Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Changing my gtx260 to...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Core
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 17, 2011 8:46:13 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking about changing my gtx260 core-216 to a bit newer card. I'm considering gtx460, 5850 or 6850. Is there a point in changing my card to one of these or should I wait for gtx560 ?


More about : changing gtx260

January 17, 2011 9:25:35 AM

wait for the gtx 560 , heard that it performs 10 - 20% faster than 460
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2011 10:01:26 AM

What is your budget and your full system config?
Related resources
January 17, 2011 10:18:42 AM

Budget is 250$ (300 absolutely max)

My rig:

Chieftec 450W
Q6600 @2,9Ghz
3Gb Ram DDR2 800
Abit IP35-E

I'm wondering if my PSU will be enough. Now I have problems with OC'ing CPU higher than stable 3,1Ghz and after many, many hours of testing I've found out it has to be PSU.
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2011 10:29:56 AM

That is not a good PSU. You would have to overclock the CPU to get the most out of what you are buying. It has an efficiency of lower than 80%.

The HD6870 should do just fine. Couple it with a nice PSU though.
January 17, 2011 1:27:52 PM

Well, to be honest i've decided that I want nvidia. I've always had it and... well I think I'll stick to nvidia :p 

I'm considering EVGA GTX460 768MB 192bit Superclocked or some 1gb version. I think I'll wait for gtx560 release anyway but from what I've heard it can cost even 300$ and I don't have that much to spend. So what do you suggest?

@hell_storm2004 - yeah I know I need to buy a better psu.
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2011 1:57:09 PM

Since you are thinking about the nVidia one.. I would say its better to wait for the GTX560. I expected to release on January 20. Although they are rumors. Prices i am not sure how much it will be. But wait and check it out.
January 27, 2011 2:03:06 PM

Hi again!

Well we're a few days after GTX560ti release and I still have some doubts. I want to buy 560ti but the price here (in poland) is just too big. Now I have an offer:

Gigabyte GTX470 for 800zł (~275$)
or
GTX560 for 960zł (~330$)

Which one would you choose?
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 27, 2011 2:15:20 PM

rogigor said:
Well, to be honest i've decided that I want nvidia. I've always had it and... well I think I'll stick to nvidia :p 

I'm considering EVGA GTX460 768MB 192bit Superclocked or some 1gb version. I think I'll wait for gtx560 release anyway but from what I've heard it can cost even 300$ and I don't have that much to spend. So what do you suggest?

@hell_storm2004 - yeah I know I need to buy a better psu.


Don't go from a gtx 260 to a gtx 460 768mb. There is not a big enough improvement for the cost. Unless having DX11 is really important to you.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/images...

Notice that the GTX 260 is at 49% compared to the GTX 460 768M's 55%.

I'd aim higher for an upgrade. At least a 560 or higher. If it's not in your budget, save up some more. The 460 768mb will not give you the boost you want.
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 27, 2011 2:16:13 PM

rogigor said:
Hi again!

Well we're a few days after GTX560ti release and I still have some doubts. I want to buy 560ti but the price here (in poland) is just too big. Now I have an offer:

Gigabyte GTX470 for 800zł (~275$)
or
GTX560 for 960zł (~330$)

Which one would you choose?


I'd get the 560. I've used the 470 and it's annoyingly loud.
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2011 2:18:55 PM

i'd take a 560 over a 470 but thats cause the gf100's were hot and inefficient ... but its up to you

if you have good ventilation on your case then a 470 would be fine but still drink more power and put off much more heat (i know its not much and onyl comes out to a little money... but i'm mostly thinking of th heat produced )
January 27, 2011 8:52:35 PM

Yeah, I think I'll go with gtx560. Thx guys
!