Sign in with
Your question

Mini fridge case? bad environment

Last response: in Components
June 21, 2011 1:13:06 PM

Ive read some of the threads stating the issues on this idea but im wondering if my application might be different.

The PC will be used to run a surveillance program for a feed mill. the only location will be a VERYdusty and hot building built about million years ago. the only thing i have going for me is power and Ethernet.
I plan on placing the PC in a mini fridge, wiring the PSU to the fridge ( or put them on one surge protector) so if the fridge looses power the pc doesn't cook its self. running keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc out of a hole and sealing with "great stuff" foam. there will be no little reason for me to ever open the fridge as i will be remote.
Doable or does anyone have another solution that wont put me over budget.
a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 1:23:08 PM

After initial setup, loose the mouse and keyboard and as you say use remote desktop.

When you say surveillance, are talking about cameras, if so why have a pc, just use a bunch of wireless network cameras and have the pc in the office.
June 21, 2011 1:28:48 PM

das_stig said:
After initial setup, loose the mouse and keyboard and as you say use remote desktop.

When you say surveillance, are talking about cameras, if so why have a pc, just use a bunch of wireless network cameras and have the pc in the office.

Good point on the mouse/keyboard, but the manager is a muggle and i would like him to just be able to look at the monitor without involving any extra steps.
the cameras will be about 300+ feet from the PC, and the PC will be in a stone building. wifi would not be the best choice or cost effective in my application
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 1:34:20 PM

Fridges are notorious for putting spikes on the power line. Putting a PC on the same power circuit as a fridge is not ideal.

Depends how much PC you need - you might be able to work on something that requires minimal ventilation. Perhaps water-cool the CPU and run the water pipes out? Rather than putting it in a fridge, maybe just a closed box? Perhaps use an SSD and one of those Pico power supplies that run off a laptop brick? Ideally, make a PC with no moving parts inside the case, hence nothing to get dusty.
June 21, 2011 1:49:22 PM

compulsivebuilder said:
Fridges are notorious for putting spikes on the power line. Putting a PC on the same power circuit as a fridge is not ideal.

Depends how much PC you need - you might be able to work on something that requires minimal ventilation. Perhaps water-cool the CPU and run the water pipes out? Rather than putting it in a fridge, maybe just a closed box? Perhaps use an SSD and one of those Pico power supplies that run off a laptop brick? Ideally, make a PC with no moving parts inside the case, hence nothing to get dusty.

I looked up the pico, looks like the biggest is a 150 and the system suggests a 300. might not work : /
also a SSD would be waaay to pricey for the size i would need to store media.

I wish your suggestion would work but i dont see it happening, i prefer not to have the PC see the light of day, everything ther is covered in feed dust, fertilizer, rat poo, etc.
!