Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

<1k i5 gaming build, need help!

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 22, 2011 6:30:00 PM

Using this primarily for gaming. Games like: SC2, HoN, CS:S @ 1920x1080. This will be my first custom build. Am I missing anything and do you have suggestions for how I can improve this build and decrease the price?

1) Intel i5-2500k: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $224.99
2) Biostar TH67+ LGA 1155: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $104.99
3) 2x G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $109.98
4) 2x XFX HD-577A Radeon HD 5770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $279.98
5) WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $87.99
6) Raidmax Hybrid 630Watt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $49.98
7) Cooler Master Hyper 212: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $34.99
8) Antec 900 black steel case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99

Total: $992.89
:D 

More about : gaming build

March 22, 2011 6:53:22 PM

1) you need a better mobo. The one you chose for crossfire will not work well because of the x16/x4 lanes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
most of the good mobos are sold out on newegg so you might need to go somewhere like tigerdirect or amazon to get it.

2) 4gb is enough for memory.

3) Not only are the gpu's you picked out outdated, they are overpriced, and for your budget a single card solution is better than crossfire.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4) cheaper faster driver: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5) Try to buy a power supply from a good name brand because they have less failure and can handle load without breaking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This one will let you crossfire in the future should you need another card.

Also make sure you buy an ODD and have an os ready to install so you can actually use your new computer :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 22, 2011 7:06:27 PM

The Intel® Core™ I5 2500k is a great processor to build around. Question for you, are you planning on running your games off from Intel HD graphics 3000 on that processor? If so then you want to stay with a board with the H67 chipset. On the other hand if you are planning to overclock or add in an aftermarket video card then you might find a board based off from the P67 to be a better option for you.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
0
l
Related resources
March 22, 2011 7:13:16 PM

Yes intel enthusiast. He is buying 2 HD 5770s but he wants to game on your crappy integrated processor... that makes perfect sense!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 22, 2011 7:13:34 PM

What's your resolution ? Without knowing that nobody can honestly give you advice.

That Asrock mobo in this build should be back on newegg in the next week or two and for cheaper.

This build includes a factory over clocked gtx 560, after market cpu h/s (thermal paste included), Windows 7, etc..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.95 - $44.95 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $64.99 FREE SHIPPING
Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67P3B3&tit... $132.99
ASRock P67 Pro3 B3 LGA1155/ Intel P67 B3/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard - P67PRO3 B3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$8.00 Combo Price: $246.98
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $49.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $244.99
GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $17.99 Free shipping w/ promo code EMCKGJE65, ends 3/21
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$5.00 Combo Price: $159.98 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Total: $972.86 *not including shipping, rebates, promo codes, etc..

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASRock-P67-Pro3-... <----- Review of that Asrock Pro 3 mobo
m
0
l
March 22, 2011 7:15:37 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
The Intel® Core™ I5 2500k is a great processor to build around. Question for you, are you planning on running your games off from Intel HD graphics 3000 on that processor? If so then you want to stay with a board with the H67 chipset. On the other hand if you are planning to overclock or add in an aftermarket video card then you might find a board based off from the P67 to be a better option for you.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team



I'm not sure I understand the question. Would you mind explaining the difference? Does the i5 have some kind of on board video card?
m
0
l
March 22, 2011 7:17:59 PM

Why_Me said:
What's your resolution ? Without knowing that nobody can honestly give you advice.

That Asrock mobo in this build should be back on newegg in the next week or two and for cheaper.

This build includes a factory over clocked gtx 560, after market cpu h/s (thermal paste included), Windows 7, etc..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.95 - $44.95 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $64.99 FREE SHIPPING
Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67P3B3&tit... $132.99
ASRock P67 Pro3 B3 LGA1155/ Intel P67 B3/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard - P67PRO3 B3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$8.00 Combo Price: $246.98
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $49.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $244.99
GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $17.99 Free shipping w/ promo code EMCKGJE65, ends 3/21
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$5.00 Combo Price: $159.98 FREE SHIPPING
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Total: $972.86 *not including shipping, rebates, promo codes, etc..

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASRock-P67-Pro3-... <----- Review of that Asrock Pro 3 mobo


My resolution is 1920 x 1080
m
0
l
March 22, 2011 8:00:31 PM

bavman said:
1) you need a better mobo. The one you chose for crossfire will not work well because of the x16/x4 lanes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
most of the good mobos are sold out on newegg so you might need to go somewhere like tigerdirect or amazon to get it.

2) 4gb is enough for memory.

3) Not only are the gpu's you picked out outdated, they are overpriced, and for your budget a single card solution is better than crossfire.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4) cheaper faster driver: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

5) Try to buy a power supply from a good name brand because they have less failure and can handle load without breaking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This one will let you crossfire in the future should you need another card.

Also make sure you buy an ODD and have an os ready to install so you can actually use your new computer :) 

ty!
m
0
l
March 22, 2011 8:18:34 PM

fehs said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. Would you mind explaining the difference? Does the i5 have some kind of on board video card?


Yes the i5/i7 have on board intel hd 3000. But gaming wise, they are useless. A p67 chipset will automatically disable these graphics which is completely fine because you'll have a dedicated graphics card anyways. And im guessing your planning on overclocking since you got a k series an a cooler, so stay with the p67 boards.
m
0
l
March 22, 2011 9:20:28 PM

bavman said:
Yes the i5/i7 have on board intel hd 3000. But gaming wise, they are useless. A p67 chipset will automatically disable these graphics which is completely fine because you'll have a dedicated graphics card anyways. And im guessing your planning on overclocking since you got a k series an a cooler, so stay with the p67 boards.


Yes, you're right on both counts. After reading your suggestions my build looks like this:

1) Intel i5-2500k: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115072 $224.99

2) ASUS P8P67-M PRO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $149.99

3) XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $244.00

4) Samsung Spinpoint F3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $64.99

5) 2x G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231313 $109.98

6) Antec TruePower 750W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99

7) Cooler Master Hyper 212: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $34.99

8) Antec Three Hundred Black Steel: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.95

Total: ~$980
m
0
l
March 22, 2011 11:59:54 PM

any input on the new config? it's for gaming on a 1920x1028
m
0
l
March 23, 2011 2:01:12 AM

Again, 8gb ram is not needed, you could get away with 4gb easily and save the money. But everything else looks good.
m
0
l
!