IBM THinkpad Dark Screen

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2005 9:40:43 AM

Help! My IBM Thinkpad was running fine until last night. Last night,
when I booted up, the lcd screen is almost completely dark - I can just
barely make out the stuff on the screen if I shine a light directly at
it, but it's like it has "brightness" permanently set at something
close to zero - there doesn't seem to be any light coming off the
screen. FN-F7 and FN-Home don't seem to help.

Is there anything I can do myself, or do I need to take it in? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2005 2:52:40 PM

scary_penguin@hotmail.com wrote:
> Help! My IBM Thinkpad was running fine until last night. Last night,
> when I booted up, the lcd screen is almost completely dark - I can just
> barely make out the stuff on the screen if I shine a light directly at
> it, but it's like it has "brightness" permanently set at something
> close to zero - there doesn't seem to be any light coming off the
> screen. FN-F7 and FN-Home don't seem to help.
>
> Is there anything I can do myself, or do I need to take it in? Thanks.

usually, the hardware problem is the inverter board next to the lcd
panel in the lid, what model and type #? if out of warranty and you
feel adventurous, you can try to replace it yourself. Lots of spare
part vendors on Ebay.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 14, 2005 7:25:19 PM

Is there any light coming from it at all?
Duncan.

<scary_penguin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Help! My IBM Thinkpad was running fine until last night. Last night,
> when I booted up, the lcd screen is almost completely dark - I can just
> barely make out the stuff on the screen if I shine a light directly at
> it, but it's like it has "brightness" permanently set at something
> close to zero - there doesn't seem to be any light coming off the
> screen. FN-F7 and FN-Home don't seem to help.
>
> Is there anything I can do myself, or do I need to take it in? Thanks.

a b D Laptop
April 15, 2005 6:01:25 AM

Depending on the model, it is either the inverter or the backlight. On
a 600 series, it is almost always the backlight. On a 770 series, it
is always the inverter.

On 14 Apr 2005 05:40:43 -0700, scary_penguin@hotmail.com wrote:

>Help! My IBM Thinkpad was running fine until last night. Last night,
>when I booted up, the lcd screen is almost completely dark - I can just
>barely make out the stuff on the screen if I shine a light directly at
>it, but it's like it has "brightness" permanently set at something
>close to zero - there doesn't seem to be any light coming off the
>screen. FN-F7 and FN-Home don't seem to help.
>
>Is there anything I can do myself, or do I need to take it in? Thanks.

April 15, 2005 12:11:43 PM

If it's a burned out CCFL lamp, you can replace it yourself if you are
careful and can use a soldering iron. Your laptop or screen might be
listed here:
http://jkllamps.com/laptop.cfm

If it's the inverter you'll be best finding an exact replacement (eBay,
some laptop components dealers). Google is your friend in this case.
Even if you replace both lamp and inverter it will sill cost hundreds
less than getting a new LCD, but you have to do the work.

Good luck!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2005 11:31:06 PM

hi my thinkpad 600 has just done the same thing i dont believe its the
lcd lamp since the windows splash screen is fine on boot up and there
is light on the cursor when it is on mouse over eg microsoft home any
ideas would be aprechiated thanks in advance
February 23, 2009 11:12:09 PM

Make sure you have your battery settings under IBM's "Power Scheme Settings" set to / selected for "High Battery Performance"

I didn't and my screen was pretty dark...as soon as I changed it....wella! :bounce:
February 24, 2009 10:21:55 AM

needs new inverter, simple as that.
July 9, 2010 2:24:51 AM

I have a T43 with the same issues. I replaced the LCD screen and inverter and still have the problem. I hooked the laptop up to an external monitor and the screen was crystal clear. Any other ideas??
!