Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for answers on AMD vs Intel

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2011 9:10:41 PM

Ok folks , just got on the site to ask this question or questions..

Right now I have the following

Core 2 Dual E8400 3.0Ghz
P5N-E-SLI ASUS MOTHERBOARD

EVGA GTS-450 video card

3.0 SATA Drive 250 GB.

I want to build a new system but I was looking at keeping the GTS 450 card and getting another one to run duals, is that a waste of money?

Should I buy a 500 series instead?

I play only one game " World of Warcraft" , and just surf the net.

I thought about buying a new chip ( quad core ) and putting it on this board I have but the chips are almost the price of an AMD 6 core , and getting another board and memory cost another 300 bucks to make the AMD work.... is it worth i?

OR , should I just throw this system away and tell my kids to study harder because I am raiding their college money for a gaming machine..

My first up grade was going to be a SSD drive for the Core 2 dual machine this week to see what that does vs my old hard drive.

Any comments are welcome, and so are questions.

I have been on thsi site for years just never did post or register

thanks

Rob

More about : answers amd intel

a b B Homebuilt system
March 21, 2011 10:11:14 PM

Welcome to the forums.

The NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI chipset on the ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard doesn't have a SATA AHCI controller so TRIM cannot be triggered even if the SSD drive itself supports TRIM. Without TRIM support you will start to notice a loss of SSD performance over time.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 21, 2011 10:39:36 PM

In regards to your proposed upgrade, most folks would recommend an upgrade to Sandy Bridge I reckon. The hexacores are great for multitasking and photo/video/ editing. For gaming with WOW, I understand the updates have been optimized for quad cores.
As for upgrading your platform to AMD right now, I wouldn't recommend that and I am an AMD user. There is a new platform coming in June which will render everything from AMD obsolete, or no upgrade path. It would not be worth it to go that route currently.

So you could either upgrade to Sandy bridge when you have the opportunity, or wait a few months. My guess is your not really ready for a full platform upgrade. I recommend right now you drop in a quad core, I don't think a second card would be very cost effective.
I see a Q8300 goes for $150 on newegg and the Q8500 is about 20 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2011 10:45:16 PM

Get a good heatsink and oc your 8400 to 4 or4.2 ghz.
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:12:49 AM

rbd96976 said:

Core 2 Dual E8400 3.0Ghz

EVGA GTS-450 video card

3.0 SATA Drive 250 GB.

I want to build a new system but I was looking at keeping the GTS 450 card and getting another one to run duals, is that a waste of money?

I thought about buying a new chip ( quad core ) and putting it on this board I have but the chips are almost the price of an AMD 6 core , and getting another board and memory cost another 300 bucks to make the AMD work.... is it worth i?

OR , should I just throw this system away and tell my kids to study harder because I am raiding their college money for a gaming machine..

My first up grade was going to be a SSD drive for the Core 2 dual machine this week to see what that does vs my old hard drive.

thanks

Rob

Also running Win 7 64 Bit
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:13:50 AM

christop said:
Get a good heatsink and oc your 8400 to 4 or4.2 ghz.

How do you do that , was in the Bios and couldnt see where to change the multiplier, it wouldnt let me select it
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:16:33 AM

buzznut said:
In regards to your proposed upgrade, most folks would recommend an upgrade to Sandy Bridge I reckon. The hexacores are great for multitasking and photo/video/ editing. For gaming with WOW, I understand the updates have been optimized for quad cores.
As for upgrading your platform to AMD right now, I wouldn't recommend that and I am an AMD user. There is a new platform coming in June which will render everything from AMD obsolete, or no upgrade path. It would not be worth it to go that route currently.

So you could either upgrade to Sandy bridge when you have the opportunity, or wait a few months. My guess is your not really ready for a full platform upgrade. I recommend right now you drop in a quad core, I don't think a second card would be very cost effective.

I could do a platform up grade , but still on the fence about the proformance gains.

I looked at a SSD for this system today , but havent found one I like yet in my budget ( 250.00)

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2011 5:02:59 AM

rbd96976 said:
How do you do that , was in the Bios and couldnt see where to change the multiplier, it wouldnt let me select it

An Intel Core2 Duo E8400 has a locked maximum multiplier of 9. You can't go any higher than that but you can lower it.

To overclock that processor you need to increase the FSB (QDR) speed above 1333 MHz.
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:35:31 PM

buzznut said:

Whats better 1156 or 1366 socket?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2011 3:35:04 PM

1155 is the best for gaming right now. Skip on the 1156 because 1155 will run you the same price.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2011 5:28:44 PM

rbd96976 said:

Core 2 Dual E8400 3.0Ghz

EVGA GTS-450 video card

3.0 SATA Drive 250 GB.

thanks

Rob

If you're only playing "World of Warcraft" then the second graphics card would probably be a waste of money. You should be able to get at least 40 to 60 fps with that card on ultra graphics settings. Save the money on the second graphics card and use it to get a better MOBO and CPU.

If you're going to upgrade the CPU and MOBO with an AMD setup, I would suggest waiting for the new AMD "Bulldozer" realease. It may not be fully compatible with current processors and the new CPU's certainly won't be compatible with current motherboards.
m
l

Best solution

March 22, 2011 9:13:13 PM

I do not mean to rain on your parade, but you do not really need a new pc for what you use it for. All the componets that you have are fine for what you do.

If you are still going to build a new one the mother board will not work unless you get another socket 775 cpu and put that in there. You just can not slap a cpu into any old mother board it just does not work like that. The video card you have is fine no need to go sli.

I really think that there is no point for you to upgrade. If you want a proformance upgrade get a good cpu cooler and over clock the core 2 duo and buy a ssd and put windows on that. I would not reccomend blowing money on a new system when the one you have is just fine.
March 25, 2011 11:04:13 PM

Best answer selected by rbd96976.
m
l
!