Sign in with
Your question

First time builder! in need of suggestions and advice for 4.5K PC

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2011 8:07:21 PM

Hey everyone. Im a first time builder and have set a goal to build a new pc for myself. I would love to have some personal suggestions or advice from anyone who is knowledgeable and is willing to help. I came here because i hear there are pro's here, so that's a huge plus for me! as long as i can get worthwhile suggestions, i can proceed with confidence! thanks everyone.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next two months

Budget Range: 4500 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Audio engineering and creation, entertainment (movies, dvds, etc.) and word processing (MS office)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, or another reputable site.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU and Asus Mobo.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: May only purchase one GPU initially, then SLI it later on; set up must be HD 1080p. I will be leaving the Mobo and CPU for last so that I can skip the recall issue. I have already purchased the following components:

NZXT Phantom case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LG UH10LS20 OEM

WD Caviar black 2TB HD

These are the components I'm looking at:

1. Core i7 2600k

2. ASUS RoG Maximus IV

3. CRUCIAL REALSSD 256GB IHD

4. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 x2 in SLI

5. CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB 1600 mhz(3 x 4GB)

6. Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200-Watt PSU

7. WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-bit OS

8. HAUPPAUGE WinTV-hvr-2250

9. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi ELITE PRO

10. Logitech G15 keyboard

Not sure on HD monitors, Studio monitors, and as far as the mouse goes, I'm unsure whether to get the RAZER mamba or the LOGITECH G5. If anyone has any knowledge of audio interfaces for audio recording, I would love to hear from you as well. Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2011 12:30:39 AM

Excellent choices! Are you sure you have never built a PC before?

I don't know what type of mouse you currently have. I would strongly recommend Logitech MX-518 mouse; very precise.
Related resources
March 23, 2011 8:27:15 PM

This is my first PC build, so I really wanted to go top-of-the-line for it. I just wasn't sure if 1200W was overkill. I've heard some ppl on other forums say that I don't really need all that much, at most 850W or so, But I'd rather just be on the safe side, as I might upgrade later, and with SLI and stuff, its just better to have my bases covered. I dont have anything else except the case, HD, and optical drive. I will be looking into the mouse you've suggested. I'll also be checking the monitor as well, looks very solid. Thanks guys!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2011 10:18:39 PM

rg27021 said:
This is my first PC build, so I really wanted to go top-of-the-line for it. I just wasn't sure if 1200W was overkill. I've heard some ppl on other forums say that I don't really need all that much, at most 850W or so, But I'd rather just be on the safe side, as I might upgrade later, and with SLI and stuff, its just better to have my bases covered. I dont have anything else except the case, HD, and optical drive. I will be looking into the mouse you've suggested. I'll also be checking the monitor as well, looks very solid. Thanks guys!

I fully agree with your thinking. Yes 850 Watts will work well, but some motherboards like the EVGA Classified need two 8-pin power inputs. The HX-1000 and the AX 1200 come with two 8-pin cables. This is why I would suggest HX-1000 over the HX-850 (which is what I have now). AX 1200 is fine too. Pick whichever one you like, and don't worry about a little overkill!

The case you have picked looks cool; with plenty of air flow.
March 24, 2011 12:36:31 AM

thanks appreciate the advice! :D  however, i got a little problem. I checked out some user feedbacks of asus rampage and crosshair boards, and a good amount of ppl have had problems with those ROG boards. some are on their 3rd or 4th board in a year! so now idk whether to go asus or something else.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 12:48:34 AM

rg27021 said:
thanks appreciate the advice! :D  however, i got a little problem. I checked out some user feedbacks of asus rampage and crosshair boards, and a good amount of ppl have had problems with those ROG boards. some are on their 3rd or 4th board in a year! so now idk whether to go asus or something else.

Take a look at EVGA; great products; great support! I started with EVGA X58 3-way and then upgraded to EVGA X58 Classified. I am very very satisfied with EVGA; not one single issue in over 15 months! Their Sandy Bridge boards are not out yet.

