Sign in with
Your question

Front panel USB3 not working on Asus p8z68v-pro Gen3

Last response: in Motherboards
February 22, 2012 5:36:05 PM

For some reason, the front panel USB 3.0 ports on my case (plugged into the motherboard's 20 Pin USB header) will not work. I have the controller enabled in the BOIS and the driver installed from Asus's website, but nothing works. The USB 3 ports on the back of the motherboard, however, do work.

The USB 3 ports show up as ASMedia XHCI Controller and USB Root Hub in device manager.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work, or is the header on my motherboard just defective?
February 27, 2012 10:06:52 AM

rickgabriel said:
For some reason, the front panel USB 3.0 ports on my case (plugged into the motherboard's 20 Pin USB header) will not work. I have the controller enabled in the BOIS and the driver installed from Asus's website, but nothing works. The USB 3 ports on the back of the motherboard, however, do work.

The USB 3 ports show up as ASMedia XHCI Controller and USB Root Hub in device manager.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work, or is the header on my motherboard just defective?

The non working front USB3 ports was due to a setting in the BIOS under advanced, Onboard device configuration.

PCI Express X16_3 slot (Black) bandwidth [auto]
Allows you to select the PCI Express X16_3 slot bandwidth.

[auto] PCIeX16_3 slot runs at X1 mode for system resources optimization. (PCIeX1_2 will be disabled)
[X4 mode] PCIeX16_3 slot runs at x4 mode for high performance support. (USB3_34,eSATA ports, PCIeX1_1, PCIeX1_2 will be disabled)
[X1 mode] PCIeX16_3 slot runs at X1 mode with all slots enabled. (USB3_34 will be disabled.)

So in a nutshell this HAS to be set to Auto, otherwise the USB3_34 which is the USB3 port on the motherboard wont work and in turn anything connected to it. It also (I believe. If am wrong please correct me) means that this motherboard can not have that USB3_34 port used at the same time as a SLI configuration.
m
l
February 27, 2012 3:26:16 PM

for_the_buzz said:
The non working front USB3 ports was due to a setting in the BIOS under advanced, Onboard device configuration.

PCI Express X16_3 slot (Black) bandwidth [auto]
Allows you to select the PCI Express X16_3 slot bandwidth.

[auto] PCIeX16_3 slot runs at X1 mode for system resources optimization. (PCIeX1_2 will be disabled)
[X4 mode] PCIeX16_3 slot runs at x4 mode for high performance support. (USB3_34,eSATA ports, PCIeX1_1, PCIeX1_2 will be disabled)
[X1 mode] PCIeX16_3 slot runs at X1 mode with all slots enabled. (USB3_34 will be disabled.)

So in a nutshell this HAS to be set to Auto, otherwise the USB3_34 which is the USB3 port on the motherboard wont work and in turn anything connected to it. It also (I believe. If am wrong please correct me) means that this motherboard can not have that USB3_34 port used at the same time as a SLI configuration.

It is set to auto. Still doesn't work.
m
l
Related resources
February 29, 2012 4:11:38 AM

rickgabriel said:
It is set to auto. Still doesn't work.

Is USB3 enabled in Bios Advanced settings?

Do you have the USB3 to USB2 cable adapter? If so connect it and hook up to usb2 header on motherboard and see if it works via USB2.

This will determine if the actual cables or front usb ports work at all.
m
l
March 2, 2012 5:30:41 PM

for_the_buzz said:
Is USB3 enabled in Bios Advanced settings?

Do you have the USB3 to USB2 cable adapter? If so connect it and hook up to usb2 header on motherboard and see if it works via USB2.

This will determine if the actual cables or front usb ports work at all.

It is enabled in the BIOS.

I don't have a USB2 cable adapter, but I do have an add-on USB3 hub that I connected and that didn't work either so that rules out my case's USB3 header being the problem.
m
l
March 2, 2012 5:55:44 PM

Also I turned disabled Marvell Storage Controller which also Disables Oprom and also disabled JMB storage Controller.

Hope this helps
m
l
March 2, 2012 9:15:28 PM

Just called Asus - They gave me an RMA for the motherbaord.

Guess I'll update when I get the new one.
m
l
March 2, 2012 11:46:24 PM

Ok well all the above settings and info are all I can think of other then it being faulty so best of luck with new one and hope you have no more issues.
m
l
June 25, 2012 10:30:00 PM

How did you get on? I have this motherboard and have never got the front panel working. I thought it was the case until someone suggested it was the motherboard. Someone else suggested it was a power issue.

I have struggled to get thumb drives working even in the back ports and blew one portable hard drive when I plugged it it (though that may be the drive).

Im thinking of replacing the motherboard.

m
l
August 30, 2012 4:51:14 PM

rickgabriel said:
Just called Asus - They gave me an RMA for the motherbaord.

Guess I'll update when I get the new one.

Hi,

I was wondering if you got your ASUS RMA, and if its front panel USB 3.0 are working now?

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard and have the same problem. All the back panel USB 3.0 are working, but the front panel USB 3.0 is not working. However, when I connect front panel USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 headers on MoBo (my case is Shinobi and its front panel USB 3.0 has both 20 pin and 9 pin cables for both USB 3.0 & USB 2.0), they work. So, i think that rules out the defective USB 3.0 ports on the case.

To be more specific, front panel USB 3.0, when connected to 20 pin header on motherboard, do not recognize my external hard drive, ipod, and canon camera. However, oddly enough, my coolermaster quickfire keyboard works when connected to front panel USB 3.0 ports, however windows reports the device was not recognized and the driver failed to install!

And here is a picture of 30 pin and 9 pin cables to front panel USB 3.0 ports for Shinobi case:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofiversion/index.php?t4...

Also, I should mention that I have the latest Intel & Asmedia drivers installed, and everything in Bios including USB 3.0 legacy option is enabled.

I have exchanged several emailes with ASUS technical support, but it seems they even do not know what I am talking about!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
m
l
!