$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$15.00 Combo Price: $329.98
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$5.00 Combo Price: $159.98 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 2:39:09 PM

Why_Me said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $189.99 - $179.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING $20 off w/ promo code EMCKGHH49, ends 3/23
ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

***Don't forget to make combo's to save some $$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$15.00 Combo Price: $329.98
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$5.00 Combo Price: $159.98 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM


oops, I guess I left off the monitor but you chose the one I had chosen. I got an OEM windows comboed with the video cards above. Will the power supply be adequate for 2x 6950s? I plan to unlock the shaders and mild OC the video card as well as OC the processor but leave the power saving on.

I heard the vertex 3 should be releasing maybe this week or next week so I will just wait and see I guess
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 2:49:07 PM

cletus said:
oops, I guess I left off the monitor but you chose the one I had chosen. I got an OEM windows comboed with the video cards above. Will the power supply be adequate for 2x 6950s? I plan to unlock the shaders and mild OC the video card as well as OC the processor but leave the power saving on.

I heard the vertex 3 should be releasing maybe this week or next week so I will just wait and see I guess

750w should be just fine...those cards don't draw that much juice.
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 2:58:48 PM

Looks like you should have an awesome new system soon :D 

But I will pop in my 2 cents on the audio side; The G35, while being a good headset if you need USB, isn't my first choice if you're happy to use standard analogue outputs. I'm currently using a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones which from my experience and lots of others if you search on it, is awesome for positioning and also good for clarity. Pair them with an Asus DG sound card (and use the included Dolby Headphone which is the same technology used on the G35) and you have a winning combination. Add in a Zalman clip on mic if you need voice, the better input of the DG should improve clarity a bit, but I've not personally heard the G35's mic so I'm not sure if one would be clearly superior over the other.

The solution isn't quite as "clean" cablewise and so forth, but when I first heard these headphones, the extra clarity really did make me smile so give it a think ;)  however both will work well.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audio...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Microphone-Zm-Mic1-Sensiti...
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 5:12:23 PM

Quote:
OK! You ready for this?! I had to go to cheap without sacrificing too much quality or power in a few areas in order to introduce you to the world of 3D and THX! Nvidia 3D Vision Kit can be bought later! Don't hurt me!

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Plextor PX-M2 Series PX-64M2S 2.5" 64GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LITE-ON 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu-ray 3D feature Model iHBS112
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS VG236HE Black 23" 1920X1080 2ms Height,Swivel & Tilt Adjustable Full HD 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Alpha USB Connector Circumaural Headset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Black 102 Normal Keys USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

TOTAL COST: $1987.85 (before shipping,rebates,combos, or promotional codes)


http://www.totalpowerpc.com/index.html

You have a mobo in that build meant for dual vid cards, and a psu that's only good for pushing one vid card, and it's not that great of a psu to begin with. Same with that case..it's a one card case imo. Hitachi h/d's aren't known for quality, and what gamer uses cordless anything ? If your a competitive gamer the last thing you want to worry about is battery's. And Nvidea 3d still has a ways to go imo before it's worth looking into.
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 5:14:16 PM

Mark Heath said:
Looks like you should have an awesome new system soon :D 

But I will pop in my 2 cents on the audio side; The G35, while being a good headset if you need USB, isn't my first choice if you're happy to use standard analogue outputs. I'm currently using a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones which from my experience and lots of others if you search on it, is awesome for positioning and also good for clarity. Pair them with an Asus DG sound card (and use the included Dolby Headphone which is the same technology used on the G35) and you have a winning combination. Add in a Zalman clip on mic if you need voice, the better input of the DG should improve clarity a bit, but I've not personally heard the G35's mic so I'm not sure if one would be clearly superior over the other.

The solution isn't quite as "clean" cablewise and so forth, but when I first heard these headphones, the extra clarity really did make me smile so give it a think ;)  however both will work well.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audio...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Microphone-Zm-Mic1-Sensiti...

After reading the reviews on those items I'm going to give em a try. I'm not really into the USB headset's myself. They don't seem as clear as the analogue set ups imo.
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 5:29:02 PM

Wow, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Quick question: Is there any particular reason for choosing the 560s over the HD 6950 (to then flash to 6970s)?

Further to the question of video cards.. 2x 6950s or 1 580 to go SLI with later?

