Motherboard problems possibly??

Jaymes42

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hi,

My computer was working fine, I always leave it on and it shuts off after 30 minutes of no activity.
Next day I turn it on, and usually it goes to where it left off but this time everything just stayed black on screens, 4 screens that is. There was an awful load sound from the case, fans spinning top speed! no beeps from anything.

I've done a test on the whole system, ram fine, HD fine, graphics fine, CPU fine, everything fine I tested except the motherboard. And the PSU was powering things but I presume there is a problem with that as well. I'm thinking power surge.

The motherboard is EVGA X58 SLI. The first one in the range I believe. Has anyone possibly got a solution to this. Do I need a new motherboard or is there something I could fix cheaply on the board.

Also two of my monitors started flickering a long time ago and eventually stopped working within weeks of each other the other two are fine, same make, bought same time. Is this a problem i could fix easily as well.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
well clearly you have done a good job of locating the possible sources. Could be an over or under-volting psu or your mobo.

heres what I would do, make the company eat the failure.

1.order right now the mobo you would rather have or one that at least works.

2.rma the current board for a refurbished replacement.

3.sell said rma as factory refurbished on ebay and maybe take $20-30 less than you paid for it...thats about how much your board has depreciated anyways. Unless you just bought it I guess.

The new board will be to you within 3 days if you do it right. You might try rma the psu first if you like, that way you wont just burn up a 2nd motherboard with the potentially boned psu. cheers

Jaymes42

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I'm pretty sure something is wrong with mobo but does anyone now if I can repair mobo myself or how to find what on mobo is broken

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
no, unless your trained to do tech work on mobos I would not attempt it. You will probably end up voiding your warranty. There is no insta fix for this unless you have some spare components laying around. You might try reseating the components one more time just to be sure before you start the warranty process.

or you can enroll in your local community college for a class related to this:

http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications/a.aspx

months later and a soldering iron and maybe you can make it happen. Its up to you. cheers

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
interesting that your having monitor flickering as well. are your computer equipments on a surge protector? The reason I suggested just buying a new mobo immediatley and selling the other one when its fixed is because mobo warranty processing in my experience can take weeks. I know its lame, but *** happens. Sounds like you got maybe an electrical issue in your house. Get the landlord to buy you a new comp.