CM Silent M 600W or Silent Gold 600W or OCZ Z 550W or

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I was looking for a power efficient PSU for my new rig (mainly web development or software programing work). Perhaps some gaming once in a while when there are games I like. So not really looking for Dual GPU etc.

I actually was looking at the Cooler Master GX Series but heard it will fail after 6 months, duno how true was that. So I was looking at

- CM Silent M 600W
- CM Silent Gold 600W (~dbl price of above)
- OCZ Z 550W (Cheapest)
- Corsair HX650W (Modular, better air flow?)

Or do you recommend something else? Will I even see any significant power savings between the PSU? Or between say 80+ bronze/silver/gold stuff?

Solution
^true but I don't see the need to spend 169 here. I personally would grab the cheapest Seasonic model available and be done with it.
Ocz 550 certified 80+

cm 600wsilent pro gold (Eff : 90
,46 at 100% and 92 at 50% load ) 5years warranty : www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/cooler-master-silent-pro-gold-600w-power-supply-review/4/

Corsair Hx 650 80+bronze (Eff : 83 at 100% and 86 at 50% load ) but warranty 7 years
www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/891/pg4/corsair-hx650w-power-supply-corsair-hx650w-testing.html

If you choose effisiency get coler master silent pro gold 600w.

D

Deleted member 362816

If you want the power that it says then go with corsair or a major brand, Coolmaster is known to make bad psu's.

The Silent Pro M line is one of Cooler Master's good line of power supplies. There are no quality or performance issues with those.

The Silent Pro Gold line is good because of the high efficiency, in spec voltage regulation, however mutilple reviews that I remember reading showed issues with ripple and noise suppression - which were either at spec on the 12V rail or out of spec on the 12V rail - which is why I wouldn't buy one or recommend one (except the 1200W version which I haven't seen these problems for - in fact I have seen the opposite).

Lepa G700-MA 700W 80Plus Gold Modular $100 ($6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194084
Based on the Enermax Modu87+ 700W.
The 500W version was tested at SPCR and it was one of the quietest fan cooled units they have tested so far.
The model numbers of the fan in the 500W and 700W version are exactly the same: EA142512W-OAB
So I would seriously consider this as well.

If you are willing to spend $125 then surely this in unrivalled:
Seasonic X-560 80Plus Gold Fully Modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151098

There's a reason why it's cheaper.

The OCZ Z Series Silver 550W has been discontinued. It is an EOL (End Of Life) product.

The packaging and the label may say it's a 550 Watt power supply unit but in reality the power supply is only able to produce 456 Watts at full load. Also missing is a MOV in its filtering stage. A MOV is essential for cutting spikes coming from the power grid. Yet the Z Series Silver is suppose to be one of OCZ's next to highest end series and they pull this kind of crap.

This is just another example of OCZ's deceptive marketing practices targeted at the clueless and ignorant.

D

Deleted member 362816

Its better then some other cheaper choices. ;)

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

I might add a GPU if I find the GPU performance really bad. It probably will be something low-mid end tho. What wattage will be save to get?

Also I dont see Antec at the local store I thought of buying from

teaJc.png

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Thanks I am now considering between S12II 520W (Non Modular) vs M12II 520W (Modular). Modular is just a few $$ more expensive but it has abit lousier reviews at newegg than the non modular 1. Also some says Non modular can be better than Modular at times. Thoughts? I will definately not need 620W. Am thinking with modular, I can cut down cable clutter quite abit

You're using Newegg to get reviews? You should only use those reviews to get an idea of what the defect/failure rate is. Most of those Newegg reviews are done by technically incompetent users.

Read the technical reviews done by reputable test review sites that actually do a full test of the power supply and also do a tear-down to determine the power supply's design and quality.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Thanks. I just thought it was convinent ... Also I get a general idea of what are some users thoughts.