New Ship Device Idea: Jamming Device

Hello, back in my days in the Navy I flew an EA-6B aircraft. This
plane could produce different types of jamming against enemy radars.

I know Tim has included some minor ECM devices in the game, including
holo decoys and ECM jammers, etc. However, I would like to see a new
platform that would allow the use of more powerful jamming techniques.

For example, what if you could produce a ship that has capability to
jam the sensors on an attack vector? Say, you turn on your Jammer, and
the enemy map would display a swath of red dots of varying thickness
depending on your distance. This jamming could mask your attacking
force. One could attack planets out of the jamming vector, which would
hide your ships from intercept; or you could use the jamming as a
tactical distraction, and attack from altogether different vector.
These tactics are routinely employed in TACAIR maneuvers by the USN.

Anyway, I propose Tim add a new ship designed primarily for a jamming
platform. I don't know if anyone else will like the idea. Maybe I'm
just an old sentimentalist.
4 answers Last reply
More about ship device idea jamming device

    of course if you want an ECM device then the Q tanker whose ability to
    semi-cloak all ships of the same player within 100 lyr may suit your
    tastes :)

    scumm_gel@yahoo.com wrote:
    > of course if you want an ECM device then the Q tanker whose ability to
    > semi-cloak all ships of the same player within 100 lyr may suit your
    > tastes :)

    Does that work for anyone who owns the Q Tanker? I assumed it just
    worked for Bots.

    ????

    ok here it is

    Jan 22nd, 2005

    What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.186
    New: The Robot Q Tanker is very hard to see, it has a sensor profile of
    only 5 at all times.

    New: The Robot Q Tanker refuels fighter wings out to a range of 100 LY

    April 15th, 2005

    What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.193

    New: Robot Q Tanker can mask the sensor image of Robot ships within 100
    LY, giving them a sensor image of only 5

    -- I know that the refueling part will work if other races capture it
    (as stated by Tim though not tested)
    dont know about the sensor image part though. However we did notice
    that it does work.. (you start seeing a lot of UNKNOWN contacts in
    Robot space and cant see the ships that much :) )

    -- now if only Tim would return the Golem Hyperspace Network :D

    > scumm_gel@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> of course if you want an ECM device then the Q tanker whose ability to
    >> semi-cloak all ships of the same player within 100 lyr may suit your
    >> tastes :)
    >
    > Does that work for anyone who owns the Q Tanker? I assumed it just
    > worked for Bots.

    Not related to the original question... I am playing the bots in a game...
    what does the Q Tanker do for them that it doesn't do for others? I have
    not seen anything online about this...

Games Devices Video Games