Dual Core 3.0 Ghz 2MB cache VS Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz 1MB cache ?

Hello,
wish one is better ?
Dual Core 3.0 Ghz 2MB cache or Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz 1MB cache ?
17 answers Last reply
More about dual core cache pentium cache
  1. The Dual core 3.0Ghz with 2MB of cache, which processor are you looking at?
  2. I guess the answer is Pentium D
  3. yummerzzz said:
    The Dual core 3.0Ghz with 2MB of cache, which processor are you looking at?

I guess the answer is Pentium D
  4. No contest whatever the dual core is, it will smack the ass off that P4.
  5. P4 is old news as is pentium D (which is still a p4 with 2 cores). Cant you get something more recent? What are you planning to do with this computer?
  6. iam2thecrowe said:
    P4 is old news as is pentium D (which is still a p4 with 2 cores). Cant you get something more recent? What are you planning to do with this computer?

Yesterday my desktop computer was shutting down automaticaly before booting into windows , so I took it to a repair shop and he told me that my cpu is not working (wish was a pentium D) , and I asked him what's the solution he said that he has a pentium 4 cpu 3.06 Ghz wish is "more powerful than pentium d since it has 0.06 more Ghz" and it is compatible with my board D945GCCR , so I was very confused so I told him that today I will tell him what to do (if i install the p4 or keep the computer unrepaired)

That's why I asked here on this site to get some advice but it seems that my old dead CPU was better :(
  7. Yeah hes trying to palm off an ancient cpu on you, i bet for a tidy cost too?

Forget it and invest in a cheap AMD set up you can get yourself an

AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 250 3.00GHz (Socket AM3) = £40
    Asus M4A78LT-M 760G (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard = £50
    OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit = £30

So all of the above for £120 - $193 - EUR130

The above is cheap and will give you a hell of an advantage over an old Pentium 4.
    Anything else is pure folly.
  8. Well he asked for 60$ ( he said 40$ is the cpu's price , 10$ is the fan's price (lol) ,and 10$ is for the installation)... I found in another shop online a 3.00 GHz - E5700 800MHz/2M Core Duo for $68.00 . I'm not sure if it works on my Motherboard but I will keep searching before calling him.

by the way Uther39 : I live in Lebanon and here everything related to technology is very expensive and when it comes to hardware I think it's the most expensive stuff here (and the worst quality) , even Internet connection here sucks(maximum speed is 2mbps with 10 gb upload/download limit , and you have to pay 100$ or more) so for $193 you maybe can't buy such a computer here :( thanks for replying anyway :)
  9. In the UK the trade price for a complete Pentium 4 3.06GHz computer is £30-35 $45-50
  10. I agree, CPU's rarely fail. He is trying to rip you off.
  11. supra48 said:
    ... I found in another shop online a 3.00 GHz - E5700 800MHz/2M Core Duo for $68.00 . I'm not sure if it works on my Motherboard but I will keep searching before calling him.

According to Intel's specs, the D945GCCR motherboard does support Core 2 Duo CPUs, but does not go into further details.

I suspect it can only support the first generation of Core 2 Duo called "Conroe" and is manufactured using the 65nm die process. "Allendale" CPUs should also be supported and are 65nm as well; consider them to be value oriented Core 2 Duo CPUs. "Conroe" CPUs are the E6xxx series, while "Allendale" are the E4xxx series.

The 2nd generation of Core 2 Duo CPUs are called "Wolfdale" and are manufactured using the 45nm die process. I am afraid that your motherboard will most likely not support these newer CPUs. "Wolfdale" CPUs are:

Pentium E5xxx and E6xxx
    Core 2 Duo E7xxx, and E8xxx

Therefore, while the E5700 can be inserted into the mobo's socket, it probably will not be recognized. You need to search for a Core 2 Duo E4xxx or E6xxx CPU in your situation.
  12. I went to the shop and he told me that it was his fault to think that the cpu was the problem , and the real problem was actually the fan and it was not working properly because of electricity problems (as he said) , so he replaced it with a new one (and my last fan replacement was from is shop too , a month ago) and I replaced the fan before replacing it from him 2 monthes ago too , so this makes it 3 times changing the fan in 3 monthes .

What possibly can be the problem ? how can I avoid changing the fan so frequently?
  13. First, switch the shop you go to. Second, what do you mean the fan got broken again? Eider he installs poor quality fans or you have a problem with your motherboard voltage regulators and that might fry the fan, but i never heard of this before.

Buy a fan from an online store and learn how to mount it yourself. If that fan(meaning cooler) fails also then you might have a problem with your motherboard.
  14. I have not heard of even low quality fans breaking, if you think this is the problem I suggest you buy a cooler that has 2 fans and connect one to the motherboard CPU fan connector and 1 direct to the power supply by a molex connector.
  15. I didn't mean it was broken , I meant that it stopped working properly , and yes thanks for the advice I will buy a good fan as soon as I can :)
  16. After getting my pc back home , I turned it on and used it for 3 hours and then shut it down , the next day I turned it on and used it for 2 hours and suddenly the computer turned off (without any warning) . When I turned it on , There was a sound coming from the motherboard like two beeps and then it shutdown before any output on the screen. what do you guys think I should do ?should I talk to the same shop ?or take it to another shop ? this is making me go crazy...
  17. I suggest a new PC as its so old its not worth throwing money at.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Cache Dual Core