New PSU and GFX card, now computer won't boot

mac3

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
So I just bought and received a new PSU and Graphics card today.

Computer specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220026&Tpk=cm%205570

New PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

New Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133310

Long story short, after I have the new components in, my computer will not boot. The PSU and CPU fans will run continuously at full speed, I hear the hard drive spinning, but I do not get a video feed from the new card or the on-board graphics. I have tried to start the computer without the GFX card + new PSU and still no luck. So I put my old PSU in with no GFX card (I did not have a GFX card before today) and I still have the same problem! I am 98% sure that I did not shock, break, hit or loosen any parts of my computer while I was messing around in there.

I have tried looking around for solutions and I get everything from a bad mobo -- computer was working fine until I opened it -- to doing a beep test with the RAM (which I tried, no beeps). Any have some suggestions? Thanks!

Solution
The good news is there arent too many options to work thru here - the bad news is the options become bad very quick.

Either something is not connected properly, configured properly or (since you tried the old PSU) the motherboard has died.

Go back to the old PSU and on-board graphics and look for the reset or maintenance jumper. Try to start up in Recovery mode. I have seen motherboards not start if something is not configured properly (but you usually get a beep code at least). If it starts up then you are on your way.

Lets assume that doesnt help. You have to re-check all of the power connections and anything you *might* have even touched. Are you sure you arent forgetting one power connection? This is a very basic level of...

mac3

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I have the 4 pin connected (I assume you mean the 2x2 plug near the CPU). I currently have the mobo power (20-pin + 4-pin), 4-pin cpu, and sata power for the hard drive connected. All connections are fully inserted.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
The good news is there arent too many options to work thru here - the bad news is the options become bad very quick.

Either something is not connected properly, configured properly or (since you tried the old PSU) the motherboard has died.

Go back to the old PSU and on-board graphics and look for the reset or maintenance jumper. Try to start up in Recovery mode. I have seen motherboards not start if something is not configured properly (but you usually get a beep code at least). If it starts up then you are on your way.

Lets assume that doesnt help. You have to re-check all of the power connections and anything you *might* have even touched. Are you sure you arent forgetting one power connection? This is a very basic level of functionality - now either power is missing or something is broken.

Sounds like the +12 is working if the fans are working. Put your hand on the drives - you will know if they are spinning.
Are the connectors all the way down? Look closely - some need extra pressure to seat. IS a pin not allowing it to seat?

good Luck

Solution

mac3

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
The hard drive is spinning up. With both PSUs, the power light (SB_PWR) on the mobo lights up. I only remember unplugging three things with the old PSU: mobo power, 4-pin CPU plug, and sata power to DVD-RW and hard drive. I just powered up with the old PSU and same issue. I do not see where the reset jumper is. I'm assuming the mobo is fried. How does that happen? Are mobo's just a finnicky thing?

mac3

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

The PSU and CPU fans turn on, the fans spin to full speed and stay that way until I remove power, and my hard drives spin up. The power light on my mobo is 'on' as well. I cannot get any video (using the on-board graphics, gfx card is disconnected).

In the bios, you will have to indicate which graphics controller should be used for boot displays. I suspect it is still using the default integrated adapter. Connect your monitor to the integrated graphics port, and then you should be able to get into the bios and direct the boot messages to your new graphics card which will be in a pci-e slot.

mac3

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

I am trying to find these jumpers but nothing seems to jump out at me. Any tips? It is an Asus P5QL-VM EPU mobo.

mac3

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

I am connected to the integrated graphics right now, with no video being shown. I have taken out the new card until I can troubleshoot this. I don't know a whole lot about the technical hardware side of computer, but it feels like there is something fundamentally wrong with my system.

mac3

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Well after reading all of this and doing my own research/testing, I think my mobo somehow got messed up while I was playing around...Sigh.

G

wait you said you only plugged in power to the mobo, additional cpu power plug, and the sata drive(s).... did you plug in the 6 pin power connector to the new video card? sorry it's late and i'm tired but i heard no mention of this being done nor any one else asking if you had done that yet also. that will cause the problem you are having, that and a dead video card. a dead video card will usually give you a beep code tho, and a friend of mine had a similar problem with his new gtx 285 recently and it gave no beeping at all at which puzzled us both until we called the place he bought it from. good choice on the power supply it has ample amps for that particular video card :)

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
u called me? :)

I was thinking same thing.

Beyond that, back to basics - check all connections - rule of thumb #1.

You said you didn't touch anything - wrong -

you touched a ton of stuff - and you accidentally touched even more. And you flex twisted the case. and now you have to push on the mobo to check ram seating, vid card seating, and everything else as well.

and if you static'd it or shocked it with your polyester clothing, who knows.

basics = check all connectors - in and out - then - launch the rocket - if no go - strip it down to basic config w cpu, 1 stick ram, video, narrow the possibilities

still no go - walk away for a day

check connex again

then start to panic.