AMD 6 Core

Hey guys im currently in the process of upgrading my computer...i had asked before about a particular graphics card the 6950, which i was very pleased with the response and ended up buying it however i found that my cpu (q6600) is bottlenecking it somewhat... i know this because i have seen different, insanely better results when i have tried it with a friends newer CPU.

so in order to remove as much of that bottleneck as possible i have decided to buy a newer CPU. i used to be an intel fanboy but after reading article after article i'd rather go AMD as the performance similarlity is very close at times but the prices couldnt be different between the 2 companies. i just dont have that kind of money to throw away.

Anyway moving on. My friend has the AMD 6 core 1075t stock clocked at 3.0ghz, now i am buying the same board as him which gives you full overclocking options and can overclock to over 4ghz and with higher voltages and some tweaking ive seen it hit 4.4ghz ...the 1075t seems to perform better at gaming than the 1090t which is extremely weird...but ive read several reviews and seen several benchmarks and it tends to be that way for gaming...now when it comes to number crunching the 1090t is better but i wont be doing much number crunching...i am a PC gamer and the fps is a fair bit better with the 1075t than the 1090t...overclocked they perform the same and i plan to overclock in the future (not right now) and i dont mind the tweaking through bios in order to do that...

my question is what processor do you think i should go for, out of the 2? ... the 1075t (which seems to stack better with gaming benchmark results)... or the 1090t (i know it has the unlocked multiplier but that's not a big factor in my overclocking plans with this board im buying)

i look forward to your reply and sorry for the long post
-Jason
12 answers Last reply
More about core
  1. theducksknow said:
    Hey guys im currently in the process of upgrading my computer...i had asked before about a particular graphics card the 6950, which i was very pleased with the response and ended up buying it however i found that my cpu (q6600) is bottlenecking it somewhat... i know this because i have seen different, insanely better results when i have tried it with a friends newer CPU.

so in order to remove as much of that bottleneck as possible i have decided to buy a newer CPU. i used to be an intel fanboy but after reading article after article i'd rather go AMD as the performance similarlity is very close at times but the prices couldnt be different between the 2 companies. i just dont have that kind of money to throw away.
    -Jason

Hi theducksknow!
    Which article have you been reading??
    Interms of proccessing power of an intel SB compared to the Thuban series has no comparison to date.

We will have a mid range i5 2500k vs AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288
  2. The 1090T outperforms the 1075T, which only makes sense given identical cache sizes, but the 200 Mhz speed advantage of the 1090T prevails....(any reviews to the contrary might not have been an 'apples to apples' comparison; naturally a 1055T with a GTX580 will provide higher framerates than a 1075T with a GTX460)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2010/Gaming-Left-4-Dead,2432.html

For multitasking, the X6 based rigs make sense, as some love to BitCoin, while ripping, burning, protein folding, decrypt, encrypt, Skype, etc., all while gaming at the same time.

For gaming rigs alone, the higher clocked X4 cpus such as the 965 offer better performance in games due to their 200 Mhz higher clockspeeds....
  3. Since you've already decided on getting an X6, I suppose it makes little difference either way. Both are solid CPU's and will serve you well. 6 cores are not really a benefit in gaming at the moment, so you have to factor in the amount of time you will spend gaming vs doing other stuff.
  4. your wasting your money if you buy a 6 core cpu for gaming. What you want is an intel 2500k cpu, its a LOT faster than any amd cpu for gaming.
  5. I'd recommend the 1090T for overclocking. I'd more strongly recommend waiting a couple months for bulldozer to come out. Or take another look at sandy bridge, you might spend about $50 more for an i5 system that would take your buddy's system to the cleaners.
  6. theducksknow said:

so in order to remove as much of that bottleneck as possible i have decided to buy a newer CPU. i used to be an intel fanboy but after reading article after article i'd rather go AMD as the performance similarlity is very close at times but the prices couldnt be different between the 2 companies. i just dont have that kind of money to throw away.-Jason

If comparing X4/X6 pricing solely to i7-980x/990x pricing, I would agree entirely.

Once the i5-2400/2500/2500k pricing is thrown into the mix,....not so much. The 2400 simply decimates all X4/X6 rigs in gaming....the 2500 and 2600, even moreso.

If gaming is not forecasted, however, the X3/X4 rigs can make nice economical desktops.
  7. The 1090T is not massively better than your Q6600 and purely for gaming not even better than the cheaper i3 2100.
  8. ^+1, that is funny and true. an i3 2100 will beat an amd 2/4/6 core in nearly every game, most of the time by significant margins. AMD really need to step up with their bulldozer and hope its FP unit is somewhere near intels to match it in gaming. More than 4 cores just doesnt cut it in games at the moment.
  9. :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:

WARNING WARNING WARNING !!!

lol

Purchase an AM3+ motherboard (or an AM3 motherboard with Bulldozer Zambezi CPU support).

The AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz is $114 before the $15 gift card and will work just dandy with your HD6950.

No real reason in gaming for the extra cores of the X6 Thuban unless you convert significant video or do a bunch of 3D modeling.
  10. I already have all the parts you see. It's just the processor... and yes Wisecracker i thought ahead :P got a nice am3+ board. The bulldozer is going to be expensive when it comes out i reckon. i'll probably buy it down the line after it's had long enough in the market for any issues to be sorted etc.

Looking at the benchmarks mdd1963 listed i can see the difference.

still i do feel the six core is for me. i know it is more money than the x4 but this is the last thing i buy with my money for my PC for the next while (and i only have enough for the 1090t). Games used to only need a dual core, now they need a quad and some duals just dont cut it anymore...i'd rather not buy another quad and have to upgrade in a shorter time because games have stepped up in their requirements.

my brother in law has the 2500k with a 6950, it's good but it's not for me.

well thank you guys...yes the intel chips look better but again everythings set for an amd chip...

at least the 1075t is erased from the equation...now you have me thinking of the x4 and the 1090t :P

but you guys have helped a lot with information and have actually made me understand the market a bit better. and i feel it's easier for me to made a decision now...this is why i made an account here... you guys tend to know more than other forums and tend just to be straight with the person asking the question.

also i tend to multitask a bit when gaming. as well as use photoshop and illustrator on a regular basis.

Thank you guys! :D

-Jason
  11. Good luck with your build!
  12. Buy an X4. There's no need for an X6, especially if you see yourself upgrading to Bulldozer in a year or so.

Unless you are doing lots of rendering the higher clocked X4 will outperform the X6. If you are doing lots of rendering then you've already made a big mistake going with AMD over Intel Sandy Bridge.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product