Digitizing Tablets

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 11, 2005 6:16:50 PM

High-end digitizing pen tablets, such as the Wacom, seem to start at about
$200 for a small 4 x 5 tablet and go up in price. Cyberguys.com lists
this type of tablet (USB connected) for $69.95 -- quite a price
difference. Has anybody tried the low priced spread? How is it? Are
there real differences between the big guys and the cheap imitations? Are
Wacom et al worth the more than twice price difference? Inquiring minds,
and all that . . .

Thanks!

More about : digitizing tablets

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:03:40 PM

In article <cpeq01hlnl815lrpaa9qk6ubusscbdp23i@4ax.com>,
Steve King <wheelgat@c-zone.net> wrote:
>High-end digitizing pen tablets, such as the Wacom, seem to start at about
>$200 for a small 4 x 5 tablet and go up in price. Cyberguys.com lists
>this type of tablet (USB connected) for $69.95 -- quite a price
>difference. Has anybody tried the low priced spread? How is it? Are
>there real differences between the big guys and the cheap imitations? Are
>Wacom et al worth the more than twice price difference? Inquiring minds,
>and all that . . .
>
>Thanks!

BH Photo has the 4x5 Wacom for $99. People rave about them. I know
some and FWIW nobody admits to have tried any no-name brand.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 2:22:52 AM

"Steve King" <wheelgat@c-zone.net> wrote in message
> High-end digitizing pen tablets, such as the Wacom, seem to start at about
> $200 for a small 4 x 5 tablet and go up in price. Cyberguys.com lists
> this type of tablet (USB connected) for $69.95 -- quite a price
> difference. Has anybody tried the low priced spread? How is it? Are
> there real differences between the big guys and the cheap imitations? Are
> Wacom et al worth the more than twice price difference? Inquiring minds,
> and all that . . .

Not tried others, I have a wacom graphire 2, and it is great

AJM
February 12, 2005 2:53:19 AM

Repeat after me ...

WACOM

It is good that they have "competition," but they have been the "standard"
since ... well ... at least the early 1990s.

Repeat after me ...

WACOM

"Steve King" <wheelgat@c-zone.net> wrote in message
> High-end digitizing pen tablets, such as the Wacom, seem to start at
about
> $200 for a small 4 x 5 tablet and go up in price. Cyberguys.com lists
> this type of tablet (USB connected) for $69.95 -- quite a price
> difference. Has anybody tried the low priced spread? How is it? Are
> there real differences between the big guys and the cheap imitations?
Are
> Wacom et al worth the more than twice price difference? Inquiring minds,
> and all that . . .
>
> Thanks!
February 12, 2005 9:02:44 AM

I've got the cheap Wacom one (about $70 at Circuit City w/rebates) and
find it really useful for masking, very precise cloning, etc. Though I
have very large hands I really don't have problems with the relatively
small tablet size and, in fact, its small size allows me to keep it on
a portion of my desk that it can share with a conventional optical
mouse. The pen sensitivity can be a bit of a problem but practice helps
a lot. It's also great to use with a laptop that only has a touch pad.
I should add that I also find it restful to use it for some reason.
After moving a relatively large mouse around it feels very relaxing.
Great product.
February 12, 2005 8:46:36 PM

the 4x5 Wacom is more like 99 bucks. I've ued a Wacom for about 5 years now
and wouldn't be interested in anything else unless they could prove to me
they were at least as good and less than half the price.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Steve King" <wheelgat@c-zone.net> wrote in message
> High-end digitizing pen tablets, such as the Wacom, seem to start at about
> $200 for a small 4 x 5 tablet and go up in price. Cyberguys.com lists
> this type of tablet (USB connected) for $69.95 -- quite a price
> difference. Has anybody tried the low priced spread? How is it? Are
> there real differences between the big guys and the cheap imitations? Are
> Wacom et al worth the more than twice price difference? Inquiring minds,
> and all that . . .
>
> Thanks!
February 13, 2005 2:24:02 AM

> High-end digitizing pen tablets, such as the Wacom, seem to start at about
> $200 for a small 4 x 5 tablet and go up in price. Cyberguys.com lists
> this type of tablet (USB connected) for $69.95 -- quite a price
> difference. Has anybody tried the low priced spread? How is it? Are
> there real differences between the big guys and the cheap imitations? Are
> Wacom et al worth the more than twice price difference? Inquiring minds,
> and all that . . .

Wacom works closely with photoshop and painter professionals, and spends
alot to promote to them too. but you are right, I don't know anybody who
has used anything else. that doesn't mean they don't work and for light
users it maybe all you need. I don't use the cool functions like the
programable hot spots for actions etc.

I use the 6x8, its large enough, but not too large, the 9x12 makes you reach
across the desk for every tool or menu and that gets tiring after awhile.

try ebay for a used one. if you need a usb one be sure to ask before cause
there are serial port ones too.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:33:21 PM

Speaking of Wacom and the tablets I just picked up a *really* good book
on how to use tablets with Photoshop and Painter and recommend it to
anyone who wants to learn the painting tools and brushes better,
especially with the latest tablets ... book is "The Photoshop and
Painter Artist Tablet Book: Creative Techniques in Digital Painting" by
Cher Threinen-Pendarvis (the lady who wrote the Painter Wow! books).

