Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quiet Multi-Monitor Multi-tasking System Needed

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2011 6:54:03 PM

Hello All:

Let me first start by saying that I have about $3000 to spend on a home-built (or vendor-built if more advantageous) computer.

I need a new system! OK, let me correct that- I WANT a new system!

My current system is using an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 CPU at 2.66 GHz 800MHz with 4.00 GB of Kingston RAM on a 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate O/S. I am using two 500 GB WD 7K 8M SATA2 hard drives in a non-RAID configuration. I have two 8500GT VGA GIGA GV-NX85T512HP video cards. The MB is an ASUS P5N-E SLI NF650I SLI 775.

It cost me about $900 at the time not including case, power supply and 27in Samsung monitor (I ordered those components separately and used older 19in monitors). This was not a top of the line system when I ordered it in October of 2007, but it has served me well for 3.5 years. As you can see I am not a big gamer or I would have been very frustrated.

I have built one system in the past and therefore still consider myself a computer building novice and need the help of the expert computer building community to optimize my creation!

My new system will be mostly used to support multi-tasking projects (but I want it to be able to run a Microsoft flight simulator at the highest settings on occasion and Blu-ray movies to include 3D).

Additionally, I want the computer to be able to support at least six monitors. That is correct. I like to use many monitors. This will probably mean at least four 19-24in and at least two 27+ in monitors. I currently use three monitors. One 27in. Samsung SyncMaster 275r and two 19 in Flatron L1910S and L1915S LG displays. All are getting kind of old, but I will probably keep them all (I can always put a document on an old 19in monitor in my opinion). The 27in can use VGA and DVI connectors while the older 19in LG monitors still use VGA only (maybe I should just get rid of the older monitors?)

Mostly, I will be opening multiple word documents in conjunction with adobe documents and often running 15 or more websites on various browsers while conducting research (I know that is boring but please forgive me).
Additionally, I often watch streaming videos (Blu-ray, HD, streaming Netflix, iTunes, etc.) for both academic and recreational purposes sometimes while the other Microsoft Office and browser applications are running.

My older is a mid-range 2007 home built PC and is having problems with such multi-tasking expectations.

Oh, I would also would like my computer to be as quiet as possible without sacrificing significant performance!

I would also like this computer to last for the next four years without regretting my purchase.

Therefore, this novice computer builder was thinking the following questions:
-Should I get a newer Six Core Intel processor or a more conservative Quad Core Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz? Which motherboard is best to support whichever decision we make?

-Would you suggest an eyefinitiy 6 ATI Radeon Graphics card or many NVIDIA cards such as three GTX 560 Ti overclocked cards in a Mother Board which would support such graphics?

Perhaps you would recommend something completely different-that is fine- I just started researching this during the weekend and otherwise do not keep up with the latest Graphics cards etc.

The key is that I want at least six monitors to function well in a multi-tasking environment and then at least one or two monitors should function well when I use the flight simulator or 3D Blu-ray (the more the better for flight-Sim or the occasional game).

I am willing to SLI or Crossfire the cards for special occasions as necessary to maximize performance and then revert to the non-SLI or non-Crossfire modes for multi-tasking research assignments (i.e. multiple-monitors). In the end I want six monitors that that can run many applications simultaneously without drag!

I have read about users having issues with mini-display port connectors not working particularly well with VGA and DVI adapters so I am a little skeptical about the ATI Radeon Eyefinity 6 models- Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences? In the end- what is the best way to support at least six monitors with maximum benefit? Many NVIDIA or the Eyefinity solution? Or PNY solutions?

If I get another 27 in monitor and a few 19-24 in monitors- which are your favorite brands? Should I get stands to hold the monitors at a particular vendor? I was thinking of two 19-24 inch monitors stacked on top of each other at the left and right far ends with two 27in monitors stacked on top of each other in the middle.

-An Antec Performance One Series P193 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer case or some other case known for reducing noise would be best, but I am open for suggestions.
I heard that the Antec CP-850W Continuous Power CPX SLI certified CrossFire Ready was a good product- maybe I should consider a bigger power supply? Different brand?

-I assume that I will be using 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate (just because I like using Ultimate).

-How much RAM should I have and what kind of RAM? I was thinking of at least 12 GB?