Back to SSDs: I've decided against a Vertex 3 simply due to all the shadiness that surrounds the current vertex product (holy hell, try reading the OCZ forums).
How about this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Price 289.99

Damn steep price though.
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 5:47:50 PM

Quote:
The motherboard being 2 card ready is insignificant. It is a great board for the price and has incredible sound. The PSU is great and gets great reviews on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... At least 159 people are extremely happy with it. The case is great and recommended by Tom's Hardware, so...(?!) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Hitachi hard drives are better than the current offerings from WD,Seagate,etc. when it comes to SATA 6.0Gb/s, large storage 3TB, 2TB, 1TB. The drive I recommended is only $20 more than WD Caviar Black SATA 6.0 Gb/s 1TB. I am a gamer and I use wireless keyboard and mouse all day and night and so do many people. It takes months before I have to change batteries and I game all the time. Nvidia 3D is incredible and it's not just for games, it's also for 3D blu-rays which the optical drive I recommend is very capable of.

I like the look (and price) of that case. It seems I always tell myself to get a really good case every build but I always end up just getting the cheapo cases.

For me personally I have no current use for 3D as I will be watching my 3d blu-rays on my 3d tv. I think I will stick with the Samsung drive as I don't forsee myself needing more than 1TB of storage.

For the SSD, the price of $179 is quite tempting but I was only able to find one review which noted some problems with latency http://www.storagereview.com/plextor_pxm2_ssd_review_12...

Do you have any other reviews? I am pretty interested in it overall.

Thanks again for another option for my build :D 
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 1:31:39 AM

Why_Me said:
After reading the reviews on those items I'm going to give em a try. I'm not really into the USB headset's myself. They don't seem as clear as the analogue set ups imo.

hehe.. it was more of a suggestion to cletus, but bleh at least I might've made somebody happy :) 
m
0
l
March 24, 2011 7:37:20 AM

Look at the In-Win Track Case, check out the reviews on it. It also is cheaper than the HAF 922, and it has a combo with the 750 Antec PSU for $30 off. Also instead of the cooler master 212 cooler, scroll down on the 2500k combo list to the scythe cooler. It is the Mugen 2 cooler, check out the review of it at hardwaresecrets. It is a much much better cooling option for the same price damn near. Superbiiz has the Extreme4 asrock board in stock, and the samsung spinpoint drives are cheaper from them as well.

Case Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30SYfAo1ttw
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/In-Win-Track-Cas...

Cooler Review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/822
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 2:08:13 PM

I am back and with good news :D 

I found a great deal locally on a headset and logitech mouse so that is taken care of.

My current build as it stands now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive - OEM
18.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
99.98

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
59.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor
189.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
274.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...
109.99


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
254.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
1. Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
AND
2. COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
251.98


The ASRock Extreme4 just sold out so i'll get it from superbiiz or wait a bit and see if it comes into stock.

EMCKFKE22 Discount From Promo Code -$5.00
EMCKFKJ22 Discount From Promo Code -$55.00 (SSD Discount)


So, look good? Opinions on the Power supply and Ram? Also am I missing anything here?

Thanks a ton for the help guys. I have become super interested in newegg promos because of this, haha

m
0
l
April 6, 2011 8:51:21 PM

Quote:
you may wanna hold out a little for OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III SSD or a Patriot Wildfire SATA III SSD...i recently saw that Amazon has the OCZ cuz it's already out of stock at Newegg but faster read/write speeds for roughly the same amount of money as the other SATA III SSD's...as fast as technology evolves it's kinda hard to stay on top of everything but you may as well try to get the best bang for your buck...just a thought


http://www.totalpowerpc.com/solid-state-drives-ssd.html

Yeah, I thought about that but the c300 deal is 120gb for under $200 after the promotion so I think that is enough to make me pull the trigger on it.

How does the powersupply look? Good to go for future crossfire HD 6950s?
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 10:10:12 PM

:whistle: 

I went ahead and ordered my parts!

Total including shipping
Superbiiz $167.95 (ASRock Extreme4)

Newegg $1436.02 after shipping and $100 :o  off in promotions!


Thanks for all the help in this thread and in all the threads I read to get the information I needed. :D 
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 10:28:52 PM

Best answer selected by cletus.
m
0
l
!