Mini fridge case? bad environment

Ive read some of the threads stating the issues on this idea but im wondering if my application might be different.

The PC will be used to run a surveillance program for a feed mill. the only location will be a VERYdusty and hot building built about million years ago. the only thing i have going for me is power and Ethernet.
I plan on placing the PC in a mini fridge, wiring the PSU to the fridge ( or put them on one surge protector) so if the fridge looses power the pc doesn't cook its self. running keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc out of a hole and sealing with "great stuff" foam. there will be no little reason for me to ever open the fridge as i will be remote.
Doable or does anyone have another solution that wont put me over budget.
4 answers Last reply
More about mini fridge case environment
  1. After initial setup, loose the mouse and keyboard and as you say use remote desktop.

When you say surveillance, are talking about cameras, if so why have a pc, just use a bunch of wireless network cameras and have the pc in the office.
  2. das_stig said:
    After initial setup, loose the mouse and keyboard and as you say use remote desktop.

When you say surveillance, are talking about cameras, if so why have a pc, just use a bunch of wireless network cameras and have the pc in the office.

Good point on the mouse/keyboard, but the manager is a muggle and i would like him to just be able to look at the monitor without involving any extra steps.
    the cameras will be about 300+ feet from the PC, and the PC will be in a stone building. wifi would not be the best choice or cost effective in my application
  3. Fridges are notorious for putting spikes on the power line. Putting a PC on the same power circuit as a fridge is not ideal.

Depends how much PC you need - you might be able to work on something that requires minimal ventilation. Perhaps water-cool the CPU and run the water pipes out? Rather than putting it in a fridge, maybe just a closed box? Perhaps use an SSD and one of those Pico power supplies that run off a laptop brick? Ideally, make a PC with no moving parts inside the case, hence nothing to get dusty.
  4. compulsivebuilder said:
    Fridges are notorious for putting spikes on the power line. Putting a PC on the same power circuit as a fridge is not ideal.

Depends how much PC you need - you might be able to work on something that requires minimal ventilation. Perhaps water-cool the CPU and run the water pipes out? Rather than putting it in a fridge, maybe just a closed box? Perhaps use an SSD and one of those Pico power supplies that run off a laptop brick? Ideally, make a PC with no moving parts inside the case, hence nothing to get dusty.

I looked up the pico, looks like the biggest is a 150 and the system suggests a 300. might not work : /
    also a SSD would be waaay to pricey for the size i would need to store media.

I wish your suggestion would work but i dont see it happening, i prefer not to have the PC see the light of day, everything ther is covered in feed dust, fertilizer, rat poo, etc.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product