Sign in with
Your question

Audio error, speakers or MoBo?

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2011 2:26:56 AM

I'm having a stupid problem which might have a simple solution, but I can't figure it out. I just finished a new build, and I'm using the audio jack built in to my Z68 MoBo with some logitech 2.1 speakers. It worked great for the first couple days, no problem. Then out of no where, I start getting this popup from the taskbar saying:

"You just unplugged a device from the audio jack"
"You just plugged a device into the audio jack"

It goes back and for between those really fast. The sound will cut out every so often, but in no relation to the messages I'm getting. I checked all the cables, unplugged them and plugged them back in. Isn't it weird that this would start happening out of no where when it was working fine? I'm not sure what to do.
June 22, 2011 7:14:05 AM

Have you tried plugging the speakers into a different source, such as your cellphone or iPod? This will determine if the plugs aren't simply worn out, and if the mobo may be faulty. It can also be a software issue, as I've seen it happen to both audio and USB plugs that was fixed with a fixing of software. It seems to me like the plugs are worn out or faulty though, as it's a new mobo and new build alltogether. Try the speakers on a different source and throw the results here.
June 22, 2011 5:22:15 PM

I'd also try checking mfg website for audio drivers, could be flakey,, may even have to confirm what audio chip is used and go to that website for drivers,,
Related resources
June 23, 2011 11:54:33 AM

Okay so it looks like the drivers are up to date, and its not the speakers. I had the speakers plugged in to my laptop and they worked fine. Interestingly, even when the speakers were completely unplugged from my desktop, it kept cycling back and forth between the "you've plugged in a device.... you've unplugged a device, blah blah". Isn't it weird that it'd do that when nothing is plugged in?? I don't understand why it would have worked totally fine for a couple days then out of no where start doing this. Ideas??
June 23, 2011 2:30:14 PM

MB is broken, do RMA if you can
!