Could my PSU be causing random shutdowns?

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I just built a great system, updated every piece of hardware with the latest possible drivers, got all of the windows updates, and I'm occasionally getting random shutdowns (no bsod, no errors. as if I just unplugged the computer) with a restart automatically following shortly after. My full system specs:

mobo: asrock z68 pro
cpu: i5 2500k (turbo boost limited to 4.2 ghz, idles at 35c, never goes over 90c on load)
gpu: gtx 560 ti (oced very slightly while playing games)
ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
sound card: ASUS XONAR DG 5.1
hdd: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
psu: Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W

Now I'm suspecting it has to do with the PSU (here is what I have if you want to take a closer look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-182-191&SortField=3&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo)

I don't think my cpu is overheating. I've never had a shutdown while playing games yet (I built the system about 3 days ago by the way). It seems that I shutdown at random times. I shutdown twice while screensharing on skype, when I was playing a flash game on the internet, when I was editing some hd footage, browsing the internet, downloading a game on steam, and other random times. Should I return this PSU and get a better one (if the problem is with the PSU)? Thanks. I really feel like I skimped out on the PSU. I regret it.

Solution
There is an inherent problem with the Rosewill 80Plus Green Series RG700-S12. It has ripple suppression on the +12 Volt rail that is out of spec (i.e. above the maximum 120 mV allowed).

The random shutdowns you are having is a symptom of that high ripple.

High ripple will accelerate the degradation of the capacitors on your motherboard's and graphics card's power VRM circuits eventually leading to their failure.

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
All of my temps are normal but I don't know much about the voltages. How can I know if they're abnormal? And no, I do not have an extra PSU. Also, what determines if a PSU is low-end or high-end? I might just have this PSU returned and buy a better one.

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
The shutdowns are pretty rare now. If it bothers me more I guess I'll have it exchanged for a better one. But you guys are sure that the issue is with the PSU and nothing else right? I do not know how nor do I have the tools to test the voltage of the PSU though.

There is an inherent problem with the Rosewill 80Plus Green Series RG700-S12. It has ripple suppression on the +12 Volt rail that is out of spec (i.e. above the maximum 120 mV allowed).

The random shutdowns you are having is a symptom of that high ripple.

High ripple will accelerate the degradation of the capacitors on your motherboard's and graphics card's power VRM circuits eventually leading to their failure.

Solution

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Damn. So you're saying I should replace the PSU ASAP? Thanks for the info.

Does this seem good enough?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-139-005&SortField=1&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

That is the recently discontinued model. Corsair is just clearing out the inventory for that model that is still in the distribution channel.

It's been replaced by the Version 2 model CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply for the same $89.99 price as the old one.

The V2 model has higher efficiency and far lower noise and ripple levels than the old one.

A GeForce GTX 560 Ti has a graphics card power of 170 Watts. This means that the graphics card itself may draw up to 14.2 Amps from the +12 Volt rail.

For a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card system NVIDIA recommends a power supply with 500 Watts or greater with a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 (CMPSU-650TXV2) with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps is way more than enough to power your single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card system with plenty in reserve for overclocking the CPU and GPU and the addition of more peripherals.