WINDOWS 7 32 BIT? OR 64 BIT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

if your processor is 64 bit and your running a 32 bit OS, then that means that the processor needs to to double the operations.

let me explain.

if you run 32 bit windows on a 64 bit processor the processor itself needs to emulate a 32 bit environment to be compatible to the operating system. this slows things down and makes the CPU run twice as hot.

install windows 7 64 bit. during the install the setup will check your cpu and if its not 64 bit, the setup will halt.

if the CPU is 64 bit and the windows 7 version is 64 bit the setup should work fine.

after the install is done and you got all the drivers the processor does not need to run on 32 bit mode unless you run a 32 bit/x86 application.

you will notice the overall heat & fan speed decrease & performance loading apps will be super fast.

i am a self employed computer engineer that does this for a living and ive tested this theory on many laptops and desktops and ot has resolved 95% of my issues with performance.

it makes sense too. having a 64 bit processor,means you should utilize that fact by running a 64 bit operating system. the best so far ive tested and approved for all my clients is

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT.

have trouble finding a copy to test out? PM me for details.

if you run 32 bit windows on a 64 bit processor the processor itself needs to emulate a 32 bit environment to be compatible to the operating system. this slows things down and makes the CPU run twice as hot.

Not true. x86-64 processors are fully capable of running 32-bit code with no emulation whatsoever. Itanium processors, on the other hand, were 64-bit only and had to run 32-bit code through software emulation. I think you've got the two confused. The modern Intel and AMD processors running in our PCs are still 32-bit x86 processors at heart; they just have 64-bit capabilities added. (That's not to say they are not 64-bit processors... after all if they run a 64-bit OS with 64-bit drivers, then they are in fact 64-bit processors).

if your processor is 64 bit and your running a 32 bit OS, then that means that the processor needs to to double the operations.

I'm really not sure how you reached this conclusion. Since the CPUs are fully backwards compatible with the 32-bit x86 instruction set, there is no "doubling" of operations. By your logic, the 64-bit processor would run 32-bit code twice as fast because it could process 2 32-bit instructions in the same amount of time as it could 1 64-bit operation. We all know that isn't the case.

The reason your customer's computers run faster when you're done with them has more to do with the fresh Windows install with no bloatware than 32-bit vs. 64-bit. While I agree a 64-bit capable processor is being wasted with a 32-bit OS, the performance issue is moot. Besides, 64-bit only becomes useful if you're running 4GB+ of RAM... anything less and you might as well stick with 32-bit Windows.

After reading through the multiple posts you've created on this topic gigabytexxl, I have come to the conclusion that you are either incredibly insane, incredibly stupid, or both. Don't believe me? My evidence (by evidence, I mean those multiple posts you've created spewing the same crap, either implicitly or explicitly) proves it.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
@ OP:

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHH

maybe im being a little OTT, but thats one of the most ridiculous threads ive ever read through. i dont know where you attained this info, but its so incredibly wrong that it worries me.

so who's gonna link this in the 'stupidest threads youve seen' thread?

Actually, he reminds me of the guy that claimed there was a virus that could magically make the heads of your hard drive move up and down vertically rather than back and forth horizontally. Never mind that the mechanism required to move the heads in such a fashion doesn't exist...

Can't remember the guy's name now... but that's kind of ignorance you can never forget.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
hahahaohwow2.jpg

Do you happen to run a blog gigabytexxl?

Your conclusions have no basis in fact... that was the problem. The whole "64-bit processors have to work twice as hard to run 32-bit Windows and therefore run twice as hot" is, quite frankly, ridiculous. There is absolutely no correlation between 32 or 64-bit and how hard the processor works.

This is what really got me though:

I am a self employed computer engineer that does this for a living and i've tested this theory on many laptops and desktops and it has resolved 95% of my issues with performance.

You claim to be someone that should know what they're talking about on this issue... and yet it's clear to absolutely everyone that reads your post that you don't. I'm sorry if you're insulted, but your post has absolutely no basis in fact.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
because you've made ridiculous assertions, that go against absolute basic knowledge of computing hardware, without so much as a single piece of proof or evidence.

well done on removing it before anyone else can be ammused by your stupidity though. you've done yourself a favour.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
"Thanks for the wonderful untested feedback."

I can honestly say that the only one who stated untested information was yourself.

The whole 32 bits runs hotter then 64 bits on a 64 bit CPU....

The only thing Google comes up with it this thread everything else is not even related... (I already knew it was not true but I figured searching for it would at least come up with some crazed web page posting weird stuff like Alien abductions and CIA hot dog brain implants but alas no interesting reading material for me on this night.)

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
For the sake of historical recording, this is another thread OP has posted in. I will repost what he has said here so anyone reading the edited out posts can get an idea what he is saying.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/813-63-windows-performance

let me explain.

install windows 7 64 bit. during the install the setup will check your cpu and if its not 64 bit, the setup will halt.

if the CPU is 64 bit and the windows 7 version is 64 bit the setup should work fine.

after the install is done and you got all the drivers the processor does not need to run on 32 bit mode unless you run a 32 bit/x86 application.

you will notice the overall heat & fan speed decrease & performance loading apps will be super fast.

i am a self employed computer engineer that does this for a living and ive tested this theory on many laptops and desktops and ot has resolved 95% of my issues with performance.

it makes sense too. having a 64 bit processor,means you should utilize that fact by running a 64 bit operating system. the best so far ive tested and approved for all my clients is

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT.

have trouble finding a copy to test out? PM me for details.

yes ive studied the architecture in great detail, im only relaying this information because ive tested this many times and the benchmarks and fan speeds and temps say it all.

if you run a 32 bit os on a 64 bit processor the system itself will run hotter, the fan speed will be faster and the calculation will will take a little longer to complete.

run a 64 bit os on a 64 bit processor the fan speed and temp will be much cooler and slower fan speeds. this is from my data collection during my studies.

try it out for yourself. i guarantee u will notice a difference.

i got sick of laptop after laptop running like a hairdryer,(high fan speed with extreme amount of heat exhaust. running 32 bit windows with a 64 bit processor. after installing 64 bit windows i barley hear the fan at all and my customer feedback has been very positive. key remarks they give me are

system running cooler.

they also notice a difference in switching between application doesn't take nearly as long as 32 bit windows.

not trying to confuse anyone with this information im just relaying the results of my tests.

Hi gigabytexxl. You're not fooling anyone with your "i'm going to create a sympathy account to make my wild and utterly ridiculous claims seem more plausible" attempts.

Craig - obviously you're an independent guy who has no connection with the OP. Can you further your argument by explaining one little point?

Why is your PicasaWeb Album (http://picasaweb.google.com/craigflindall/MOONSHOTS#) entitled "GigabyteXXL>MOON SHOTS"?

Is this sort of deception (multiple accounts in an attempt to fool people) a banning offence on these forums? It is on many others that I frequent.

Status
Not open for further replies.