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=5
March 24, 2011 2:27:19 AM

Ubrales said:
Take a look at EVGA; great products; great support! I started with EVGA X58 3-way and then upgraded to EVGA X58 Classified. I am very very satisfied with EVGA; not one single issue in over 15 months! Their Sandy Bridge boards are not out yet.

http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=5

I will definitely look at EVGA. hope to see something comparable to the RoG features. If thats the case, I'm sold.
March 24, 2011 7:29:24 AM

twixx said:
I recommend this monitor, I'm looking to buy it and my good friend has it and he says it's great http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14040MN8031&v...

With that budget, I think you could find a better monitor, here's some more reviews of it on Newegg: SAMSUNG 2494SW.

It only has 1 DVI input and 0 HDMIs. I currently have a monitor with only 1 HDMI and 0 DVI ports so I can't hook up my PS3 and computer at the same time which is incredibly annoying, but if you never want to hook up multiple things to your monitor like me, this probably wouldn't matter.

Look into the difference between IPS and TN monitors, here's a good IPS example (at least I think so): Dell Ultrasharp U2410.
March 24, 2011 12:54:46 PM

Apennyworth said:
With that budget, I think you could find a better monitor, here's some more reviews of it on Newegg: SAMSUNG 2494SW.

It only has 1 DVI input and 0 HDMIs. I currently have a monitor with only 1 HDMI and 0 DVI ports so I can't hook up my PS3 and computer at the same time which is incredibly annoying, but if you never want to hook up multiple things to your monitor like me, this probably wouldn't matter.

Look into the difference between IPS and TN monitors, here's a good IPS example (at least I think so): Dell Ultrasharp U2410.

I like this monitor. may just make it my new monitor. not too worried about hooking up my ps3 to it, tho....im getting a 55 inch for that bad mofo lol :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 1:00:31 PM

+1 to Dell's monitors. I actually just bought one literally 5 seconds ago off newegg (Dell E2011H, $109.99 after coupon code EMCKGHF45). I plan on getting 3 of these and mounting them with a triple mount. They're VESA 100 standard and LED backlit.

The professional (P) series is probably the best in terms of price vs. functionality, but the Ultrasharp's IPS displays kick ass if you have the money.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 2:21:17 PM

Yes, Dell's monitors are good value!
March 24, 2011 7:36:09 PM

awesome, sounds like a plan. Ok, got one more question to ask. So my sound card is PCI (not PCIe). Will I be able to hook it up to the Maximus 4? i didnt see a PCI slot. Maybe i just didnt pay attention.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 7:48:10 PM

You are correct about the motherboard not having a PCI slot. After using up two PCI-16/8 slots for your graphics cards, you will still have one PCI-16/8 slot and the sound card will fit in this slot.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 7:59:08 PM

Ubrales said:
You are correct about the motherboard not having a PCI slot. After using up two PCI-16/8 slots for your graphics cards, you will still have one PCI-16/8 slot and the sound card will fit in this slot.

The sound card will NOT work in a PCI-Express x16 slot. They are different both in terms of size and how data is handled.

You'll have to buy a PCI-Express x1 sound card or get a different board. If you're only planning on using 2 GPUs, you'll have plenty of options for a board that has 2 PCI-Express x16 and 1-2 PCI slots.
March 24, 2011 8:55:43 PM

I didnt think it would...balls :fou:  . Well, since my priority is gaming and audio engineering, i really want the x-fi elite pro. Anyone recommend any mobo's released or coming soon that could match the performance of the M4E while allowing me to connect this sound card to it? I truly appreciate this everyone!
March 24, 2011 9:07:10 PM

Well, your build is going to use about 850 watts all by it's self with fan, and over clocking 1000 watts would be enough. I know a lot of people are going to argue with me but those gtx 580's suck up a ton of power they are what are really killing you.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 9:23:42 PM

boiler1990 said:
The sound card will NOT work in a PCI-Express x16 slot. They are different both in terms of size and how data is handled.

