Will windows 7 64 bit upgrade work on windows 7 32 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny1011

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I currently Have windows 7 32 bit installed on my computer and was wondering if i could save money by buying the upgrade version of windows 7 64 bit or do i have to buy the whole thing?

Solution

Actually, you can save more by just borrowing any windows 7 64 bit dvd and doing a clean install with it. Activate, using your current 32 bit product code.

There is some value in having a 64 bit dvd for recovery purposes, so if you think you need to buy another copy, by all means get the upgrade package. It will include both 32 and 64 bit dvd's. If you have two pc's you want to upgrade, there is a family pack that includes both dvd's and a activation code good for three pc's. A deal at about $135.

A plus with the upgrade packages is...

Actually, you can save more by just borrowing any windows 7 64 bit dvd and doing a clean install with it. Activate, using your current 32 bit product code.

There is some value in having a 64 bit dvd for recovery purposes, so if you think you need to buy another copy, by all means get the upgrade package. It will include both 32 and 64 bit dvd's. If you have two pc's you want to upgrade, there is a family pack that includes both dvd's and a activation code good for three pc's. A deal at about $135.

A plus with the upgrade packages is that they are considered retail which gives you ms support and the ability to transfer the license to another pc.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.