Quad Channel vs dual??

Status
Not open for further replies.

treyvon

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
i was going to buy an ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3, but it says it only supports dual channel memory? why are there 4 dim slots then? i was planning on pairing it up with about 16gbs of 2133 ram, but the only memory i can find to fit that is quad channel? would something bad happen if i just shoved lets say a 16gb quad channel kit of ripjaws into my mobo?

Solution
Quad channel memory will work - so will 2 sets of dual channel memory. If you get the quad channel memory (4x4G)- it will be working dual channel (2x(2x4G))just not as fast as having an x79 mobo and quad channel memory.
-Bruce
Quad channel memory will work - so will 2 sets of dual channel memory. If you get the quad channel memory (4x4G)- it will be working dual channel (2x(2x4G))just not as fast as having an x79 mobo and quad channel memory.
-Bruce

Solution

h3sham

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
they will work perfectly but in dual channel mode ,the point of the kit is selling matching rams voltage wise and clock wise in case you plan on using quad channel if your board doesnt support quad channel they will work on dual mode

Status
Not open for further replies.