-Should I use SSD? 80GB? 120GB? I like quick boot times and I would like for my office documents, browsers, readers and other multi-tasking projects to react quickly. If I use SSD which brand should I use and how much should I use and why? Should I wait for the next generation as I heard that faster SSDs are to be released very shortly- this is not an urgent build.

-What about hard drive speed, brand, and capacity? I would like a quick system since I hate the lag time when I open or close applications; videos etc. when I have many things open on many monitors. Speed is more important than reliability since I will back up my important data on external hard drives and remote storage regularly.

Would it be good for me to get 3-5 hard drives at 7200-1000 RPM in Raid 0? How is the combination of SSD and RAID optimized? Maybe it would be better for me to forget the SSD and get a good high speed RAID 0 or vice versa? Maybe it would be good to have a combination of both to optimize boot speed and then application performance?

Well- those are my thoughts. I would appreciate any advice. I think that with my desires it will be a lot cheaper if I build this on my own. If you think it would be better for me to go to a vendor- please just let me know!
Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Regards,
TT
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2011 8:13:46 PM

Here's the thing. AMD GPUs don't support 3D displays (yet?), and NVidia will but you can only support 2 displays with an SLI configuration. You'd need to run each GPU separately to power 6 displays (like 3x560s). Your GPUs will determine your PSU for the most part.

If you want the 3D Vision, Asus makes the 23.6" VG236H, which is a fantastic monitor (using one as we speak). I thought there was a 27" model coming out, but I'm not sure. Remember, you'll need 3D compatible displays to use 3D Vision.

Cyberlink's Power DVD 10 Ultra 3D is good at playing blurays in 3D, but NVidia's software will only playback 3D Blurays (NOT regular Blurays).

Dell makes very good displays. Take a look at their E-series. They tend to have LED backlighting (model dependent), and they are VESA 100x100 compliant which makes finding a multimonitor stand easier.

I wouldn't waste any money on Ultimate; with your use, you get nothing out of it. Get Pro at the most (you can buy it from theultimatesteal.com for $65 if you're a student), since you'll still most of the important features from Ultimate that you don't get with Home Premium.

Technically, the i7-2600K is newer than the i7-900 series 6-core. If you can wait until summer-ish, the replacement to the i7-900s should be arriving.
Another consideration is the number of PCI-Express x16 slots that are available on the motherboard. I think the X58 chipset is the only chipset that can support 3 x16 slots, so that may limit your build to the i7-900 series.

Depending on which chipset you go with (P67 or X58), I'd suggest 8-12GB RAM.

I would definitely get at least a 64GB SSD, and that can hold your OS, drivers, and Office 2010 easily. Then, use one or more HDDs to store all of the files. Get something like the Samsung F3 1TB drives; they're the fastest platter-based drives out there.
March 23, 2011 7:05:36 AM

boiler1990 said:
Here's the thing. AMD GPUs don't support 3D displays (yet?), and NVidia will but you can only support 2 displays with an SLI configuration. You'd need to run each GPU separately to power 6 displays (like 3x560s). Your GPUs will determine your PSU for the most part.

If you want the 3D Vision, Asus makes the 23.6" VG236H, which is a fantastic monitor (using one as we speak). I thought there was a 27" model coming out, but I'm not sure. Remember, you'll need 3D compatible displays to use 3D Vision.

Cyberlink's Power DVD 10 Ultra 3D is good at playing blurays in 3D, but NVidia's software will only playback 3D Blurays (NOT regular Blurays).

Dell makes very good displays. Take a look at their E-series. They tend to have LED backlighting (model dependent), and they are VESA 100x100 compliant which makes finding a multimonitor stand easier.

I wouldn't waste any money on Ultimate; with your use, you get nothing out of it. Get Pro at the most (you can buy it from theultimatesteal.com for $65 if you're a student), since you'll still most of the important features from Ultimate that you don't get with Home Premium.

Technically, the i7-2600K is newer than the i7-900 series 6-core. If you can wait until summer-ish, the replacement to the i7-900s should be arriving.
Another consideration is the number of PCI-Express x16 slots that are available on the motherboard. I think the X58 chipset is the only chipset that can support 3 x16 slots, so that may limit your build to the i7-900 series.

Depending on which chipset you go with (P67 or X58), I'd suggest 8-12GB RAM.