You'll have to buy a PCI-Express x1 sound card or get a different board. If you're only planning on using 2 GPUs, you'll have plenty of options for a board that has 2 PCI-Express x16 and 1-2 PCI slots.

A few months ago, I had asked a similar question regarding expansion cards and slots. The answer I got was that if the card fits in a slot, it will work. Since PCI-Express x16 slots are primarily used for graphics cards, people tend to refer to them as "video slots", but my information is that if the card fits, it will work.

Can someone verify this? I certainly would like to have correct information.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 9:33:05 PM

Ubrales said:
A few months ago, I had asked a similar question regarding expansion cards and slots. The answer I got was that if the card fits in a slot, it will work. Since PCI-Express x16 slots are primarily used for graphics cards, people tend to refer to them as "video slots", but my information is that if the card fits, it will work.

Can someone verify this? I certainly would like to have correct information.

PCI cards will physically not fit in a PCI-Express Slot. See the picture here:  CIExpress.jpg" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:p CIExpress.jpg

Quote:
I didnt think it would...balls :fou:  . Well, since my priority is gaming and audio engineering, i really want the x-fi elite pro. Anyone recommend any mobo's released or coming soon that could match the performance of the M4E while allowing me to connect this sound card to it? I truly appreciate this everyone!

Define performance of the motherboard? Are you just talking about OCing? I've heard that the ASRock Extreme4 P67 OCs really easily and very well.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 9:54:24 PM

In terms of PCI-Express cards, that is true, since PCI-Express x1 and x4 devices fit in up to x16 slots.

PCI Express and PCI also operate using different architectures, so even if they did fit, they wouldn't work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Architecture
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2011 10:02:38 PM

boiler1990 said:
In terms of PCI-Express cards, that is true, since PCI-Express x1 and x4 devices fit in up to x16 slots.

PCI Express and PCI also operate using different architectures, so even if they did fit, they wouldn't work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Architecture

Thank you for this information.
March 25, 2011 10:57:39 PM

well, since the RoG board doesn't accept PCI (and seeing how my preferred sound card is PCI) it seems i need to look at a new mobo. Any suggestions? I plan to OC' to about 4.5 or so. I need a PCI slot, too....I was thinking the asus p8p67 deluxe. Your thoughts?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2011 12:01:49 AM

My choice is EVGA because of great boards ans superb tech support!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2011 12:35:44 AM

The ASRock Extreme4 P67 board is a great OCer from what I hear, and their quality is comparable to Asus.

I'd recommend EVGA for the GPUs. I had 2 of their 460s, and now 2 of the 470s, and their tech support is amazing. It puts other companies to shame. Plus, their warranties will cover your card even if you put an aftermarket cooler on it and/or OC it (as long as you don't break your card, like if the card just dies one day)
March 26, 2011 2:15:06 AM

Does EVGA have any mobo's for lga 1155? I didn't think they had any yet. I will also consider EVGA gpu's as well. thanks!
March 26, 2011 1:04:55 PM

i like the board, but the problem is it doesn't have a PCI slot (only PCIe). any thoughts on the asus p8p67 deluxe? that seems more likely the way i'll go. either that or the p67 sabertooth.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2011 3:51:12 PM

rg27021 said:
i like the board, but the problem is it doesn't have a PCI slot (only PCIe). any thoughts on the asus p8p67 deluxe? that seems more likely the way i'll go. either that or the p67 sabertooth.

They are all good quality boards. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Like picking a girlfriend!
March 26, 2011 11:31:44 PM

Ubrales said:
They are all good quality boards. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Like picking a girlfriend!

lol if thats the case, i'd be swapping mobo's every other day lol. well, i think im going with the p67 deluxe. its got some good features and PCI ports. anyone have experience with it? will it be easy to overclock?
March 27, 2011 9:17:35 AM

Seriously, for that kind of cabbage you could make 3 computers that would run all the games and audio engineering software equally well @ 1080p.

