Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Hard Drives
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 21, 2011 9:54:23 PM

Hi.

I have a great computer case I bought 10 years ago. it is fantastic but... do not know/remember the make! And sadly you cannot get them :-(

I am looking to build another system. finding a DECENT case is difficult and expensive. I am looking for a good airflow ATX/Full ATX case.

I came across the Fractal Design Define XL and the R3 range. it looks good with alot of HDD slots which is just what I need.

however reading the reviews, there are 2 problems:

1) no LEDs for HDD activity/power
2) Heavy!!! (due to the sound insulation etc...)

I also am not sure exactly how to fit in the mobo into the case? Any vids or tuts on this?

what other cases do you suggest? I dont want a case full of LED lights all over the place.

Thanks!

More about : cases

a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 10:05:27 PM

Budget ?
a b ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 10:05:47 PM

And PC components to go inside ?
Related resources
June 21, 2011 10:38:12 PM

Budget? the less the better. max around £90GBP

components? 5-7 HDD's
Intel i7 CPU
Asus mobo (P6x58D-E)
750W modular PSU

this really should be enough to tell you the type of case required :) 
June 21, 2011 10:47:46 PM

Antec 1200? HAF 932?
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 21, 2011 10:51:00 PM

Inwin Dragon rider bout £90, subtle leds with switch
Moto
June 21, 2011 10:55:52 PM

dont like the dragon rider style :( 
June 21, 2011 11:07:20 PM

ok....

it should have a mobo removable tray.
the HAF one does not.

Also in regards to noise - how noisy is the cases with the fans they now supply?

Any vids or tuts on how to screw the mobo into the case?
June 22, 2011 8:14:49 AM

thanks. was making sure that things havent changed since I built systems almost 10 years ago! haha.

Still not sure which to go for in terms of the case. I do like the fractar XL case but does not have LED lights for power/HDD and also seems pretty heavy!

the R2/R3 factor is also appealing but again - no LED lights.

the HAF/Artec looked ok but the reviews were not the highest.
June 22, 2011 3:27:55 PM

firehawk_1 said:
Hi.

I have a great computer case I bought 10 years ago. it is fantastic but... do not know/remember the make! And sadly you cannot get them :-(

I am looking to build another system. finding a DECENT case is difficult and expensive. I am looking for a good airflow ATX/Full ATX case.

I came across the Fractal Design Define XL and the R3 range. it looks good with alot of HDD slots which is just what I need.

however reading the reviews, there are 2 problems:

1) no LEDs for HDD activity/power
2) Heavy!!! (due to the sound insulation etc...)

I also am not sure exactly how to fit in the mobo into the case? Any vids or tuts on this?

what other cases do you suggest? I dont want a case full of LED lights all over the place.

Thanks!

if you like this case I would say go with it,,
1) -- I though having HDD light would be nice, but all you get is alot of blinking, I ended up just unplugging mine, if you have lots of HDDs,, it'll just be almost always on, not really something that'll be helpful
2) -- are you going to be lugging your PC around alot? i got a small light chassis, but it still weighs in at about 45 lbs fully assembled,, if you have lots of HDDs,, you probably won't want to move it around too much. I would rather have alot of sound insulation.

you might be worried about sound with that many Hdds and HAF cases are not at all sound friendly,, they are HUGE though.
June 22, 2011 3:34:53 PM

Thanks.

well HDD LED's for me are useful - very useful at times... believe me. :-)
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 22, 2011 6:42:05 PM

If your modding inclined and your new Mobo has the necessary headers, you can always rob the old lights and fit them to the new case as you see fit,
worth keeping in mind maybe?
Moto
June 22, 2011 6:47:44 PM

Thanks. I wouldn't even know how to do that! haha. The mobo I will be getting would be an Asus P6x58D-E

there must be a simple way surely? it's kinda common sense to have the LED's for power and HDD activities
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 22, 2011 7:39:44 PM

You read the motherboard manual, it will have a diagram for the headers pinout, the frontpanel header has pins for the hdd light and power led, all you need to do is take the old ones out from your old case,
fit the pins to the new mobo and then position whereyou want them on the new case,
might have to make some small holes to allow you to see them from outside, then glue into place,
and I read common sense as 'theres a picture on my screen, ergo pc is on' :p 
and hdd activity was a pointless led in my opinion anyway, but if you like/want/need it, thats the simplest way to do it on a new case that does'nt have them
Moto
June 22, 2011 7:45:16 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
You read the motherboard manual, it will have a diagram for the headers pinout, the frontpanel header has pins for the hdd light and power led, all you need to do is take the old ones out from your old case,
fit the pins to the new mobo and then position whereyou want them on the new case,
might have to make some small holes to allow you to see them from outside, then glue into place,
and I read common sense as 'theres a picture on my screen, ergo pc is on' :p 
and hdd activity was a pointless led in my opinion anyway, but if you like/want/need it, thats the simplest way to do it on a new case that does'nt have them
Moto

might not even need manual,, just follow the power switch cable to MB,, will be where there is 8-12 pins, if you read closely or use magnifying glass, you should be able to read exactly what pin does what
alternatively to making a hole in your case, perhaps hot glue or double side tape to put your LED in the new case somewhere on the inside that is visible from outside (air intake, side window a space in between external drive bays) or even in an empty PCI slot in the back as you should see the blinking reflect from the wall depending on where you place the pc and you usually sit
I don't know what reason you absolutely need your hDD light for, but that's what I would do as well so it isn't so obvious or annoying.
!