I would definitely get at least a 64GB SSD, and that can hold your OS, drivers, and Office 2010 easily. Then, use one or more HDDs to store all of the files. Get something like the Samsung F3 1TB drives; they're the fastest platter-based drives out there.

Thank you boiler for all of the advice.

I will look at the components that you suggested and all of your recommendations while making my decision.

TT

Related resources
March 23, 2011 6:20:38 PM

I would say get two 560Ti GPUs and two USB to VGA adapters. This way you can have 6 monitors on the new P67 board without a issue. Or you can wait to see what X67 boards will have on them.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 25, 2011 2:50:08 PM

a couple notes:

boiler1990 gives some good advice. you should really read up on 3D, Surround and Eyefinitiy so you know what each of these is.

3D requires a 3D monitor (single, only works on one) this is a FAD I wouldn't buy into it.

Surround and the Eyefinity both require that the monitors used be all the same resolution.

Nvidia Surround is 3 monitors side by side 3x1 (portrait is also supported it think) the image is spread out across them. requires 2 GPU's which connect right the dvi ports on the cards. (very simple) surround mode is selected in Win7, just like SLi. as for as I know you can run addtional monitors, just not when doing surround.

Eyefinity Surround (called eyefinity group) is up to 6 monitors (same resolution) the image is spread out the same way (portrait or lanscape), but can be 3x1 row, 3x1 row +1 or 3, 3x2 rows, 5x1 rows, 2x2 rows +2. you can also have "+
" extended monitors that aren't part of the surround display( these can be different sizes and resolutions).
the draw back is that each monitor past the first 2 will need to run off the display port adapters (addtional cost). Eyefinity only requires one +5000 or 6000 series GPU card. supports Crossfire tech.

I hope I got that all right.

then there is also the Matrox Triplehead2go: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

I prefer the simple nVidia solution. I'm not an ATI fan.

you need to decide what you really want to be able to do with your 6 monitors before we can help with a solution. the surround and eyefinity groups require a little graphic horsepower for gaming and benifit from GPU with 2Gb of ram on them.

March 27, 2011 11:12:25 AM

christiangordon said:
I would say get two 560Ti GPUs and two USB to VGA adapters. This way you can have 6 monitors on the new P67 board without a issue. Or you can wait to see what X67 boards will have on them.

Christiangordo,

Thank you for the response. I like the idea of two 560ti s, but I am a little concerned that usb to VGA adapters will have a significant performance lag. This will not be too significant if I just use them those additional monitors for displaying documents or websites when I am doing research, so maybe that is the best cost/benefit solution if I want more than four monitors. It is my current assumption that I can run four monitors with two 560 ti s usinging Windows 7's extended desktop feature.

Thanks for the advice.

yelankan1206
March 27, 2011 11:18:02 AM

jerreddredd said:
here is a truly silent case for you.

http://www.quietpc.com/us-en-usd/products/pc-cases/fd-d...

jerreddred

Thank you for the suggestion. I had not looked at this case. It seems to be a good competitor to the Antec 193 v3. The only thing that it doesnt have are USB 3 ports on the front, but the board I am thinking about getting, a gigabyte Sniper, has an adapter that fits on one of the front slots so that would not be a problem. Another advantage of the cases you recommend are that they come in an XL size so if I want a larger case than the Antec p193 v3, then that might be my option. I wonder if anyone has heard both systems in person and could make a judgement?

Thank you for the suggestion!

Regards,

yelankan1206
March 27, 2011 11:55:28 AM

jerreddredd said:
a couple notes:

boiler1990 gives some good advice. you should really read up on 3D, Surround and Eyefinitiy so you know what each of these is.

3D requires a 3D monitor (single, only works on one) this is a FAD I wouldn't buy into it.

Surround and the Eyefinity both require that the monitors used be all the same resolution.

Nvidia Surround is 3 monitors side by side 3x1 (portrait is also supported it think) the image is spread out across them. requires 2 GPU's which connect right the dvi ports on the cards. (very simple) surround mode is selected in Win7, just like SLi. as for as I know you can run addtional monitors, just not when doing surround.

