Will my Motherboard Support SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I am buying this mobo this weekend http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41TM_LX/

Will it support an SSD if i buy one in the next few months?

I currently have a 640GB Normal Hard Drive by western digital. Can i use the SSD as my C: and my current hdd as d:

Delarth

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The only thing that an SSD requires is a SATA port pretty much which every board on the market has. The thing to look out for in order to maximize the SSD's potential is the SATA port revision. More SSDs are moving to SATA 3.0 and while it is backwards compatible you won't fully be able to utilize the drives read and write speeds so its kind of like having a fast sports car and only being able to drive it at 60% of its top speed.

As far as the board itself, as was mentioned above, its probably a good idea to get something a little more in date.

I am running a SATA3 SSD on my wife's PC that is very old (core2duo LGA775, and SATA2), and it works perfectly fine. Granted I am not getting the performance out of it that I could have if it was plugged into my own rig, or if her mobo supported AHCI/RAID, etc. But it is still very fast, and breathed new life into the system.

Keep in mind that the board you are picking is rather old, and will not support new/modern processors. If the computer is for a home office, or web browsing and movie watching then it will work fine, but this is not for gaming, multitasking, or any kind of video editing/3d modeling/etc. Do not pay more than $30 for such old equipment, even if it is 'new' and in the box it is still 3-5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.