Ubrales said:
Excellent choices! Are you sure you have never built a PC before?

Ra! Ra! Runny! Spend more money!
Ubrales said:
Pick whichever one you like, and don't worry about a little overkill!

This is the worst advise I've seen for picking a PSU.
Ubrales said:

This thread is full of bad advise cheering :bounce:  you on to spend money haphazardly :non:  .

Having the best isn't what its all cracked up to be :o  :
1.) Its expensive :pt1cable:  and there are better ways to spend your money.
2.) It doesn't last :cry:  , there's always something better coming.
3.) It doesn't address your actual needs, only your desire :love:  for bragging rights.
4.) Its a poor investment :pfff:  , computer parts always depreciate in value.

Hmm where to start:

1.) i7 2600k is overpriced for the ~3% increase in performance over the i5 2500k.

2.) ASUS RoG Maximus IV is an enthusiast grade motherboard for people that game on higher resolution then 1080p, people who use these usually are water cooling 3 video cards. You would be better off with boiler1990's suggestion of ASRock Extreme4 P67 B3.

3.) CRUCIAL REALSSD 256GB is a really good SSD ...before you buy look to see if the OCZ Vertex 3 240GB is for sale.

4.) 580 GTX .....for 1080p ? really? Why do you need this much GPU? Throw me bone here tell me your gonna use nvidia 3d :sol:  glasses or something. These things can get really loud and not conducive to audio engineering or audio creation without aftermarket cooling. For your application I would recommend a single 560 ti GTX.

5.) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB 1600 mhz: Why buy a triple channel kit when 1155 is dual channel, this will leave you with 1 empty socket and your memory will not get the benefit of double data rate while unpaired? looks like your paying extra for a fan to go on top of your memory.....if your planning a large aftermarket CPU heatsink this could get in the way. Get 2 of these kits:

6.) Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200-Watt PSU: While this one got excellent reviews on JonnyGuru, I would not recommend it for your build. The reason why is due to the "gold" rating....and related coil whine. The largest complaint amongst gold rated PSU's is coil whine. A secondary reason is that you don't need a pair of GTX 580 to run 1080p and hence don't need the expensive 1200 watt PSU. This PSU is half the cost and providing 70% of the power, has excellent ratings on Jonnyguru, with no complaints of coil whine on newegg:

7.) Windows Ultimate 64: Just buy the Windows 7 Pro 64 OEM and your good.

8.) HAUPPAUGE WinTV-hvr-2250: What's up with this you didn't say anything about video or DVR in your "needs". Are you planning on running cable into your computer? If so then know you will need a cable box to watch encrypted channels, which kinda defeats the purpose. This thing is old and not very useful. If you plan on hooking up to cable tv take a look at the 1 x Ceton InfiniTV 4. If your just trying to capture video look at the Hauppauge Colossus.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/buy.php

9.) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi ELITE PRO: This thing is old (released in 2005) and overpriced for what it is ($420). Since audio is the main focus of your build I would suggest an audio interface with a firewire connection like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTU-Traveler-mk3-FireWire-Audio-...

10.) Logitech G15 keyboard: this is a good keyboard that fluctuates wildly in price. I got mine for ~$60.

March 27, 2011 2:12:14 PM

Having the best isn't what its all cracked up to be :o :
1.) Its expensive :pt1cable: and there are better ways to spend your money.
2.) It doesn't last :cry: , there's always something better coming.
3.) It doesn't address your actual needs, only your desire :love: for bragging rights.
4.) Its a poor investment :pfff: , computer parts always depreciate in value. said:

Having the best isn't what its all cracked up to be :o  :
1.) Its expensive :pt1cable:  and there are better ways to spend your money.
2.) It doesn't last :cry:  , there's always something better coming.
3.) It doesn't address your actual needs, only your desire :love:  for bragging rights.
4.) Its a poor investment :pfff:  , computer parts always depreciate in value.

