Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASRock P67 Pro3 vs ASRock P67 Extreme4 vs ASUS P8P67 Pro?

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2011 12:30:51 AM

These are three boards I am looking at. I was pretty well set on the Extreme4 but I can't find it anywhere. Found a couple places that said they had it in stock but after I ordered it I got emails saying they were out of stock.

So, I could order both the ASRock P67 Pro3 and the ASUS P8P67 right now as they are in stock at SuperBiiz and Tiger Direct respectively.

How do they compare regardless of price? How do they compare as far as "bang for buck?"

The ASRock Pro3 will cost $150 after tax and shipping, the ASRock Extreme4 will cost about $175 after tax and shipping (if it ever comes back into stock), and the ASUS P8P67 Pro will cost about $210 after tax and shipping.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
March 22, 2011 12:42:31 AM

chmcke01 said:
These are three boards I am looking at. I was pretty well set on the Extreme4 but I can't find it anywhere. Found a couple places that said they had it in stock but after I ordered it I got emails saying they were out of stock.

So, I could order both the ASRock P67 Pro3 and the ASUS P8P67 right now as they are in stock at SuperBiiz and Tiger Direct respectively.

How do they compare regardless of price? How do they compare as far as "bang for buck?"

The ASRock Pro3 will cost $150 after tax and shipping, the ASRock Extreme4 will cost about $175 after tax and shipping (if it ever comes back into stock), and the ASUS P8P67 Pro will cost about $210 after tax and shipping.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

The Asrock Pro3 is a single card board, the other two boards are for a dual card set up (SLI / Crossfire).

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1098/pg2/asrock-e... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080/welcome-to-sandy-bri... <--- Review before the latest bios...and it still smoked the Asus and Gigabyte boards :) 

m
l
March 22, 2011 12:47:47 AM

Why_Me said:
The Asrock Pro3 is a single card board, the other two boards are for a dual card set up (SLI / Crossfire).

How do they compare in build quality, reliability, etc. The number of video cards it supports isn't a big issue for me.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 22, 2011 12:50:50 AM

chmcke01 said:
How do they compare in build quality, reliability, etc. The number of video cards it supports isn't a big issue for me.

All three are good boards. If you plan on going with a single card set up...then the Pro3 is what you would want. For a dual card set up...that asrock extreme4 and asus pro run about dead even. I posted some reviews up above of the extreme4.
March 22, 2011 12:57:18 AM

Why_Me said:
All three are good boards. If you plan on going with a single card set up...then the Pro3 is what you would want. For a dual card set up...that asrock extreme4 and asus pro run about dead even. I posted some reviews up above of the extreme4.

Yeah, I have read them. You posted the links on another forum on here about a week or so ago, thats why I was leaning toward the Extreme4 in the first place. I have one on backorder from SuperBiiz, if one doesn't come into stock before Friday I am probably going to go with one of the other two.
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:09:59 PM

I just read that on another forum that the Extreme4 has been discontinued AGAIN. Is that true? I couldn't find any concrete info on it, just something someone said on a forum today.
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:16:53 PM

Nothing about it on ASRocks website, so hopefully its not true.
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:24:39 PM

chmcke01 said:
I just read that on another forum that the Extreme4 has been discontinued AGAIN. Is that true? I couldn't find any concrete info on it, just something someone said on a forum today.

That's the first Iv'e heard. That board is selling in the UK like hot cakes atm.

http://www.asrock.com/support/forum.asp <---- There's no mention of it either on these forums..and that's the first place they would announce it imo.
m
l
March 22, 2011 1:57:42 PM

I just can't make up my mind. I would much rather have the Extreme4 but the Pro3 is pretty nice too, is cheaper, and is in stock now.
m
l
March 22, 2011 9:01:12 PM

Double good news for me! SuperBiiz contacted me today to say that the Extreme4 is back in stock and will ship either today or tomorrow. Also, today I received my case, processor, RAM, hard drive, and DVD drive. I will order my 212+ and 5770 tomorrow from Amazon (since I have Prime) and pay the $4 extra for next day delivery.

So, hopefully by the weekend I will be able to put it all together!
m
l
March 24, 2011 1:25:47 AM

Well, I wish I knew Newegg was going to get the Extreme4 in stock today, I would have ordered one from Newegg today instead of one from SuperBiiz yesterday. Oh well, hopefully I won't have any problems with it and it won't matter.

One question though, a lot of people have said that ASRock extended the warranties of P67 boards, but the Extreme4 B3 still just shows a 1 year warranty. Is it just 1 year?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 24, 2011 1:29:41 AM

What's the total price shipped on that Superbiiz P67 Extreme4?
m
l
March 24, 2011 1:29:56 AM

chmcke01 said:
Well, I wish I knew Newegg was going to get the Extreme4 in stock today, I would have ordered one from Newegg today instead of one from SuperBiiz yesterday. Oh well, hopefully I won't have any problems with it and it won't matter.

One question though, a lot of people have said that ASRock extended the warranties of P67 boards, but the Extreme4 B3 still just shows a 1 year warranty. Is it just 1 year?