Maybe even I can learn Painter now, that program gives me fits ...

Bill
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 1:26:53 PM

Tony wrote:

> the 4x5 Wacom is more like 99 bucks. I've ued a Wacom for about 5 years now
> and wouldn't be interested in anything else unless they could prove to me
> they were at least as good and less than half the price.

Question on the Graphire- do you have to use the mouse that Wacom
supplies? I use a track ball and want to keep my existing one. Can I
use it okay with the Wacom tablets?
February 14, 2005 1:22:27 PM

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>
>> the 4x5 Wacom is more like 99 bucks. I've ued a Wacom for about 5
>> years now
>> and wouldn't be interested in anything else unless they could prove to me
>> they were at least as good and less than half the price.
>>

> Question on the Graphire- do you have to use the mouse that Wacom
> supplies? I use a track ball and want to keep my existing one. Can I
> use it okay with the Wacom tablets?

It will work in conjunction with any other mice or trackballs you happen
to have on your system. That's the way I use mine -- trackball when it
makes sense, graphire pen when it makes sense, and graphire mouse, when
it makes sense.

Bob
February 14, 2005 1:25:57 PM

B. Peg wrote:
>>I've got the Wacom 4x5 and regret it. It is too small. The next size up
>>would have been better (5x7). The 4x5 reminds me of drawing on a postage
>>stamp. The older you get, the harder it seems to draw on the smaller
>>tablets. Of course, ymmv.
>

> Opps. Forgot to add that you may want to get their better stylus (i.e. pen)
> too. No matter how I fight with their Mickey Mouse toggle lever switch on
> the stylus, I always seem to mess up the image by moving the stylus while
> trying to manipulate the toggle switch on the pen. This may or may not be
> exaggerated on the smaller pad as well. Their stock stylus is really a
> lousy pen if you have larger fingers.
>
> B~

To each his own! I have the 4x5 graphire and find the area too large. I
set up the driver to use a 3x4 portion of the pad. I don't have a
problem with the pen switches usually. I generally only use the toggle
for the right-click function. When it is a problem I press the
right-click key on the keyboard instead.

Bob
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:55:50 AM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:16:50 -0800, Steve King <wheelgat@c-zone.net>
wrote:

>High-end digitizing pen tablets, such as the Wacom, seem to start at about
>$200 for a small 4 x 5 tablet and go up in price. Cyberguys.com lists
>this type of tablet (USB connected) for $69.95 -- quite a price
>difference. Has anybody tried the low priced spread? How is it? Are
>there real differences between the big guys and the cheap imitations? Are
>Wacom et al worth the more than twice price difference? Inquiring minds,
>and all that . . .

If you don't have to have the absolute screaming latest model,
consider shopping for a Wacom ArtZ II 6x8 on eBay. They run between
$40 to $80. No, they aren't quite as sensitive as the newer Intuos
tablets, nor the pens as comfy, but they are perfectly serviceable
tablets with great reliability and good resale value.

Example... 4 years ago, I bought a Wacom ArtZ II 6x8 on eBay for $75
plus shipping. I just sold it for $58 plus shipping after four years
of heavy use. (Fortunately, it still looked like new... but I take
good care of stuff.)

I might add that less than a year ago, I bought a used Wacom Intuos2
6x8 USB model for $200... so they can be had. And when I contacted
Wacom, they sent me all the software that goes along with it except
for Photoshop LE.

I'd stick with Wacom myself. A very good product and good support.

BTW... once you have a good graphics tablet... you'll never go back.
They are wonderful!

Cynthia
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:04:02 AM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:24:02 -0800, "zeitgeist"
<blkhatwhtdog@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> High-end digitizing pen tablets, such as the Wacom, seem to start at about
>> $200 for a small 4 x 5 tablet and go up in price. Cyberguys.com lists
>> this type of tablet (USB connected) for $69.95 -- quite a price
>> difference. Has anybody tried the low priced spread? How is it? Are
>> there real differences between the big guys and the cheap imitations? Are
>> Wacom et al worth the more than twice price difference? Inquiring minds,
>> and all that . . .
>>

>Wacom works closely with photoshop and painter professionals, and spends
>alot to promote to them too. but you are right, I don't know anybody who
>has used anything else. that doesn't mean they don't work and for light
>users it maybe all you need. I don't use the cool functions like the
>programable hot spots for actions etc.
>
>I use the 6x8, its large enough, but not too large, the 9x12 makes you reach
>across the desk for every tool or menu and that gets tiring after awhile.
>
>try ebay for a used one. if you need a usb one be sure to ask before cause
>there are serial port ones too.

Also keep an eye out... some on eBay have ADB ports for Mac. OTOH, if
you don't *have* to have USB, you may get a better price going for a
serial port Wacom.

My experience is that as long as you buy from a decent seller, a used
Wacom should be a very good buy. Both of mine have been bought used on
eBay and the first one, which I just sold, was still working fine and
dandy. I don't know how long a graphics tablet normally lasts, but
these seem to be built well and for the duration.

Cynthia
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:46:36 AM

In message <6qba1110pc875pb67fc8smthusirhvgl3m@4ax.com>,
Matt <m.t.day.ZZZ@ntlworld.com.ZZZ> wrote:

>If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

Ditto for soldering irons!
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
!