Eyefinity Surround (called eyefinity group) is up to 6 monitors (same resolution) the image is spread out the same way (portrait or lanscape), but can be 3x1 row, 3x1 row +1 or 3, 3x2 rows, 5x1 rows, 2x2 rows +2. you can also have "+
" extended monitors that aren't part of the surround display( these can be different sizes and resolutions).
the draw back is that each monitor past the first 2 will need to run off the display port adapters (addtional cost). Eyefinity only requires one +5000 or 6000 series GPU card. supports Crossfire tech.

I hope I got that all right.

then there is also the Matrox Triplehead2go: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

I prefer the simple nVidia solution. I'm not an ATI fan.

you need to decide what you really want to be able to do with your 6 monitors before we can help with a solution. the surround and eyefinity groups require a little graphic horsepower for gaming and benifit from GPU with 2Gb of ram on them.

Jerreddred

Thanks for the additional advice. You enlightened me on the differences between surround and eyefinitiy and made me realize there was more to this than I surmised.

It was never my intent to play a game on all monitors at once (although now that I've see it on youtube I think it is very cool that we can do that).

Nonethless, my intent was to just have extended desktop space for a maximum of six monitors.

I am torn between going with one ati eyefinity 6 or two to three nvidia gtx 560 ti s.

I already have one samsung synchmaster 275t monitor and was thinking that two additional LG 27in monitors with LED backlighting and a setting that allows for windows to divide the space up easily allowing for maximizing of two web-pages without adjustment might be the way to go (about $50 each on newegg).

Since that would entail three 27in monitors and I still have two older 19in monitors (all lcd) that would bring my total to five monitors.

I am a little afraid that the eyefinity (5 or 6) ati grapics cards might not properly allow for me to connect all of the monitors (as i think you also mentioned). I also know that I will have to buy some additional adapters with the ATI card since it used a mini display port interface (I know it comes with some adapters but not all).

Additionally, some of my friends, like you, prefer Nvidia, but I know that is probably a debate like apple and PC- some love them and some hate them and we probably are not going to resolve that issue!

My gut feeling is that I should get two Nvidia 560 ti cards to run three 27 in monitors. Then, I could attach one of the 19 in lcds to the last 560 ti port (dvi to vga adapter) and add a usb to vga adapter for the last 19 in monitor (if that usb adapters are renowned to perform poorly keep in mind that it would primarily be displaying text- but is adding another 560 ti worth the cost?).

That would allow me to have significant space (more than most people think I would need, but hell, its my computer!) and it would allow me to use the three primary 27 in monitors in surround mode for flight simulator or another graphics intensive game should I desire (although as I have admitted I am not a real gammer-once every few months max).

I will use advice from all of these posts before making a decision. Thank you Jerreddred and everyone else for the great assistance so far!!

Regards

yelankan

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2011 3:45:38 PM

yelankan1213 said:
Jerreddred

Thanks for the additional advice. You enlightened me on the differences between surround and eyefinitiy and made me realize there was more to this than I surmised.

My gut feeling is that I should get two Nvidia 560 ti cards to run three 27 in monitors. Then, I could attach one of the 19 in lcds to the last 560 ti port (dvi to vga adapter) and add a usb to vga adapter for the last 19 in monitor (if that usb adapters are renowned to perform poorly keep in mind that it would primarily be displaying text- but is adding another 560 ti worth the cost?).

I will use advice from all of these posts before making a decision. Thank you Jerreddred and everyone else for the great assistance so far!!

Regards

yelankan

your welcome.

I think your spot on with the two 560 Ti's, but why not, just in case build with a 3 way board. that way later you can add the other GPU if you want. you can actually use your 8500GT if you just want to display a text documents, surf the net etc..

Core i5/i7 LGA 1155 (Sandy Bridge) motherboards:

ATX 3 way SLI/Xfire x4x4x4
ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
N82E16813157240
$249.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME6 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
N82E16813157231
$219.99

This is a very unique board you can mix and match NVidia and ATI card and using XFire/SLi:
ECS Black Extreme P67H2-A Hydra LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
N82E16813135282
$289.99
here is a review- http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/ecs-p67h2-a-black-extrem...

here is what I would build: (Newegg.com)

Case:
Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
N82E16811352002
$110 (comes in all white, all black, and black with silver or grey front panels also).

