Sign in with
Your question

GTX 295

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2011 7:04:11 PM

Does anyone think it's still possible to find a new Nvidia Geforce GTX 295?

I found some on eBay for a good price but of course it's eBay and you can't always trust "new."

What are your opinions on buying GPUs on eBay?

Note: I play Directx 9/10 games so the newer cards won't benefit me that much.

More about : gtx 295

a b Î Nvidia
January 17, 2011 7:32:14 PM

I havn't bought any GPU there but I do buy off eBay all the time. eBay is all about rep, if they sell a LOT of things and have 98 percent+ positive feedback then they are usually trustworthy.

Granted I don't think you can get a 295 for a price that I would consider resonable anyway.
m
l
January 17, 2011 11:10:58 PM

If you care about warranties, make sure the manufacturer covers purchases off sites like ebay. IIRC, i think eVGA's warranty specifically excludes ebay purchases even if it is brand new and never opened.

I bought a used BFG 7900 GTX off ebay a while ago to get an SLI setup, and I think the lifetime warranty was still preserved.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2011 11:42:42 PM

Helltech said:
I havn't bought any GPU there but I do buy off eBay all the time. eBay is all about rep, if they sell a LOT of things and have 98 percent+ positive feedback then they are usually trustworthy.

Granted I don't think you can get a 295 for a price that I would consider resonable anyway.

What would be a reasonable price for you?

I've found a couple sellers with over 99.5% positive feedback that have sold more expensive PC parts in the past. I think the worst thing would be getting the card DOA.
m
l
January 18, 2011 12:25:17 PM

I bought my 295 off Ebay and had no problems. My bro tried to buy a 4870 x2 off Ebay and got 2 dead cards from 2 different sellers! To a certain extent its luck of the draw, (although I think the X2's were quite prone to death, there don't seem to be anywhere near as many 'my card is dying' threads about the 295s in comparison.) Worst case scenario is you need to send it back and it costs you ~£8 return post. I've bought tens of gfx cards off Ebay - (probabaly about 40-50) and only only one was DOA - a 6800 Ultra from back when - and I got my cash back on this one.
In the UK a second hand 295 goes for between £170 and £200. A 580 is ~£410, so you get very similar raw performance (albeit without dx11) for half the price - not bad.

m
l
January 18, 2011 7:13:20 PM

MMclachlan said:
I bought my 295 off Ebay and had no problems. My bro tried to buy a 4870 x2 off Ebay and got 2 dead cards from 2 different sellers! To a certain extent its luck of the draw, (although I think the X2's were quite prone to death, there don't seem to be anywhere near as many 'my card is dying' threads about the 295s in comparison.) Worst case scenario is you need to send it back and it costs you ~£8 return post. I've bought tens of gfx cards off Ebay - (probabaly about 40-50) and only only one was DOA - a 6800 Ultra from back when - and I got my cash back on this one.
In the UK a second hand 295 goes for between £170 and £200. A 580 is ~£410, so you get very similar raw performance (albeit without dx11) for half the price - not bad.

Good to hear that about the 295 and DOA card rate. If I do end up buying one, I hope I get lucky!
m
l
January 18, 2011 8:22:09 PM

^ agreed.

Personally, I would rather have a new GTX 570 now for $150 more rather than a "new" GTX 295 for ~$200 on ebay. The 295 is two generations older than the 5xx series and the 5xx series supports DX11 which is a good way to ensure you get more longevity from your GPU for future games. With a new GTX 570 you will be guaranteed to get an active warranty. I suggest EVGA as the card manufacturer. My personal favorite. =)

Hope this helps.
m
l
!