Im not really looking for bragging rights at all. I'm fully aware that these parts never last, however, i do want a top of the line pc, and i'll be satisfied with the fact that i got great parts for my build that will last for me. I used a COMPAQ presario with a 667mhz pentium 2 for 10 years. got it in 99, just left it last year, for a slighly better pc, but the new pc wont run most older games at anything above low or medium (wont run newer games at all!). So hey, If my current build will last me ten years+ like my compaq, then thats a great investment to me! :) 

1.) i7 2600k is overpriced for the ~3% increase in performance over the i5 2500k.

2.) ASUS RoG Maximus IV is an enthusiast grade motherboard for people that game on higher resolution then 1080p, people who use these usually are water cooling 3 video cards. You would be better off with boiler1990's suggestion of ASRock Extreme4 P67 B3.

3.) CRUCIAL REALSSD 256GB is a really good SSD ...before you buy look to see if the OCZ Vertex 3 240GB is for sale.

4.) 580 GTX .....for 1080p ? really? Why do you need this much GPU? Throw me bone here tell me your gonna use nvidia 3d :sol: glasses or something. These things can get really loud and not conducive to audio engineering or audio creation without aftermarket cooling. For your application I would recommend a single 560 ti GTX.

5.) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB 1600 mhz: Why buy a triple channel kit when 1155 is dual channel, this will leave you with 1 empty socket and your memory will not get the benefit of double data rate while unpaired? looks like your paying extra for a fan to go on top of your memory.....if your planning a large aftermarket CPU heatsink this could get in the way. Get 2 of these kits:

6.) Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200-Watt PSU: While this one got excellent reviews on JonnyGuru, I would not recommend it for your build. The reason why is due to the "gold" rating....and related coil whine. The largest complaint amongst gold rated PSU's is coil whine. A secondary reason is that you don't need a pair of GTX 580 to run 1080p and hence don't need the expensive 1200 watt PSU. This PSU is half the cost and providing 70% of the power, has excellent ratings on Jonnyguru, with no complaints of coil whine on newegg:

8.) HAUPPAUGE WinTV-hvr-2250: What's up with this you didn't say anything about video or DVR in your "needs". Are you planning on running cable into your computer? If so then know you will need a cable box to watch encrypted channels, which kinda defeats the purpose. This thing is old and not very useful. If you plan on hooking up to cable tv take a look at the 1 x Ceton InfiniTV 4. If your just trying to capture video look at the Hauppauge Colossus.

10.) Logitech G15 keyboard: this is a good keyboard that fluctuates wildly in price. I got mine for ~$60. said:

4.) 580 GTX .....for 1080p ? really? Why do you need this much GPU? Throw me bone here tell me your gonna use nvidia 3d :sol:  glasses or something. These things can get really loud and not conducive to audio engineering or audio creation without aftermarket cooling. For your application I would recommend a single 560 ti GTX.

10.) Logitech G15 keyboard: this is a good keyboard that fluctuates wildly in price. I got mine for ~$60.

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate ppl who are trying to help me out. it really makes me wish i could build this pc now! lol. I originally planned this build around the 980x, but was blown away by the 2600k, so i made up my mind about the 2600k. however, i didnt really update some other components as well....Im switching the RoG to a ASUS P8P67 Deluxe. As far as RAM goes, I'm not sure yet. any thoughts? i want low latency dual channel RAM. I'll make sure to check out OCZ as well. and the gtx 580 is not only for power, but also in case i do wanna run a 3d setup later on. future proofing, as some ppl say. personally, i like the 580, thats why i wanna go with it. same with the psu. im looking for a high capacity psu in case i wanna upgrade or add more components (i.e. HD) later on. going for windows home edition, and the tv tuner might be scrapped off the list, too....I wanted to watch tv shows on it, cuz i dont ever really get to watch tv here at home.....everyone else gets to it first which leaves me tv-less. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on that g15, ty for the head's up!

