Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with new CPU

Last response: in CPUs
June 21, 2011 4:06:33 PM

Hi all,
I'm a long-time lurker but first time poster. I'm hoping to get a bit of advice on an upgrade problem.

I built a system a few years ago using the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition mobo as a base.

I decided to upgrade the system and did some searching on Tom's Hardware and elsewhere. I found out that AMD is making their new CPUs backward compatible with AM2 mobos, so I looked into the Phenom II x4 line.

I liked the price of the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor so I googled the two together and found this topic that seemed to indicate that this CPU would work with my old mobo.

I also purchased a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

and a new video card: SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

This morning I installed the new components. The installation went smoothly and I tidied up the cables. I don't think I failed to reconnect any of the power cables.

I plugged everything back in, powered on the system and crossed my fingers. The fans and lights all start up but I get no beep and no output to the monitor. The HDD light is active for 10 seconds or so and then it's just fans running and a blinking monitor light.

I powered down and reseated all the power cables. No joy.

I replaced the brand new video card with my old one. No joy.

Where do I go next? Any chance I flubbed the CPU install and smeared the thermal paste?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

More about : problem cpu

a c 900 à CPUs
June 21, 2011 4:48:29 PM

Well looking at the CPU support list (your link) the highest supported Phenom II is X4 945 with a tdp of 95watts on a beta BIOS. The question is did you upgrade the BIOS?
Even then it is not guarantied to work since it is not on the support list.
m
l
June 21, 2011 5:13:08 PM

I did not upgrade the bios prior to this install.

I do realize that the CPU is not on the support list but I found some references that said it would work anyway, so I went for it.

Looking more deeply this morning, I found that people on Overclockers had managed to get the Phenom II X4 965 (125 W) to work on this mobo, but it looks like it's not trivial to get it running.

I'm starting to think I may have to do what I was hoping to avoid and get a new mobo.

Any suggestions on the right mobo for this CPU and the single Radeon HD6870 vid card?

Also, assuming I get a new AM3 mobo and DDR3 1600 RAM, how does two sticks of (CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)) sound?
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2011 6:15:22 PM

Is your monitor plugged into your motherboard or graphics card? Try both.
m
l
June 21, 2011 6:41:44 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
Is your monitor plugged into your motherboard or graphics card? Try both.

My mobo seems to have an old-style monitor jack but the only monitor I have right now is a DVI and I don't have an adaptor.

I already swapped out the new GPU for the old one and still nothing. Does that rule out the new GPU as the problem point?

My guess is that there is some trick to getting the CPU to cold boot in this mobo and I don't know what it is.
m
l

Best solution

a c 900 à CPUs
June 21, 2011 6:46:43 PM

At minimum to get the new CPU to boot on the board you will have to do a BIOS upgrade (with your old CPU installed) to a BIOS that supports the other Phenom II X4 CPU's.
June 21, 2011 6:49:20 PM

rolli59 said:
At minimum to get the new CPU to boot on the board you will have to do a BIOS upgrade (with your old CPU installed) to a BIOS that supports the other Phenom II X4 CPU's.

Hmm, a trip to the store to get some heat sink compound would be cheaper than getting a new mobo. I think I'll try that first. Thanks for your help.
m
l
June 21, 2011 6:50:53 PM

I'm concerned that your motherboard is sending the video to its onboard GPU and not to the dedicated graphics card. There is a BIOS setting for this which you won't be able to change unless, obviously, you can see the POST info and BIOS and all that. Can you borrow an adapter?

Obviously, the problem also could be your processor. :( 

m
l
a c 900 à CPUs
June 21, 2011 6:57:25 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
I'm concerned that your motherboard is sending the video to its onboard GPU and not to the dedicated graphics card. There is a BIOS setting for this which you won't be able to change unless, obviously, you can see the POST info and BIOS and all that. Can you borrow an adapter?

Obviously, the problem also could be your processor. :( 

His board does not have onboard video http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2N32SLI_Delux...
m
l
June 23, 2011 2:48:16 PM

rolli59 said:

All right. I swapped the old CPU back in, updated the bios to 5002 and put the new one back in. It booted and I got the OS installed. Sadly, I've got some issues that I think are going to lead to get a new mobo anyway.

1. My USB keyboard doesn't work. It's a gaming keyboard, so I don't really want to use the crappy old HP keyboard I've got.
2. As was noted on Overclockers and elsewhere, my four cores are stuck at a 4x multiplier, running at 800 Mhz instead of 3.4 Ghz. I've followed the instructions to use the Nvidia control panel and the bios to change the multiplier and save it to a profile but it doesn't work. Sadness.
3. Twice now I've left the PC on and left for a few hours, only to find it shut down when I return. The first time I coldboot after these shutdowns, it will not successfully boot. A second try works with no problem.

1 and 3 above are nuisance but #2 is not acceptable. Any other advice before I suck it up and get a new mobo?

m
l
July 5, 2011 3:41:33 PM

Best answer selected by Semerkhet.
m
l
!