New Ship Device Idea: Jamming Device

Last response: in Video Games
July 26, 2005 4:21:03 PM

Hello, back in my days in the Navy I flew an EA-6B aircraft. This
plane could produce different types of jamming against enemy radars.

I know Tim has included some minor ECM devices in the game, including
holo decoys and ECM jammers, etc. However, I would like to see a new
platform that would allow the use of more powerful jamming techniques.

For example, what if you could produce a ship that has capability to
jam the sensors on an attack vector? Say, you turn on your Jammer, and
the enemy map would display a swath of red dots of varying thickness
depending on your distance. This jamming could mask your attacking
force. One could attack planets out of the jamming vector, which would
hide your ships from intercept; or you could use the jamming as a
tactical distraction, and attack from altogether different vector.
These tactics are routinely employed in TACAIR maneuvers by the USN.

Anyway, I propose Tim add a new ship designed primarily for a jamming
platform. I don't know if anyone else will like the idea. Maybe I'm
just an old sentimentalist.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:49:28 AM

of course if you want an ECM device then the Q tanker whose ability to
semi-cloak all ships of the same player within 100 lyr may suit your
tastes :)
July 27, 2005 5:07:15 AM

scumm_gel@yahoo.com wrote:
> of course if you want an ECM device then the Q tanker whose ability to
> semi-cloak all ships of the same player within 100 lyr may suit your
> tastes :)

Does that work for anyone who owns the Q Tanker? I assumed it just
worked for Bots.
July 27, 2005 9:54:53 AM

????

ok here it is

Jan 22nd, 2005

What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.186
New: The Robot Q Tanker is very hard to see, it has a sensor profile of
only 5 at all times.

New: The Robot Q Tanker refuels fighter wings out to a range of 100 LY

April 15th, 2005

What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.193

New: Robot Q Tanker can mask the sensor image of Robot ships within 100
LY, giving them a sensor image of only 5

-- I know that the refueling part will work if other races capture it
(as stated by Tim though not tested)
dont know about the sensor image part though. However we did notice
that it does work.. (you start seeing a lot of UNKNOWN contacts in
Robot space and cant see the ships that much :)  )

-- now if only Tim would return the Golem Hyperspace Network :D
July 27, 2005 12:36:05 PM

> scumm_gel@yahoo.com wrote:
>> of course if you want an ECM device then the Q tanker whose ability to
>> semi-cloak all ships of the same player within 100 lyr may suit your
>> tastes :)
>
> Does that work for anyone who owns the Q Tanker? I assumed it just
> worked for Bots.

Not related to the original question... I am playing the bots in a game...
what does the Q Tanker do for them that it doesn't do for others? I have
not seen anything online about this...
!