9.) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi ELITE PRO: This thing is old (released in 2005) and overpriced for what it is ($420). Since audio is the main focus of your build I would suggest an audio interface with a firewire connection like this:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTU-Traveler-mk3-FireWire-Audio-... said:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTU-Traveler-mk3-FireWire-Audio-...

Here is where im a newb. Do you need a sound card to record audio tracks (I.E. Guitar/bass tracks)? or can i just grab a usb interface and be great? any help i can get in this matter is greatly needed and wanted!
March 29, 2011 11:13:13 AM

For a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) you need the following:
1.) A computer with lots of memory (Some people use 2 computers Both a PC and MAC)
2.) An audio interface (typically connected by Firewire, USB, or PCI)
3.) DAW Software (a good portion of this is MAC only software)
4.) Studio Monitor Speakers/ headphones (typically with flat response)
5.) Microphones/guitars with pick ups

A dedicated sound card is not necessary to record. That's what the audio interface does. Sound Cards are for playback and used less now that modern motherboards are including S/PDIFs and video cards are including bit streaming through HDMI. This digital output is sent directly to an amplifier/receiver.

Its better to buy a $1000-1500 computer and upgrade your CPU, GPU, and motherboard every 4 years then it is to buy the top of the line $4500 computer and upgrade every ten.

Wow you dropped the f-bomb......Future Proof. No matter how much money you throw at it you cannot prevent the future from happening. Future proofing is a lose-lose gamble. You are essentially betting that you know what the future will hold....and even if you guess right you end up paying more $ then if you had waited and bought when you needed it. The 580 GTX is a prime example. Today its gonna cost you ~$500. In 2 years when you buy that 3D HDTV it will be $300.
March 30, 2011 12:26:36 AM

3lvis said:
For a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) you need the following:
1.) A computer with lots of memory (Some people use 2 computers Both a PC and MAC)
2.) An audio interface (typically connected by Firewire, USB, or PCI)
3.) DAW Software (a good portion of this is MAC only software)
4.) Studio Monitor Speakers/ headphones (typically with flat response)
5.) Microphones/guitars with pick ups

A dedicated sound card is not necessary to record. That's what the audio interface does. Sound Cards are for playback and used less now that modern motherboards are including S/PDIFs and video cards are including bit streaming through HDMI. This digital output is sent directly to an amplifier/receiver.

Its better to buy a $1000-1500 computer and upgrade your CPU, GPU, and motherboard every 4 years then it is to buy the top of the line $4500 computer and upgrade every ten.

Wow you dropped the f-bomb......Future Proof. No matter how much money you throw at it you cannot prevent the future from happening. Future proofing is a lose-lose gamble. You are essentially betting that you know what the future will hold....and even if you guess right you end up paying more $ then if you had waited and bought when you needed it. The 580 GTX is a prime example. Today its gonna cost you ~$500. In 2 years when you buy that 3D HDTV it will be $300.

wow if thats the case i might just drop the sound card. or get a cheaper one. either way, thanks for that. While i do want to "future-proof" this pc (I know that is literally impossible) I do feel confident that if I proceed with the aforementioned parts, then I will be set for a couple of years. thats what I'm looking for. As long as that gtx will last me a few years, I'll be fine. After a few years, I'll check on the market for my upgrading choices, and if there are worthwhile choices, then I'll upgrade. But I know that If I do invest in a gtx 580 now, I'll know that it will last me a while without giving me any issues. Thanks for your advice! I made a wise decision asking around here.
March 30, 2011 11:09:47 AM

Change the dominator to corsair vengeance. It's newer. Very nice CPU, case looks sick, Oh and definatley get a CPU cooler, try coolermaster maybe a v8 or v10.
!