Addtional silent fans:
XIGMATEK eXTREME SILENT Series XSF-F1452 140mm Case Fan
N82E16835233086
9.99 x 3
$29.97
XIGMATEK eXTREME SILENT Series XSF-F1252 120mm Case Fan
N82E16835233084
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
N82E16819115070
$328.99
MB
your choice of the above 3 way mother boards
($219-$289)
CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler ( the Stock should be ok, but this one is very quiet)
$75
Ram
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (Red)
N82E16820231428
$99.99
PSU
SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (low noise) N82E16817256057
$185
GPU
ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB (has a stock silent cooler, 9" long)
N82E16814121424
$259.99 x2
$519.98
SSD
Corsair Force CSSD-F115GB2-BRKT-A 2.5" 115GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
N82E16820233160
$219.99
HD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
N82E16822152238
$99.99
Blu Ray DVD/CD
LG Black 12X BD-R SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
N82E16827136226
$109.99
OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit System Builders - OEM ( professional is all you really need, saves $40)
N82E16832116762
$179.99
-----------
$2247 with the most expensive MB. leaves $1000 for monitors.

other options:
instead of ASUS GPU's
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB (has a stock silent cooler, 9" long)
N82E16814127565
$249.99 x2

Add 8 more GB of ram:
N82E16820231428
$99.99

Use Stock CPU cooler (save $75)

March 27, 2011 7:55:12 PM

All,

So far based upon the advice I am piecing together the following list- please tell me if you would choose something else and why or if the components I am thinkging of using are known to be incompatible etc. Thanks in advance.

Intel core i7-970 processor bx80613i7970 $594

Gigabyte G1 Sniper APU ATX DDR3 2200 LGA 1366 Motherboard $449
(I know i could get a cheaper board, but this one had good reviews, sound chip etc already included- I am really not experienced in selecting boards so this board might be off base or too much for my needs- with the magazine and gun heat sinks, it does seem like I might be paying for "design" over function. You thoughts?)

2X- MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI Twin Frozr II oc $500 ($249 each)

Antec Extended ATX Case P193 V3 $181

Antec CP-1000 80 Plus 1000W Power Supply $144
(Should I go with the CP850 instead- I just wanted the option of adding another Graphics Card if I thought I needed three later and I figured 1000W might be necessary)

2 X LG E2750VR-SN Black 27" 1920 x 1080 5ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 5,000,000:1 (DFC) $419

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL

DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Timing 9-9-9-24 Cas Latency 9 Cas Latency: 9 $334
Voltage: 1.5V
Multi-channel Kit: Hexa-Channel Kit
Timing: 9-9-9-24
Model #: F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231359
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

(Would it be better for me to get DDR3 2200 RAM instead of DDR3 1600? I am not certain what big of a difference other than price that it will make- the Gigabyte Motherboard says that it supports 2200 1600 and 1333, but is there another stat that I have to look for?- So is it better to get 8GB of DDR3 at 2200 or 24GB of DDR3 at 1600?)

Plextor PX-M2 Series PX-128M2S 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $279 (It had five star reviews on newegg but i really don't know SSDs well)

2 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $65 (Can I put these in RAID 0 even if I am using one SATA 3 connector and one SATA 2 connector- Would it matter?)

HP 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA BD Combo Model BD240I-h01 LightScribe Support $80

O/S Windows 7 Premium OEM (cheapest I can get it)

I also might invest in some sound dampening materials from quietpc just to make it a little more quiet.

OK- Am I missing anything- If you really object to any of my choices just say so- that is why I am putting this on the forum. I am a novice so please take a look to see if I will have any compatibility issues or if I am getting components that will not add speed due to a bottleneck elsewhere. Remember, this is not a gaming system, but I will have five monitors and many applications open simultaneously and I would like to play flight simulator on high setting every so often. I play some MORGs like everquest etc. once in a while as well.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Regards

TT (yelankan1213)

March 27, 2011 8:12:05 PM

jerreddredd said:
your welcome.

I think your spot on with the two 560 Ti's, but why not, just in case build with a 3 way board. that way later you can add the other GPU if you want. you can actually use your 8500GT if you just want to display a text documents, surf the net etc..

