Sony Laptop Windows installation issue

Sean89us

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hello all,

Recently a friend dropped his laptop (Sony VGN-NR120E) and the hard drive stopped working. Everything else works fine. I slapped a different hard drive in there and the BIOS recognizes it and states it's storage capacity (60 GB) and I know for a fact this is a working drive. Tried to install windows 7 on it and everything goes smooth until I get to the screen where it asks which hard drive to install to. Nothing is there. So I went on a search for the appropriate mass storage driver and found it is an Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller. Found a few different drivers, one of them from Sony, and tried to load them. Drivers loaded, still nothing. I've tried many different drivers now and I'm starting to get ticked off. Never in my life have I seen a computer this difficult to install windows on. The OEM recovery disks are not available to me. I have tried the process with Vista as well (default OS) With the same result.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

What is BIOS detecting - If you see selection for ide-compatible, choose that.

Sean89us

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately this is an extremely simple bios. Pretty much nothing to change at all, nothing involving the hard drive.

Sean89us

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Alright apparently the problem was that the hard drive I put in the computer was formatted as a dynamic disk and not basic. Problem is solved now :D