Can I add a graphics card on my laptop?

lkh0227

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Hi i bought a new laptop and im not relly happy with my graphics card!
I do have an expresscard slot! Is there a graphics card that i can put it in? Or is my graphics card enough( wanna play Vindictus!)
The informations are:
Sony VAIO VPCF132FX/B Laptop Specs
◦16.4 inches of wide screen LCD display
◦1600 x 900 pixel of resolution
◦4GB of RAM
◦500GB Serial ATA hard disk drive
◦L3 cache
◦NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics card
◦Microsoft Windows 7 Home
Premium 64-bit operating system
◦Up to 2.93GHz Turbo Boost technology
◦Blu-ray disc optical drive
◦Memory card reader
◦Gigabit Ethernet
◦Bluetooth
◦Integrated webcam
◦USB 3.0, HDMI port
Thanks!

Unfortunately for laptops the GPU's are all embedded into the motherboard. So changing the GPU would mean changing the motherboard, that costs almost as much as the laptop itself. I had talked about this to an HP customer care representative long ago because my friend also had the same query. He gave me this detail. For a $600 laptop the expense of the change was something like $450-$500.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Not true. There are several makes and models of laptops (Dell, HP, Toshiba, and Alienware come to mind) that use a seperate card for the GPU. However, they're not all universally interchangable. Each brand of laptop usually uses a proprietary card, so your interchange choices are severely limited. Sony, however, doesn't use a seperate card as far as I know.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
A mobile GPU can be replaced only if it confirms to the MXM (Mobile PCI Express Module) standards. Your lappy doesn't fall in this category.

Even if you do have a lappy with this option, sourcing a MXM module is always a difficult thing, 10 times more difficult if you don't live in US. Even if you do manage to obtain one, there's no guarantee of compatibility etc. , and you won't find many people who have tried it to tell you about the success rate (which is usually 100% or 0%, nothing in between).