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/201102ex/warranty.htm...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 24, 2011 1:35:55 AM

This is what they're talking about.
m
l
March 24, 2011 1:46:46 AM

Total price shipped and everything from SuperBiiz: $171.53
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 24, 2011 1:51:36 AM

That's $10 less than I'd pay from NewEgg since they get me for $13 in taxes.
m
l
March 24, 2011 1:55:54 AM

Yeah, I just worry about using a lesser known company. I would just assume returns are easier through Newegg.
m
l
March 26, 2011 8:59:10 PM

chmcke01 said:
Double good news for me! SuperBiiz contacted me today to say that the Extreme4 is back in stock and will ship either today or tomorrow. Also, today I received my case, processor, RAM, hard drive, and DVD drive. I will order my 212+ and 5770 tomorrow from Amazon (since I have Prime) and pay the $4 extra for next day delivery.

So, hopefully by the weekend I will be able to put it all together!

I'm in the same boat as you. My board is expected to arrive on Monday and I'm excited to get building especially since I've had all my other components waiting in my room for 1 - 2 weeks! It would be interesting to hear how your build turns out. This'll be my first, so wish me luck. :D 
m
l
March 26, 2011 11:42:14 PM

NOnja said:
I'm in the same boat as you. My board is expected to arrive on Monday and I'm excited to get building especially since I've had all my other components waiting in my room for 1 - 2 weeks! It would be interesting to hear how your build turns out. This'll be my first, so wish me luck. :D 

Yeah mine too. I was originally supposed to get it on Friday but it didn't come and now it says the delivery estimate is Monday. I already have my case and I installed the fans and HDD and DVD drive.

What do you recommend to do with my screws? My case is black but the screws that came with the fans are a chrome color. Any specific type of paint that would work best?
m
l
March 26, 2011 11:47:10 PM

chmcke01 said:
Yeah mine too. I was originally supposed to get it on Friday but it didn't come and now it says the delivery estimate is Monday. I already have my case and I installed the fans and HDD and DVD drive.

What do you recommend to do with my screws? My case is black but the screws that came with the fans are a chrome color. Any specific type of paint that would work best?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=rustoleu...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=rustoleu...
m
l
March 27, 2011 1:40:41 AM

chmcke01 said:
OK thanks, I am 95% sure my Wal-mart sells the Rust Oleum spray paint. I will probably pick up a can tomorrow. Whats the best way to paint them? I was thinking of maybe screwing the tips into a piece of cardboard so they stand up and then spray it that way. How would you do it?

The same way you just mentioned. That paint also works well for painting the inside of the CM 922. Cheap, effective, and easy. :) 
m
l
March 27, 2011 1:49:43 AM

Yeah, I thought about doing the inside too but I don't really have a place to do it (I live in an apartment) plus it seems like a lot of work taking everything back off of it. Would you paint the drive bays too?
m
l
March 27, 2011 2:01:13 AM

chmcke01 said:
Yeah, I thought about doing the inside too but I don't really have a place to do it (I live in an apartment) plus it seems like a lot of work taking everything back off of it. Would you paint the drive bays too?

I'm too lazy for the drive bays. Masking tape ftw :p 
m
l
March 28, 2011 3:55:23 PM

The rest of my parts are getting delivered today. After I make sure it is stable at stock I was planning on overclocking. I am a noob when it comes to that, so I was going to follow this guide:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

Is that a good guide? Or would you recommend a different guide or have advice of your own?

Also, everything says that if you try a speed and its not stable to increase the VCore a little, what kind of stepping should I use? What I mean is if I set it (the i5 2500k) at 4 Ghz with 1.12 Volts and its not stable should I increase to 1.13? 1.14? jump straight to 1.2?

Thanks in advance for any help.
m
l
March 28, 2011 4:57:13 PM

That looks like a good guide. I was also going to reference this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

How high to you plan on overclocking? From what I've read, a 4 ghz oc is only a matter of bumping up the multiplier; I don't think voltage adjustments are necessary. The author of your guide used a voltage of 1.35V to achieve 4.8 Ghz, so I'm going to regard that as the maximum voltage setting (assuming I decide to see how high a stable OC i can get). Also, the difference in voltage between his 4.0 and 4.5 OCs is 0.05 V so based on that, I'd increase the voltage in 0.01 increments. But err on the side of caution if you're uncertain.

All this is based on observation of what people have done in the OC guides. I'm going to start building my first PC today so I've never OC'd before!
m
l
March 29, 2011 1:36:42 AM

OK, so, weird problem. When it boots there is a single beep (so it passed POST) and I load right into Windows 7 no problem. BUT, I can't seem to get into BIOS. It never says "hit DEL for BIOS" or anything like that but If I hit DEL it takes me to a page that says AB in the bottom right hand corner and has the mouse in the center. I can move the mouse but there is nothing to click. Any ideas?
m
l
March 29, 2011 3:14:09 PM

I only have a couple hrs a night to build, and I'm still working on getting everything wired properly so I haven't gotten there yet. But I suggest starting a new thread in the Motherboard subforum to get some responses.
m
l
March 29, 2011 3:51:13 PM

It ended up being the HDMI. If I hook up a VGA monitor (via a DVI to VGA adapter) it works perfectly. I guess UEFI just doesn't like HDMI?
m
l
April 5, 2011 3:06:56 AM

Best answer selected by chmcke01.
m
l
!