Core i5/i7 LGA 1155 (Sandy Bridge) motherboards:

ATX 3 way SLI/Xfire x4x4x4
ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
N82E16813157240
$249.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME6 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
N82E16813157231
$219.99

This is a very unique board you can mix and match NVidia and ATI card and using XFire/SLi:
ECS Black Extreme P67H2-A Hydra LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
N82E16813135282
$289.99
here is a review- http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/ecs-p67h2-a-black-extrem...

here is what I would build: (Newegg.com)

Case:
Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
N82E16811352002
$110 (comes in all white, all black, and black with silver or grey front panels also).

Addtional silent fans:
XIGMATEK eXTREME SILENT Series XSF-F1452 140mm Case Fan
N82E16835233086
9.99 x 3
$29.97
XIGMATEK eXTREME SILENT Series XSF-F1252 120mm Case Fan
N82E16835233084
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
N82E16819115070
$328.99
MB
your choice of the above 3 way mother boards
($219-$289)
CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler ( the Stock should be ok, but this one is very quiet)
$75
Ram
N82E16820231428
$99.99
PSU
SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (low noise) N82E16817256057
$185
GPU
ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB (has a stock silent cooler, 9" long)
N82E16814121424
$259.99 x2
$519.98
SSD
Corsair Force CSSD-F115GB2-BRKT-A 2.5" 115GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
N82E16820233160
$219.99
HD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
N82E16822152238
$99.99
Blu Ray DVD/CD
LG Black 12X BD-R SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
N82E16827136226
$109.99
OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit System Builders - OEM ( professional is all you really need, saves $40)
N82E16832116762
$179.99
-----------
$2247 with the most expensive MB. leaves $1000 for monitors.

other options:
instead of ASUS GPU's
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB (has a stock silent cooler, 9" long)
N82E16814127565
$249.99 x2

Add 8 more GB of ram:
N82E16820231428
$99.99

Use Stock CPU cooler (save $75)

JD

Thanks for the detailed listing for the build. I just posted my draft build but it is still completely a DRAFT- I did not notice your post with this information before I completed my reply complete with parts. I will take a look at your components and compare them with my first draft. I did not start cutting costs due to my $3000 budget so I think that you did a better job on constructing a build so far.

Thanks again for all of the assistance-
I am still thinking about the fractal design case since it looks far better than the Antec p193 in my opinion, but I wonder if the CP850 or CP1000 will be quieter or if the Antec in general will be more quiet due to its three panel design- then again, the fractal design r3 does have the sound dampening material already installed.

I noticed that you went with the i7 2600 quad sandy bridge- I was thinking about that one too since I would save a few hundred doallars. I wonder how much the extra two cores on the i7 970 will bring me if i spend the money- Maybe I will take your suggestion, especially since I am spending money on the monitors.

I will review it some more when I have a little more time later. Thanks again.

TT Yelankan1213
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2011 8:35:26 PM

I would recommend something along the lines of jerreddredd's build. Pass on the i7-970; the i7-2600k runs laps around everything except the i7-980/990X. If you're only sticking with 2 GPUs, you don't need to get a 3-way SLI board.

You'll have enough money left over to get monitors like the Dell U2311, which run ~$280. They are some of the best displays out there.
March 27, 2011 8:56:55 PM

boiler1990 said:
I would recommend something along the lines of jerreddredd's build. Pass on the i7-970; the i7-2600k runs laps around everything except the i7-980/990X. If you're only sticking with 2 GPUs, you don't need to get a 3-way SLI board.

You'll have enough money left over to get monitors like the Dell U2311, which run ~$280. They are some of the best displays out there.

Thanks for the quick feedback boiler. I think I will go with the i7 2600 and save the money. Also, thanks again for the monitor suggestion- I really have not researched that too deeply yet-

Regards,

TT
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2011 7:55:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick feedback boiler. I think I will go with the i7 2600 and save the money. Also, thanks again for the monitor suggestion- I really have not researched that too deeply yet-

2 additional cores wont help you see any performance increase in your stated use, 4 cores will be fine and save you some $.

Quote:
OK- Am I missing anything- If you really object to any of my choices just say so- that is why I am putting this on the forum. I am a novice so please take a look to see if I will have any compatibility issues or if I am getting components that will not add speed due to a bottleneck elsewhere. Remember, this is not a gaming system, but I will have five monitors and many applications open simultaneously and I would like to play flight simulator on high setting every so often. I play some MORGs like everquest etc. once in a while as well.

