Prime95 and Phenom II X4 955 concerns.

I just ran Prime95 and my Phenom II X4 955 BE hit 62c in about 4 minutes. I don't think this is right. I've installed a 212+ and am using Arctic Silver as the paste. I ran the large FFT test. However, my idle temps are 28-30c...

As I understand this CPU's temp limit is 62c.

I thought that perhaps I might've put too much thermal paste, or perhaps it the way I switched my fans around in my case.

I've run this test before with stock cooler and the Hyper 212+ and my highest temp after 4 hours was 55c.

So, what gives?
8 answers Last reply
More about prime95 phenom concerns
  1. how high clock speed and vcore..?
  2. vcore was 1.48 at the time of hitting 62c and clock speeds are stock.

EDIT: As for my case it is an NZXT Phantom. Front 140mm fan acting as intake, two 120mm intake fans, one 200mm in take fan up top, one 200mm exhaust fan on side panel, and one 120mm exhaust fan in the rear of the case.

I seem to get really good idle temps and load temps as well for my GPU and CPU, generally. However in Mass Effect 2 I did notice that my CPU had gotten up to 57c, while during The Witcher 2 it never passed 52c. Both games were maxed.
  3. uhtred said:
    vcore was 1.48 at the time of hitting 62c and clock speeds are stock.

EDIT: As for my case it is an NZXT Phantom. Front 140mm fan acting as intake, two 120mm intake fans, one 200mm in take fan up top, one 200mm exhaust fan on side panel, and one 120mm exhaust fan in the rear of the case.

I seem to get really good idle temps and load temps as well for my GPU and CPU, generally. However in Mass Effect 2 I did notice that my CPU had gotten up to 57c, while during The Witcher 2 it never passed 52c. Both games were maxed.

First of all, 1.48v at stock settings is WAY to high. The stock voltage for the 955 is ~1.32v, from what I've read. Yours is getting to hot because the voltage is up to high! If it's at the stock clock speed then just leaving it on Auto will be fine. Another thing would be the way your fans are set up.. Here's what I would do, and what would be best.

Front 140mm - Intake (Pulls cool air from the front)
    Side Panel 200mm - Intake (Pulls cool air from the side)
    Side Panel 120mm - Intake ^
    Top 200mm - Exhaust (Hot air rises, so a top exhaust will be perfect)
    Rear 120mm - Exhaust ^
  4. I did have my fans set up just so. However I merely was experimenting with different options and found that my system runs cooler because of it. When I had my side fan set as intake my CPU performed the same, however, my GPU ran hotter. Now with it as exhaust my GPU ran the way it did without having the fan installed in the first place. With the side fan as intake my GPU ran about 4c higher, with it as exhaust or not there at all it funs about 4c cooler.

I've actually thought of just removing the side fan as I see no real benefits from it, really. I could mount it up top for two 200 mm exhaust fans, but this would leave only the 2x120mm intake and 140mm intake fans. Thoughts?

Now, as for vcore, I haven't messed with the CPU settings at all and it has hit 1.48 before, however temps would hover around 52c-55c at load. So, I should go into BIOS and change the vcore.

Just to clarify here when we're talking of clock speeds this is concerning overclocking, yes? I just want to make sure and I am still learning, a never ending process.

As f right now my vcore is 1.08. I do have cool n' quiet enabled. Could this be a problem as well?
  5. Right i would just set everything on Auto. That would be easiest and work the best. Cool n' Quiet is to help keep the temp down but undervolting and underclocking the CPU automatically if it's not doing anything. If you overclock, you turn it off for the best outcome.

Clock Speed is the speed that something is running at. Your CPU has a stock clock speed for 3200 Mhz or 3.2Ghz. Overclocking the Clock Speed is changing that frequency of the CPU or another item. Ex: 3.2Ghz to 3.6GHz; it changed by 400Mhz.
  6. try clear Cmos.(or press F9) and then F10 9save), it can make your system back to default . and see your temp progress
  7. I reset the BIOS and my all four of my cores got up to 63c. my overall CPU hit 48c, but as I understand it, it is the cores that really matter. Everything is set to auto, however in my BIOS it does say that my vcore is 1.48...Should I just manually set it to 1.32? I was able to run the test for 5 minutes this time. As soon as I stopped the test my cores went down to 31c very quickly. I also looked at my CPU temp in my BIOS which read 40c.

Does that really work for clearing my CMOS, I thought I had to remove the battery?

EDIT:

Yeah, that was I had thought clock speed meant, but I wasn't entirely sure...

I disabled cool n' quiet and I had to set my CPU/NB voltage from auto to manual, then I could lower my VCORE. I lowered it to 1.32. I will re-enable it later and run the same test, yet again. See which results are better.
    So far I've been running the same test and my CPU has not breached 50c! I am going to move around my case fans again, opting with both of my 200mm fans as exhaust up top. Leaving the side panel empty. For some reason, as I mentioned earlier, my GPU was running about 4-6c hotter with the side panel fan as intake, strange, huh? Anyways, that will leave just two 120mm fans and one 140mm fan as intake, would this be wise? As I understand having positive air pressure within the case is most important for cooling your components. Again my case is an NZXT Phantom. So, my intake fans are more up front to cool the drives. I did knock out the small HDD cage though, and have spent a good while on cable management too. All so that more cool air can make its way to my components.

Do you guys think I should re-seat my Hyper 212+? Or do you think it is fine. I think that I did put a bit too much AS5. I am pretty sure that I made good strong contact though.

This is my first build. So, all of this is, more or less trial and error. I am a bit nervous, as there is so much I do not know. Though I am trying to read as much as I can.
    My VCORE did fluctuate despite having it set manually to 1.32, it went down to 1.28, is this okay?

Despite all of the minor setbacks and stress with this build so far, I've really enjoyed playing games on my Rig and found that it has been very much worth it! And I thank you all for the help you have given me thus far as well!

EDIT 2: So, after two full hours of Prime95 Large FFTs, my CPU hasn't gone past 52c! However, my VCORE has been at 1.28 mostly, sometimes going up to 1.32.
    The other thing is that I was watching a film on through VLC nad it wasn't exactly smooth. There was some stuttering, the video quality was HD. I suppose this should be normal considering that Prime95 is running at the same time? Or is this an indication that my VCORE is set too low?
  8. My Phenom X4 955 running at stock speed with the VCORE @ 1.225v
    My DDR3 PC12800 running at 1333mhz @ 1.5v
    I am running Prime95 at 43C for CPU & 34C for MOBO.

See pic

http://imageshack.us/f/33/prime95temps.jpg/
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Thermal Compound Phenom