Question - Ram Disks - Do they use only OS detected memory?

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I'll make this quick....Again :p

Was looking at SSD drives, when I came across a Wikepedia page that said you can get programs that will partition RAM into a temporary HDD.

Question is, has anyone used software that does this, does it only use OS detected ram as the disk, can it use RAM that is in the motherboard but not detected by the system?(I.E, 32bit OS, but have 8GB of ram. Can you partition 4GB of it as the disk whilst using the other 4GB as RAM?)

Thanks in advance.

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

This sound like virtual memory an SSD is a great substitute for RAM if you don't have the money to buy more. However nothing can fully replace the performance of buying actual RAm for the motherboard. The OS as far as i know will use virtual memory beyond 4GB but you will not get the same performance as if it were a 64-bit OS with 8GB of installed RAM. But the access times of the SSD are great and the speed isn't bad so if you need more RAM wihout the cost of upgrading its a great idea. But factor in the cost of an SSD and the cost of upgrading first, SSDs are still not cheap. Onboard RAM is usually for the BIOs or integrated graphics the computer will not use this RAm for anything other than graphics if you have an installed graphics card this RAM will not be used at all. My motherboard has 512MB onboard graphics memory but it is unusable because i have a grahics card installed and it doesn't support shareing the memory. This also sounds like pageing which is virtual memory windows will put stuff on the drive automaticly to prevent crashs or to dump unused information out of the installed RAM.

Note: I didn't have time to varify anything so bare with me on this.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I believe you mis-understood. You seem to be saying that I am looking to use an SSD as RAM. I'm not wanting to do that XD

I'll re-iterate.

What I'm trying to find out, is if I have more than 4GB (32bit OS limit), will it be possible to partition that un-detected RAM as make-shift, super-duper fast storage?

Sure u can, get RAMDisk here @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_ramdisk/

The windows can't address more than 4GB, but the RAMdisc will see it : ))

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

He said "Storage" wouldn't whatever is in the RAM be lost when he turns off the PC? To my knowledge installed RAM can only store information as long as its powered.

Correct, but there is an setting to save the RAMdisc on exit as an iso on to the HDD, to the location of your choice : )

I like it. The RAM is dirt cheap, so why not, right : )

It will be the fastest SSD u can own : ))