Is my usb network adapter dead?

ohnoes

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Hi, currently my pc no longer recognize my linksys wusb54g v4 adapter after i plugged it out. Under device manager it is listed as "Unknown Device" and in properties it show this message "Windows has stopped this
device because it has reported problems (Code 43)."

Tried to reinstall it using different drivers but it won't accept any. Any ideas on how to fix this or should i
just get a new adapter. I'm on window 7 64x home premium btw.

G

Is the USB socket okay with other devices ? Did the wireless adapter work properly before -- bearing in mind Win7 64 drivers can be hard to find ?

ohnoes

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Yup the socket works with other devices just not adapter, already tried the other usb ports but the same result. Been using the adapter for more than a year with no problems, its stopped working when i plugged it out yesterday.

This is embarrassing to mention but yesterday while i was surfing the web, my browser suddenly close with a pop up saying avs has detected suspicious activities. I thought my pc was infected with a virus or something so i plugged out the usb cable connecting to the adapter. Turned out there was nothing wrong after scanning my pc...

G

USB wireless adapters can be subject to overheating failure -- probably simplest to replace it. I would avoid USB if you have the choice.

G

If it's working on another PC then I think I'd check that the driver is correctly installed on yours before you spend any money. Start by uninstalling the device in Device Manager and removing the driver (often done using the install program).

G

Sometimes the most time/cost effective solution is to just buy a new one.

I would avoid USB if you have the choice.