Worth getting a new monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alobino

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hello, I have purchased the GTX 460 1GB card and I really like it. I only just installed it and I think the max resolution of my monitor is 1680x1050!

Is it worth getting a new monitor for better effects? (1920 res one)

the game I play the most is World of Warcraft.

thanks in advance :)

Solution
you have a good system there, a little dated, esp the ddr2.. that said your gpu will suppport dx11 and WoW runs better in DX11, so i have two sugggestions

don't know if you have the cash now or not... but if you do i would suggest a good cpu cooler and a overclock on the cpu, and windows 7 64 bit so you can utilize dx11 (you can also do it in vista 64... but really since 7 is out why only upgrade to the previous OS)

add* both of those should help alot, WoW only uses three cores, but likes fast cpu clocks, i believe your cpu is currently your bottleneck , though i think it should be preforming better, i would also suggest uninstalling all gpu drivers, run drive sweeper in safe mode then a fresh install on the gpu

cthunder067

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Honestly, That all depends on you. Yes upgrading to a 1920 res monitor would be really sweet. But first you have to ask yourself the following ....

1) Do I really need a new monitor
2) Is it in your budget
3) Will I just be using this monitor just to play WoW or will I be using it for gaming and movies.

If you feel you need a new monitor then I would take a look at these 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236067

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052

And if prefer a true 24 in monitor, I hear this one is great for gaming. But besides the size and being glossy I really don't see much of a difference. But I could be wrong. Plus there is no rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
yes, we actually met playing WoW too she came to a guild party in fl at my place just to meet guildies (nothing els eplanned just a meet and greet) and i was expecting a short geeky girl with glasses.. i got a 5' 11" 115lb blue eyed blonde with nice long legs... we hit it off and now are married

whats wrogn with playign WoW anyway, its a fun cheap entertainment... granted we aren't liek hardcore raiders who only live to play (just hit 85 this weekend) , btu its fun for a good 10ish hours a week entertainment

Helltech

Distinguished
If you use a LOT of UI mods like I used to the more resolution the better. You can get more addons to you UI with a higher resolution. Depending on how big you are into raiding and what not more resolution can help you a lot.

alobino

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
thanks all :)

Yea I am into raiding and I raid 5 days a week, it's pretty much what I do when I am not working..

I do use a lot of addons. Yesterday I raided for the first time on the new card and it looked nice, every option in "video" was set to "high" or "ultra" and I got a good 35-40 fps in a 25 man raid.

What I am really afraid of, is getting less fps on a 1920 resolution.. Or then, maybe running 1920 resolution with lowering the options in "video" may even look better.

Opinions?

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I'd rather run the smaller resolution with maxed settings than run a higher resolution with lowered settings. Sure you might see a little more, but if you're going to compromise image quality, why see more "ugly" with a larger res? Though since it's only WoW, you should still have playable frame rates despite the resolution increase. If you can, try to buy a 1080p monitor and just return it if you're not satisfied. At least you will be able to personally experience it.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
a gtx 460 should be able to push WoW at ultra at 1920 x1080 very well, whats the rest of the system like? there has to be something bottlenecking, WoW like s a fast cpu post some specs and mayeb we can identify the bottleneck

Until he goes to play a much more demanding game and finds out his 460 falls to it's knees. I would stay with the monitor you have until you upgrade to a faster card.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

sounds like as he says he raids 5 days a week (takes alot of time to do that ) so he's probably nto playing nay more demanding games... so his card is actually at least imo a good fit. no he won't be rocking crysis 2 in 3d at max settings and 1920 x 1080 (i'm hoping my sli gts 450's can pull medium settings at 1920x1080 with no 3d)... but if all he plays is wow that probably doesn't matter to him so a better monitor would be fine for the card

though like i said he should be gettting better performance so still curious what the res tof his system is like cpu/mobo ram psu full system list plz :D

alobino

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
hi, here's my system specs:

Processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7383 1.0
Bus Clock: 267 megahertz
Memory: 6 GB DDR2
Display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Psu: Litepower 600W

Thanks, looking forward to your reply. And yea I only play WoW on this PC.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
you have a good system there, a little dated, esp the ddr2.. that said your gpu will suppport dx11 and WoW runs better in DX11, so i have two sugggestions

don't know if you have the cash now or not... but if you do i would suggest a good cpu cooler and a overclock on the cpu, and windows 7 64 bit so you can utilize dx11 (you can also do it in vista 64... but really since 7 is out why only upgrade to the previous OS)

add* both of those should help alot, WoW only uses three cores, but likes fast cpu clocks, i believe your cpu is currently your bottleneck , though i think it should be preforming better, i would also suggest uninstalling all gpu drivers, run drive sweeper in safe mode then a fresh install on the gpu

Solution
Yes your cpu is a bottleneck at 2.4

I really don't think your going to get much of a overclock with 667 memory. You can try, just make sure you set the dram ratio so that the ram doesn't run over 700mhz.

If you try to run the ram over 700mhz it likely won't boot.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
All you'll have to do is overclock your CPU. You haven't specified if you replaced the stock cooler or not, but you should be able to keep temps in check up to about 2.8-3ghz on the stock cooler, depending on your case/ambient temps. If you have an aftermarket cooler, you should hit 3.4ghz no problem with your core voltage around 1.4v. If you don't know how to overclock, you'll need to do a bit of reading, but it's pretty much just raising the base clock and raising the voltage a little bit. Don't ever change your BIOS settings without knowing what you're doing though, you might fry your system. :x

Overclocking Ram has no real value in games. Trust me I've tested it with my DDR3 RAM going from 1066-1753mhz with CAS 5-7 timings. 80-90% of the performance is your GPU, unless the game is really picky with a faster CPU overclock.

alobino

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Ok this is getting very technical .. yet interesting :) I need to read a bit on over clocking ! As a newbie in these things, I don't want to "overclock" anything until I'm 100% sure my PC doesn't blow up or something :D

Monitor-wise, I'v decided to replace my current two 1680 monitors for a brand new 1920 Samsung.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
It's a great time to learn now, as there's a lot of info out there on your parts. Though these other guys know what they are talking about, it doesn't help you any if you don't know what they are talking about, so make sure to ask what you don't understand.

Overclocking isn't too hard a concept to understand. You'll find out that the base clock is what controls the speed of your CPU, RAM, and QPI. Each of those things have a multiplier that works with the base clock thus resulting in a certain speed (i.e. 400 base clock with a CPU multiplier of 8x results in a 3.2ghz OC). Higher speeds will need higher voltages and this is what causes more heat, thus the need of an aftermarket heatsink.

There are a lot of threads on your CPU, so try to google your CPU and motherboard to find out what settings you will typically see and try them out for yourself. If you need help in overclocking, I can try looking up your BIOS menu and suggest settings for you. Though I don't have experience with that motherboard, my lady has the same CPU but with a gigabyte motherboard. She only has an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, but it allowed her to get up to 3.4ghz without overheating. I'm sure if you have something equivalent or better, you can reach that same speed.

Hope you enjoy your new monitor and if you ever want to get into overclocking, try overclock.net for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.