How do aftermarket fans work?

powerfulcrunch

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I am looking a the 6950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102914

First off I want to flash it to a 6970. But the other thing I have read about this card (and the 70's for that matter) is that they get hot. So I want to put an aftermarket fan on it too. This is something I know absolutely nothing about. I did have a fan go out on a 9500GT but some super glue and a quick trip to microcenter and I was back in business. Aftermarket cooling systems for graphics cards appear to be a whole different thing though.

The cooling system I am looking at is the thermalright shaman http://www.techpowerup.com/131046/Thermalright-Readies-Shaman-140-mm-VGA-Cooler.html

If I buy that will it include everything I need? Obviously I am going to have spend some time carefuly taking apart the graphics card and mounting the shaman on in place of the stock heat sink and fan. But I have heard this card is gigantic (10", well I mean to some guys 10" is gigantic but not me ha ha). Will the shaman cool the entire card? Does like the ram and chipset on the card need to be cooled too and if so will the shaman cool it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

powerfulcrunch

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

Okay I read through that and it looks good. What is VRM/VRM cooling? Is that something else that you would need to buy if you went with the Shaman?

That is cooling for the memory (VRAM), which is very important. Most aftermarket coolers that you install yourself will include heatsinks that need to be attached, usually with thermal paste/glue. Each manufacturer uses a different method, but most do include the VRAM heatsinks in the kit. I believe that Shaman review used a separately purchased VRAM heatsink, so it's starting to get expensive and complicated. Maybe you want to try the video card first and then decide if a self-installed aftermarket cooler is necessary.

powerfulcrunch

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

That would probably be the smart thing to do but now that this idea is stuck in my head its hard to get out. I mean if it's hot anyhow and then I flash it to a 70 and maybe even O.C. it and it's only in a Mid-Tower that is hidden away in a desk I'm afraid that will be too much. Another thing is that I would like to get this all done with one shot and not have to worry about it after that.

Either way, thanks for your help. One last question, this is what you are talking about right http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887017
I just need to make sure one end touches the RAM on the graphics card and the other end touches the shaman. ...basically. Other things like paste and actually figuring out which chips are the RAM being something I will worry about later.

Before you go off on this mission make sure your case is big enough to support it,and make sure you have good case airflow.
Installing a VGA cooler isn't much different from installing a regular heatsink for the CPU,it is just smaller and more delicate.I'm sure if you google somewhere "how to install amermarket cooler for 6950" you will come up with lots of responses and detailed intrsustion on how to do it yourself.

Goodluck!

powerfulcrunch

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

I'm buying mid-February anyhow (tax refund)