Sign in with
Your question

Looking for advice on building a 'Let's Play' rig

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2011 10:40:40 PM

I've recently gotten into watching let's plays, and would really like to start recording my own. I've looked pretty deeply into the software side of recording gameplay, and I don't think that is my problem. So I am looking at buying a new rig that can handle running things like Deadspace2 in HD at the top graphic settings with no slow down at all.

Any advice that would point me toward what kind of stuff I would need for this would really help. I'm not sure if I need to go heavy on ram, cpu, or gpu. Or how much of each I need.

Any help with this would be really appreciated : )
March 21, 2011 10:41:52 PM

Right now I'm not really worried about money either, I'd like to stay around 1000, but I'd be willing to go as high as 2500 if I need to.
m
l
March 22, 2011 9:34:41 AM

Hello Cimber706;

There should be no problem keeping the build closer to the $1000 than $2500.
Even if you expect to have a new monitor included.

If you fill out the form in*How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll answer all the standard questions that help us get started.
m
l
March 22, 2011 6:31:27 PM

whenever you want to record video while playing, the number one bottleneck is the HDD. First you would think get an SSD, but those have high read speeds, not write speeds. I would say: Pick a motherboard that supports SATA6 and get a High speed SATA6 HDD. Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That will reduce the write time to the HDD while recording in game.
m
l
!