ATX Z68 Motherboard? Which one?

Shneiky

Distinguished
Hello guys,
I want to upgrade to a i7-2600k ( wanna go to 4. something GHz, nothing extreme like 5+ ) and i want a high end Z68 ATX motherboard. I don't want a mATX. I prefer ATX, not only because you get few extras, but the cooling is better because of the boards size ( would have went to EATX but my HAF 912 won't take it ). I have been using several Asus and ASrock motherboards through the years and I had no problems with them ( when comparing with others like MSI and GIGABITE, with which I had issues ) and I want to stick with them. So anyone can help with the decision? I don't care if I have to spend a 100 USD or 100 EUR more.

Additional Info
i7 2600k
16 GB (or more) 1600 Mhz or more low latency ram ( still wondering between the brands )
GTX 560 Ti or a higher model if i squeeze from somewhere some more money

Case has additional side and top fans. Two 1 TB Hitachi in Raid array. Purpose is 3d modelling, rendering, some Premiere and After Effects and 12K x 9K pixels (and above) Photoshop files. Don't care about gaming. Care about stable long-term overclock.

OK, but be careful, because not all the CPU coolers like the tall profile RAM.

BTW, the RAM I provided, is the same, but low profile, so it does not interfere with any CPU coolers.

As u can see, the cooler obstruct the RAM slot #0, so only #1, #2 and #3 is usable.

ram_clearance.jpg

Shneiky

Distinguished
I am well aware of that issue. But I have turned my cooler 90 degrees to the left and, believe it or not, it not only does not block the ram slots but improved the cooling by lowering 2 degrees. Now the cooler's fans are taking from withing the case and directing that airflow to the exhaust fan on the top. Seems strange, but if it works - it works!

Cool, as long as u know ....

Shneiky

Distinguished
Well i am speaking from personal experience. When all the data is in the ram and it is constantly jumping between cpu-ram-gpu and then vice verse it important to have fast ram specially when creating 3D.

Shneiky

Distinguished
After i install all my software - Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection and Autodesk 3Ds Max Entertainment Suit and all the plug-ins i hit 180 GB. So I prefer to get them on an HDD and the catching on an SDD. My temporary files hit 150 GB sometimes....

I know, I have a CS5.5, but it makes the difference when just the OS is on SSD.

But, yes, if there is a shortage of the funds, SSD cache is one way to help the situation...