See comments below:

Quote:
Antec Extended ATX Case P193 V3 $181

with the wall between the PSU and MB area you will be limited to a single slot GPU in the 3rd PCIe slot and it won't get much air. which is fine for a 3rd GPU that you are just used for Text display/web browsing.

Quote:
Antec CP-1000 80 Plus 1000W Power Supply $144
(Should I go with the CP850 instead- I just wanted the option of adding another Graphics Card if I thought I needed three later and I figured 1000W might be necessary)

neither PSU above support 3 GPUS without using an adapter. power wise for eventual use of 3 GPU's get the 1000w PSU. After all, bigger is better right?.

Quote:
(Would it be better for me to get DDR3 2200 RAM instead of DDR3 1600? I am not certain what big of a difference other than price that it will make- the Gigabyte Motherboard says that it supports 2200 1600 and 1333, but is there another stat that I have to look for?- So is it better to get 8GB of DDR3 at 2200 or 24GB of DDR3 at 1600?)

i7 2600k P67 chipset runs memory at 1333Mhz with mild OC adjustments in the bios it will run 1600Mhz. with your intended use there is no need for anything above 1600. if you are not OC'ing, buy 1333.

also the p67 will only support dual channel memory. so go with 4gb x 4 for 16Gb's this plenty for your intended use, you 8Gb's woudl be fine also.

If your not OCing, then use these. they are CL7 and will perform very well:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH (BlK/Blue)
N82E16820231440
$104.99 x2 +$209.98

If you want to mild OC then go for these:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (Blue)
N82E16820231445
$129.99

Quote:
Plextor PX-M2 Series PX-128M2S 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $279 (It had five star reviews on newegg but i really don't know SSDs well)

Plextor drives are very slow for normal reads/writes (4k), those number they post are for large files. go with an SSD that uses the SandForce controller.
Plextor
Sequential Access - Read 420MB/s
Sequential Access - Write 210MB/s
Random Read (IOPS 4K): 15,000
Random Write (IOPS 4K): 9,000

Corsair Force Series. (most SandForce SSD's Gskill,Mushkin,Patriot) will perform about the same with 34nm NAND memory not 25nm)
Sequential Access - Read: up to 280MB/s
Sequential Access - Write: up to 270MB/s
Random Write 4K: 50,000

Quote:
2 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $65 (Can I put these in RAID 0 even if I am using one SATA 3 connector and one SATA 2 connector- Would it matter?)

To mix SSD and HD's using Raid you will want a MB with two SATA controllers. Both the ASRock 3 way boards have Two SATA controllers. you would connect your SSD to the Marvell controller in AHCI mode, then set up your RAID on the Intel P67 SATA controller. yes you can hook up to SATA 6G and 3G in the same raid as far as I know.

hope this helps some.

March 29, 2011 9:59:05 AM

Since money don't seem to be the bottle neck of this build, I would get 3 SSD's, put them on raid 0 and just use a USB hard drive to store stuff.
March 31, 2011 8:09:22 PM

punnar said:
Since money don't seem to be the bottle neck of this build, I would get 3 SSD's, put them on raid 0 and just use a USB hard drive to store stuff.

I don't know punnar. Money still plays a role. I could take some of the savings from the extra SSD drives and put it towards buying a few DELL 27in Monitors or perhaps even the top of the line $1400 dell 30in monitor.

Of course, your advice is well received and I will consider the three drive RAID zero configuration. However, I think that my limited gaming needs practically eliminate the need for such devices in RAID 0.

I had to work this week, but I imaging that I will review the good advice of jerreddredd and boiler amongst the others here in order to get the biggest bang for the buck in computer components and then put the savings into the monitors.

Take a look at the antec 193 and the Fractal design define XL and R3 and let me know which one you would get. Maybe I should look at a completely different case?

Hell- maybe I'll just go out and buy an iMac! Anyone got any good iMac configuration advice?

TT
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2011 8:26:20 PM

yelankan1213 said:
Hell- maybe I'll just go out and buy an iMac! Anyone got any good iMac configuration advice?

TT

ROFLMAO!
April 9, 2011 10:44:02 AM

Best answer selected by yelankan1213.
!