Sign in with
Your question

Can I add a graphics card on my laptop?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2011 6:19:38 AM

Hi i bought a new laptop and im not relly happy with my graphics card!
I do have an expresscard slot! Is there a graphics card that i can put it in? Or is my graphics card enough( wanna play Vindictus!)
The informations are:
Sony VAIO VPCF132FX/B Laptop Specs
◦16.4 inches of wide screen LCD display
◦1600 x 900 pixel of resolution
◦4GB of RAM
◦500GB Serial ATA hard disk drive
◦L3 cache
◦NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics card
◦Microsoft Windows 7 Home
Premium 64-bit operating system
◦Up to 2.93GHz Turbo Boost technology
◦Blu-ray disc optical drive
◦Memory card reader
◦Gigabit Ethernet
◦Bluetooth
◦Integrated webcam
◦USB 3.0, HDMI port
Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 7:03:08 AM

Unfortunately for laptops the GPU's are all embedded into the motherboard. So changing the GPU would mean changing the motherboard, that costs almost as much as the laptop itself. I had talked about this to an HP customer care representative long ago because my friend also had the same query. He gave me this detail. For a $600 laptop the expense of the change was something like $450-$500.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 1:04:29 PM

Not true. There are several makes and models of laptops (Dell, HP, Toshiba, and Alienware come to mind) that use a seperate card for the GPU. However, they're not all universally interchangable. Each brand of laptop usually uses a proprietary card, so your interchange choices are severely limited. Sony, however, doesn't use a seperate card as far as I know.
Related resources
January 18, 2011 2:51:00 PM

A mobile GPU can be replaced only if it confirms to the MXM (Mobile PCI Express Module) standards. Your lappy doesn't fall in this category.

Even if you do have a lappy with this option, sourcing a MXM module is always a difficult thing, 10 times more difficult if you don't live in US. Even if you do manage to obtain one, there's no guarantee of compatibility etc. , and you won't find many people who have tried it to tell you about the success rate (which is usually 100% or 0%, nothing in between).
August 23, 2012 2:49:43 PM

Village instruments just came out with this cool product! It goes into your express slot and adds desktop PCIE gPU cards to your laptop!

ViDock
!