Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How Do I Get This ONE Screw OUT!? Help?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 17, 2011 11:46:46 PM

Im trying to open the back plate of my sapphire ati 5870 card so i can install a VGA cooler, and I got Every screw out except for this one small one, heres a video, any tips? --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWaxiMbJq0

Please give me tips or any ideas on how to get it out?

More about : screw

a c 217 U Graphics card
January 17, 2011 11:50:25 PM

I have had issues taking off the screwed before, but found it easier with a different screwdriver. It seems some phillips head screwdriver are pointer than others. It works best with ones that aren't as pointy, so you get more surface area touching the screw.
m
0
l
January 18, 2011 12:00:06 AM

bystander said:
I have had issues taking off the screwed before, but found it easier with a different screwdriver. It seems some phillips head screwdriver are pointer than others. It works best with ones that aren't as pointy, so you get more surface area touching the screw.



okay ill try to find one like that. by the way, once I get it off, do I just flip the card over and the plate falls off, or do I have to slide it back or snap off or how?

Thanks
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 12:53:42 AM

yutubemedia said:
okay ill try to find one like that. by the way, once I get it off, do I just flip the card over and the plate falls off, or do I have to slide it back or snap off or how?

Thanks


That will allow you to remove the bottom plate. You will then need to remove the main portion, which includes the heatsink and fan, with another set of screws.
m
0
l
January 18, 2011 12:59:34 AM

bystander said:
That will allow you to remove the bottom plate. You will then need to remove the main portion, which includes the heatsink and fan, with another set of screws.



Hey so i unscrewed those screw and the X shaped heat sink plate screws, but now its still not disconnecting, Do I need to remove the screws here at 0:15 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXcUU1j3kxQ Theres two screws in line together on the front of the expansion slot, do i need to removed those?

THANKS
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 1:08:26 AM

Ya, at least one of the screws on the front plate does need to be removed. I can't remember if both needed to be.
m
0
l
January 18, 2011 1:33:03 AM

bystander said:
Ya, at least one of the screws on the front plate does need to be removed. I can't remember if both needed to be.



gah...idk, I might give up, I unscrewed both screws on the front and I dont understand how to get it off, Theres the back plate, the middle plate which is the Chip and GPU and all, then the top plate which is like the case....
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 1:50:48 AM

You might have missed a screw, there are a lot of screws on those plates.
m
0
l
January 18, 2011 1:54:28 AM

bystander said:
You might have missed a screw, there are a lot of screws on those plates.



i dont think so i cant find any other screws, It think its just the thermal paste? Being really stuck, Perhaps I have to pull more, Im just worried about breaking it


By the way, thanks for putting up with all my questions, I know im annoying you....http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smile.gif
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 2:00:46 AM

Yah your probably right it's the Thermal paste...Try pushing down and move it in a clockwise and counter clockwise motion.Don't pull up or to the side,you know what might happen.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 2:03:05 AM

ooooo,i just looked at the video.I was talking about the heatsink itself...try sliding it offthe back(or front)might be one whole section.It's like a cover(big sheet of plastic) to force air through the back.
m
0
l
January 18, 2011 2:05:28 AM

purple stank said:
ooooo,i just looked at the video.I was talking about the heatsink itself...try sliding it offthe back(or front)might be one whole section.It's like a cover(big sheet of plastic) to force air through the back.



okay i got the back plate off, now i cant get the damn main chip plate off. I cant turn it because the screw slots are inserted into the top plate case, like the plastic pipe that the screw goes through is, so idk...dont know where or how to pull it off. 8(
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 2:50:23 AM

You most definitely need heat sinks on the VRM and RAM. Most of the new aftermarket heatsinks for these cards come with little heatsinks for the RAM and VRM's.
m
0
l
January 18, 2011 3:14:00 AM

bystander said:
You most definitely need heat sinks on the VRM and RAM. Most of the new aftermarket heatsinks for these cards come with little heatsinks for the RAM and VRM's.




darn, it did not come with any! 8( I wonder if I have to buy the arctic kit, or if theres a different company that makes kits that will work, because the arctic kit its only at like ebay and frozen cpu and costs a lot for shipping, hmm, wonder if newegg has anything.
m
0
l
!