New System Running Slow

robbo220

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping someone has run into this problem or has an idea on how to help me out. My system is relatively new as I put it together earlier this year. Ever since then I've run into a problem where the computer will randomly hang for anywhere from 20 seconds to 2 minutes or more. To put it in human terms, its like having an out of shape person run up several flights of stairs. Eventually that person is going to need to stop and catch their breath. My computer runs into problems while loading webpages in multiple tabs on Chrome/Firefox/IE or while using Windows Explorer (trying to load a video, opening a new folder, copying files, etc.) I don't think the problem has anything to do with my internet connection either as I'm running on 6Mb/s broadband service (not the greatest but also not the slowest). Keep in mind though that the computer doesn't shut down or restart or permanently freeze, all it does is pause for up to several minutes randomly.

The system is:
AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 Black 3.2 GHz
MSI 785GT-E63
4 GB of DDR2 RAM
3 Hitachi SATA 3.0GB/S HDD
1 Western Digital SATA 3.0 GB/S HDD
NVIDIA 9800 GTX+ Video Card
Windows XP SP3

I've got the latest drivers installed. I've checked with Ad Aware and Spybot to clear any MalWare. I'm running AVG and haven't come across any viruses. I've defragged all of the hard drives and run chkdsk on all drives. I have at least 15% free on all partitions with almost 75% free on the Windows partition. While testing the CPU I've seen temperatures maxing out at 59* C, idle is around 32* C

While testing this weekend it seemed like I ran into problems every time the computer accessed the hard drives for more than a second or two. I'm at a loss for a solution as to why my computer randomly stops working. Any help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

robbo220

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I was actually a bit concerned that the CPU temps were getting a bit high when being stressed but the fact is I run into the slowness problem even when the CPU is barely breaking a sweat.

I will say that with my previous system I had the 3 hitachi HDD (I transferred them over to the new build when the old computer failed) and they are the drives with the most files on them (I've barley touched the WDC drive) and I never had this problem before.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now (lunch time) but when I get home I'll run HD Tune and see if that uncovers my problem.

Again thank you for the replies and ideas. I do appreciate them.